Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

16 hours to transcode 14.8Gb (of 62Gb) from m2ts > flv. Cost for min wage intern: $512.00. Normal?

Jun 23, 2013 5:22 PM

Just finished transcoding some m2ts files to flv and it took about an hour per gig. I have a total of 62Gb to transcode. Based on an 8 hour day thats over 7 days work. Paying an intern CA minimum wage with no overtime is about $512.00 for supervising the transcoding process (Media Encoder crashes when so many files are queued up).

I'm happy that the converted clips are about a third the size of the original but it is taking a long time.

A clip that is 1:28 minutes in length is taking 4:38 minutes to transcode.

Is this about normal?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 23, 2013 5:54 PM   in reply to MD Optofonik

1-what is your hardware?

2-what effects are you using?

3-are you changing the screen size?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 7:16 PM   in reply to MD Optofonik

Unfortunately, that is just about normal for your system.

Remember the thread which discussed the GT 640 and another thread that discussed the GT 630? Well, it appears that you completely ignored my recommendations against either GPU, and went with the GT 630. That GPU is slow as molasses on a system with even the very fastest of CPUs, especially when equipped with lousy, slow DDR3 VRAM. And as I stated in the GT 630 thread, the retail version of that GPU is not a Kepler series GPU at all - but a rehashed old Fermi-derived GPU (in this case, the GT 630 is a renamed GT 440). In fact, given the drawbacks of having a small, cramped case with little airflow capability I would have recommended the GT 640 over the GT 630 that you got despite the performance deficiencies of both GPUs.

In other words, you have totally wasted your money on that GT 630.

Also, if you're recompressing video without resizing, then your CPU and RAM combo is simply too weak to handle this task. CS6 works best on a quad-core or better Intel CPU with hyperthreading and more than 16GB of RAM. Unfortunately, you have an AMD CPU which lacks full support for the SSE 4.x instruction set that Adobe makes heavy use of.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 9:40 PM   in reply to MD Optofonik

MD Optofonik wrote:

As far as Fermi vs Kepler I'm not sure which Kepler cards are in Adobe's list of recommended cards. Can you point them out to me for future reference? Thanks in advance.

Here's the link to the supported GPU's in Premiere Pro CC.

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.html

Peter Garaway

Adobe

Premiere Pro

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 10:12 PM   in reply to petergaraway

I have no idea why Adobe has not tested the GTX-670 when it is quite popular, but I can assure that it works just fine. Even though it is not on the list.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 6:35 PM   in reply to MD Optofonik

MD Optofonik wrote:

... (Media Encoder crashes when so many files are queued up).

- Don't load up so many clips.

- Have other things for your "intern" to do instead of just staring at the progress bar.

- Transcode on your own time... overnight (minus the intern)

- Upgrade your Workstation.

- Figure out a different Workflow.

* Would you rather pay an "intern" minimum wage or an editor their rate to babysit AME 8hrs a day, 7days a week? (I would charge you $1,960)

What's your reason for an MTS to FLV  Transcode?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 2:05 PM   in reply to MD Optofonik

MD Optofonik wrote:

It does look like there is no need to use proxies in Premiere...

You were gonna use FLV's as your intermediate/proxies?

- Read that book... NOW!!!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points