Skip navigation
cantfindascreenname21
Currently Being Moderated

How to zoom without increasing scale window?

Jun 23, 2013 8:54 PM

Tags: #zoom_setting #lock_position #help_me_please

I have about 10 images on the screen, all set in place where I want them to be. Obviously, if i use the scale or position functions under the motion effects tab, i am able to move the images around which effectively can increase the sizes and move the images from side to side etc. So where I am stuck is, that I am now am trying to somehow lock these images that I have on screen, but still being able to zoom or position the images within their current placings without the image windows or borders moving at all. So is this possible to lock or freeze the images, but still be able to play with the scale inside the image windows?  

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 23, 2013 9:54 PM   in reply to cantfindascreenname21

Nested sequences.

I assume that you want a picture-in-picture where the image continues to take up, let's say, one quarter or less of the screen, but you want to zoom back up to 100% and yet have the image still take up one quarter or less of the screen. Is that right?

If you put the image into a sequence that is the size of one quarter of the frame (half of each dimension), you can start with the picture scaled down to fit into the smaller frame, and then zoom back up to 100%,using the position parameter to make sure to have the part of the picture you want to show as the center of the smaller frame. Then just drop that sequence on to the original sequence. You can still resize the nested sequence even smaller if you wish just by using the Scale parameter of the nested sequence

Like this? I just put the image in a small sequence (960X540) and used the titler to but a frame around it. When I got it into the main sequence I realized I wanted it smaller still, so I just positioned it and scaled it to where I wanted it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 11:36 PM   in reply to cantfindascreenname21

I started to type this out and realized it would be easier to show you via a tutorial. Then my tutorial software decided to fail me for the first time.

So here goes.

Assuming your video is 1080p 30fps.

Create a sequence for the picture using custom settings of 960X540 which is one quarter of the size of the HD frame. Put your image on that sequence. Put a title over it using a white rectangle, but uncheck the "Fill" and add an inside stroke - make it white.

Use keyframes to zoom in or out on the image over time. Remember to use Ease Out and Ease In..

Go back to the original sequence with the video and grab the newer sequence of of the Project panel and drop it above the video track on the timeline. Use Motion to scale it down if needed and to position it on the frame.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 7:08 AM   in reply to cantfindascreenname21

I had trouble getting my recordings to work properly, so I did some last night and finished up this morning, then combined them.

So, here is the result:

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 11:13 PM   in reply to cantfindascreenname21

I am glad it worked out for you.

If your video is on the web, especially on YouTube or Vimeo, you just click on the icon above that looks like a little film strip and paste in the embed code that you can copy when you right click on the YouTube video. That puts it into the forum post.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points