Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

On Dreamweaver CC how do I get to the css rule definition box?

Jun 23, 2013 5:24 PM

Tags: #css #box #definition #rule

On the other Dreamweavers when I wanted to edit a css, I selected the css and clicked on the pencil icon to open the css rule definition box.

The only way I find to get acess to the css rule definition box on the new CC is when I am creating a new div and then there is a option for a new style and it opens the box.

My question is how do I get to the box once the rule is created? the pencil icon is not there anymore.

Not good breaking workflows Adobe, some folks have work in progress...

Please help, thanks.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105870069/img/ask.png

Replies
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 23, 2013 9:40 PM   in reply to Nuno Arraia

The new CSS Designer in CC has a lot more features and has a different interface to that of the previous versions of DW.

To edit styles for a chosen selector, you need to first highlight the selector in the 'Selectors' panel. In your case, select '#wrapper' from Selectors panel first. Then, the 'Properties' panel below it will display all available customizations you can make to that selector.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2013 1:23 AM   in reply to Nuno Arraia

Please refer to the help document explaining the details on the new CSS Designer Panel.

http://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/css-designer.html

Thanks

Bhawna

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 10:30 AM   in reply to Nuno Arraia

I absolutely despise the new CSS Designer.  I just uninstalled CC and reverted to CS6.  It's awful.  Just awful.  Why wouldn't we just be given the option to use the properties box we've been using for so many years?

Also, I can't stand that certain interactions in CC applications require that I actually press down the physical button on my MacBook Pro trackpad.  Tapping won't work anymore.  I have to physically press down the button.  Why on earth would tapping functionality be altered?  That shouldn't even be allowed.  The OS-level settings should always override. 

Overall, very disappointed with some of the "enhancements" in the CC versions of the Adobe apps.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2013 12:01 PM   in reply to Nuno Arraia

I'm thinking the fact that double clicking in the CSS Designer does NOT open the CSS Rule Definition box is a bug.

There is a workaround, even though it's a bit tedious to have to move your mouse across the whole screen instead of just double clicking.

Click on the rule you want to edit in CSS Designer, then on the left side of the property inspector (bottom of the screen), click 'Edit Rule'.

Voila, this will give you the CSS Rule Definition box.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2013 12:23 PM   in reply to Nuno Arraia

this workaround only seems available if you're working on the visual page... i cannot access the "edit rule" dialog when working strictly with the .css file... which was extremely helpful (tho yes, admittedly lazy and not brain-taxing). I cannot see the colours anymore... so when i'm tring to work quickly, i'm completely stymied... the properties panel does not seem to display the colour swatch like it used to for, say, background, or color properties. THIS IS NOT HELPFUL.

IS THERE SOMEWHERE i need to turn it ON?? or is this a bug?? (i'm using pc version, not mac)

i don't know about the rest of you, but i cannot memorize the hexcodes for 120 different designs... and what colour they actually are...

i really LIKED being able to SEE the colour in the properties box when editing the .css file...

please help. this is screwing with my workflow... hopefully i'm just missing something, and adobe didn't just arbitrarily get rid of that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2014 8:54 AM   in reply to sedesign

I agree, please bring back the CSS Rule Definition dialog box! At least make it an option in the preferences. I dislike having to click and unclick that "Show Set" thing too.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2014 8:58 AM   in reply to cknyght

cknyght wrote:

I agree, please bring back the CSS Rule Definition dialog box! At least make it an option in the preferences. I dislike having to click and unclick that "Show Set" thing too.

It still exists in CC, though it's undocumented and may not stay.

Hit Ctrl + Alt +Shift + P and the CSS Designer will turn into the old CSS Panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2014 8:00 AM   in reply to Jon Fritz II

Great tip, it works, thank you! The only weird thing it that you can't double click a rule like you used to, you have to right click and select edit to view the dialog box.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2014 9:29 AM   in reply to Jon Fritz II

Thanks for this.  I'm on a Mac though and I figured out that I needed to do Command + Option + Shift + P.

I would really hope Adobe keeps this as an option.  I've been using CS6 up until today because of this.  Not all of us are preschool-level designers who need visual guides for all CSS rules.  The old system works perfectly—it's easy to work with and saves me a lot of time, as compared to manually editing CSS files.  Sure, it requires a fairly thorough knowledge of CSS, but Adobe needn't punish me for knowing my CSS.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2014 11:59 AM   in reply to ohio818

I can't remember the last time I used DW's CSS panels. If you know CSS, why not use code view?  DW's Code Hinting is very good &  it's much quicker to edit code directly in the style sheet than it is in CSS panels.  

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2014 12:05 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

Nancy O. wrote:

I can't remember the last time I used DW's CSS panels. If you know CSS, why not use code view?  DW's Code Hinting is very good &  it's much quicker to edit code directly in the style sheet than it is in CSS panels.  

Nancy O.

I like to modify CSS as I'm coding the HTML side of things, and I like to have the HTML code consume most of my screen. I don't like to flip back and forth between scripts to make a quick change to the CSS. This is just how I work best. I find the old-fashioned CSS Styles panel to have the perfect blend of raw editability and code hinting.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2014 1:44 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

Nancy O. wrote:

Nancy O.

That depends a bit on the situation. For example, in Netbeans I use the live connection with Chrome (embedded view or not) and I can then select an item in the live view in Chrome, which opens the css properties panes. These are quite similar to DW.

By changing the values in the css properties pane the changes in values are automatically saved in the css file, and visually updated in realtime in Chrome.

It can be very handy to quickly change the position or margin/padding/size of an element this way without having to switch back and forth to your css. Bit similar to the inspect element pane in FF and Chrome, and the changes are immediately saved.

When I still used DW I used it in the same manner for quick visual changes - and no reason to rummage through my css code.

In short, those css inspector panes can work quite efficiently when you need to polish the css code.

Granted, I would never use it while working on the main css code - but for slight and quick changes it can be a very handy feature.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2014 2:16 PM   in reply to Herbert2001
    In short, those css inspector panes can work quite efficiently when you need to polish the css code.

For quick edits, sure.  But I don't rely on them much.  For majority of my CSS revisions, I use Firefox with the Web Developer Toolbar.  Same workflow as yours.  You can edit CSS in real time.  Copy & paste revised code into DW & save.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2014 2:43 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

That's what I used to do - but the copying and pasting part just broke my workflow.

Are you aware of the style editor in FF's web developer tools? Very handy, since it allows you to change the css code in any of the css files, while it updates the screen instantly.

Tools->Web Developer->Style Editor.

Major selling point: you can save those changes, and the css style editor allows you to turn css style sheet on or off in a layer-like fashion.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2014 2:56 PM   in reply to Herbert2001

Cool!

N

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2014 8:13 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

You want to hear something really weird? I do most of my CSS editing in chrome using the inspect feature or in Safari on a Mac. You can edit the CSS code right on the webpage using the inspect code tool, watch the changes, and then just copy and paste the entire CSS document into your original.

Most of my original CSS is written my hand, but the web inspector in chrome or Safari is a marvelous and handy tool to help you figure out where your CSS has gone wrong.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2014 5:21 AM   in reply to Rick Gerard

Rick - I agree with you. The style editors in Safari, Chrome, Opera or FF are an indispensible tool for me.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points