Skip navigation
agamemnus_0
Currently Being Moderated

How can I make a photoshop filter tile or wrap-around edges?

Jun 23, 2013 10:22 AM

Hi,

I have a procedurally generated image (a bird's eye terrain map). The edges wrap-around (I can tile the image without seams) I applied the Sponge artistic filter on it, but the edges don't match anymore.

Is there any way to get a Photoshop filter to recognize the opposite edge's pixels so that it maintains my tile effect? Thanks.

terrain.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 25, 2013 12:55 AM   in reply to agamemnus_0

I guess you could make an arrangement of 4 instances (2 horizontal, 2 vertical), apply the Filter and then cut out a region of the original dimensions.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 5:13 AM   in reply to agamemnus_0

Convert your image into a 'New Tiled Painting from Layer' in the 3D menu. Now apply your filter. When you are finished double click on the diffuse texture in the layers palette to save out your filtered tiling image.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 10:54 AM   in reply to agamemnus_0

I don't know of a way to make the filter you ran on it recognize that you wanted to maintain the tiling ablility on the edges. 

If you aren't concerned with it looking exactly the same you could always run the process of Filter/other/overpass using 50% pixels both ways and "wrap" and get a new tile.  It will move things around though, yet it only takes a minute or two and looks similar. 

I suppose that is maybe how you made the tile in the first place, in which case this wouldn't help to keep the image as you had it and just correct the edges.

terrain2.png

Message was edited by: LMn0P

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 11:09 AM   in reply to agamemnus_0

Alright, I figured that might be the case.  Sorry I don't have any answers then besides what you already did manually.

Only thing I can think of is if there is a chance you can run the filter on the entire image before you run your algorithm on it. Otherwise you need exactly what you asked for and I've never really heard of it unless someone has a script or something that can help you.

Message was edited by: LMn0P

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 1:51 PM   in reply to agamemnus_0

LMnOP's suggestion will work. If you Offset by 50% Horizontal and Vertical, work on the center of the result, and Offset by 50% again, things will be back to the initial position.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 3:27 PM   in reply to agamemnus_0

Did you try c.pfaffenbichler suggestion?

Extend the canvas size by 300 percent and tile the borders like this:

tiling.gif

Run the filter and the crop the canvas back to the original size of your image.

I tried it and got a tiling image.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 11:09 PM   in reply to agamemnus_0

I do not seem to get seams.

Are you sure you understood what I recommended?

seamlessFilterTestScr.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 10:26 PM   in reply to agamemnus_0

Yes, I understood.

Are you sure?

just cropping out one part of the new tiled image won't work.

Why?

Cutting out a segment of the original dimensions provides an equally sized and seamless pattern, does it not?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 11:19 PM   in reply to agamemnus_0

I used 4 so what 5 elements are you talking about?

I think you are wrong, in my test this worked out fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 11:33 PM   in reply to agamemnus_0

The screeshot in post 13 should illustrate what I am talking about.

By using 4 instances of the element, applying the filter to the complete arrangement and cutting an area of the original size from the center one can get a seamless pattern.

It was brenBot that recommended 5 elements; 9 could work to get a seamless pattern without any offset.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 11:39 PM   in reply to agamemnus_0

seamlessFilterTest.jpg

The screenshot should have made clear that the area needs to be in the center.

I cut a 1000px by 1000px pattern from the middle of the image (jpg attached) and could not discern seams.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 11:48 PM   in reply to agamemnus_0

I did a few tests awhile back and forgot to get back to this thread. Its not going to work. I think its due to the random nature of the filter. Its  filtering loosely on color/value .. not exactly on color/value.

c.pfaffenbichler may not be experiencing it as it is more noticeable on larger images.

There are programs that do this kind of tiling .. try:

http://www.spiralgraphics.biz/genetica.htm

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 11:56 PM   in reply to brenBot

It seems I owe the OP an apology.

That I could not notice borders may have been owed to the fact that I used the Filter with relatively small values and the issue did not become apparent at those.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 3:58 AM   in reply to agamemnus_0

Sorry .. but looks like youll have to tweak it by hand

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers