Skip navigation
londonjonesy
Currently Being Moderated

How do I edit text on a pdf created with photoshop?

Jun 24, 2013 5:51 AM

Hi,

I have saved a layered .psd file as a photoshop pdf, and have opened with Acrobat Pro.  Accorinding to the documentation, as long as I have preserved the layers, I should be able to edit the text by going to Tools>Content>Edit Document Text

Although it doesn't seem to recognise the text as editable.

Am i doing something wrong, or is this not possible?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2013 5:57 AM   in reply to londonjonesy

I don't think that is possible. To the best of my knowledge, Photoshop creates bitmap graphics and does not have text as such embedded.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 7:30 AM   in reply to londonjonesy

If you have the PDF from either method, just open it in Acrobat and then use ctrl-D>Fonts and see if there are any fonts used. My guess is that anything created in PhotoShop will be a bitmap. However, I do not have PhotoShop and cannot address that issue directly. You might get your answers in the PhotoShop or ID forums, or wait around for someone with experience there to venture an opinion.

If you have fonts when you open the PDF ini Acrobat, then it may be possible to edit the file. However, editing in Acrobat not a preferred method. Acrobat edits should be limited to minor corrections, unless you are looking at the use of form fields. The text editing tool in Acrobat is rather crude, but often will do the job for minor edits. It is always recommended to go back to the original document for any editing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 8:08 AM   in reply to Bill@VT

A Photoshop PDF is a special flavor of PDF.

Photoshop doesn't have any options for controlling the subsetting of fonts in a PS PDF.

While Acrobat can recognize the font in Document info. Acrobat by itself doesn't edit this text.

Maybe newer versions have more ability to do this however.

Even PitStop will throw up some warning messages, but not ultimately edit the text.

Again, maybe newer versions work better.

Surprisingly your method of placing in Indesign and refying the PDF finally would allow PitStop to edit the text.

However,since PS only subsets the glyphs actually used this is not much of an improvement.

Best to reopen the Photoshop PDF in PS to edit the text.

(you did select, retain Photoshop editing capability and made sure layers are saved when saving this Photoshop PDF, right?)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 12:39 PM   in reply to londonjonesy

You wrote: I have tried creating the background image as a pdf . . .

The whole thing is already a PDF.

What application are you using to try and make changes?

Are you now using InDesign to recreate the gift voucher?

Or are you opening the Photoshop PDF and trying to resize the live text layers?

There shouldn't be any issue with making 120 pt text. I just created a 250 pt text layer in PS as a test.

Have you enlarged the text box? If the text box isn't that big. making the text larger make cause it to overset and no longer be visible.

Grab the corner of the text box and drag it to enlarge it.

If things aren't working correctly, it would be faster to recreate the gift voucher in InDesign.

You mentioned having the background image, just add the text are you are ready to print.

----------------------------

After rereading your last post it is unclear who will be adding the text for the money amount.

Are you adding this yourself before printing, or are you hoping to give a PDF to the client where he can add/change the money amount?

Things like this need to be mentioned upfront.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 3:46 PM   in reply to londonjonesy

Maybe I missed something, but why don't you just reopen in Photoshop? Editing in Acrobat is a desperate last resort for when the origisnl is lost, not a routine.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 1:41 AM   in reply to londonjonesy

Sorry, it is a broken requirement. Many people want to collaborate on design using different software but it doesn't fly.

FOrm fields are a notable exception, but you are stuck with their limits.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 1:42 AM   in reply to Test Screen Name

BUt still.... Text in Photoshop is a BadIdea except for the specific case of web graphics. InDesign for adding text to a picture, or Illustrator, except for the most special of special effects.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 6:45 AM   in reply to Test Screen Name

You may also want to create a simple PDF that the customer could try editing the text in. They may change their mind fast. It is not a great idea at all and can be real wierd at times.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points