Skip navigation
Benny57K
Currently Being Moderated

CC clipping

Jun 24, 2013 2:11 AM

Hello,
I have a problem...

When I open my images in Photoshop CC I get strange clipping effects, colored areas, that looks something like the shadow- and highlight-clipping in the Camera Raw histogram.
It is only visible within the image area, not in the navigator or in the filter gallery, for instance.
The problem is not there all the time, however. When I installed CC a week ago, I thought that it was a setting problem or a feature I wasn't aware of so I spent a good while trying
to find a way to turn this off, without success. (It's not the gamut warning, by the way!) I have never seen this in the CS versions and all settings are identical to my CS6 settings.
Well, I couldn't find a way to solve this so I worked in CS6 but later that evening I checked CC again and then it was OK, suddenly. And it was OK for two days!
But thursday evening it was back again.

I've noticed that CC behaves a little differently depending on my login status. It was obvious when I re-installed my external filters, for instance. And on Saturday, I managed to
get rid of this image error, just by logging out and in again. But it does not always work, unfortunately.

So what is this?
Does CC use my internet connection for optimal performance? And work less well when I'm not logged in properly…?
Or is there a simpler solution that I have not found yet?

Replies
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,826 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jun 24, 2013 2:38 AM   in reply to Benny57K

Is this random areas of colour?  Sounds like video driver.  Not sure why it is only happening with CC though.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Jun 24, 2013 4:02 AM   in reply to Benny57K

Hello Could you post a screen capture?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4209263#4209263

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,826 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jun 24, 2013 4:24 AM   in reply to Benny57K

What color space are you working in?  Could a wide gamut space like Prophoto be causing problems with your monitor?  Cl;utching at straws, and I still think it is video driver related.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,826 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jun 24, 2013 4:25 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

But then we wouldn't be seeing the problem would we? 

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,826 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jun 24, 2013 5:19 AM   in reply to Benny57K

Has one of your children covered your monitor with fridge magnets?   I think we need Chris Cox for this one.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2013 10:20 AM   in reply to Benny57K

This could be due to a bad video card/driver, a corrupt display profile, or a defective monitor ("the flashback transformer!" :-> )

Try setting the GPU display mode to Off, or Basic - then restart Photshop.  If that works, then it's the video card or driver.  If it is still messed up after that, then it's the profile or display.

Which OS version are you using?

What video card/GPU ?

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,826 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jun 24, 2013 3:52 PM   in reply to Benny57K

Benny, I was thinking it had to be video driver or monitor, but I also thought that the problem would not be there on a saved image file.  Looks like it would be, but surely that logic would not apply to a bad monitor.  We sometimes have people complain about problems we simply can't see, because the problem is with their display system, and ours is OK.  Chris is a The Man though.

Your Dell sounds like a laptop?  Can you plug it into your TV as a second monitor.  Super easy with Win 7.  Hit the Windows key (between Ctrl and Alt) and p, and chose duplicate.  (Assuming you have a suitable cable.)

Do you have a speaker close to your monitor?  Especially if is not a proper Computer speaker. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2013 4:20 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

A speaker / magnet would only affect an old CRT, not a flat panel display.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,826 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jun 24, 2013 4:44 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Thanks Chris.  Now I feel REALLY old LOL.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points