Skip navigation
thewinchesterau
Currently Being Moderated

Inserting a Mac command symbol into a document

Jun 24, 2013 9:41 AM

Tags: #text #symbol #indesign_cc

Ok, this should be so simple but it's doing my head in.

Basically, I'm preparing an indesign document - specifically a clue card sheet for call centre workers who use a Mac platform.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to insert the various symbols for keyboard commands (such as Unicode 2318 for the Command symbol, or 2325 for Option).

Worse still, I'm using a Mac - and whenever I copy and paste the unicode symbol from another application, i.e. TextEdit after dragging it from the charachter pallete it still doesn't display.

Where I'm expecting symbols, all I see are these boxes with crosses through the middle (image below).

Screen Shot 2013-06-25 at 12.17.30 AM.png

INDD file was originally created using CS5.5 on a Windows machine, and where these boxes are appearing - font is listed as Segoe UI Symbol (An MS Office specific font). Cannot find an alternate font either, and my google-fu is letting me down finding the answer to this.

Any help to get this done properly appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2013 10:02 AM   in reply to thewinchesterau

You need to pick a font which has the character (glyph) you want to use. This is easy on a Mac if you use these steps:

(1) In System Preferences > Language & Text > Input Sources, turn on Keyboard & Character Viewer (at the top of the list).

(2) Open the Character Viewer from the menulet at the top of your screen:

Safari002.jpg

(3) In the Character Viewer, select Unicode and select the Unicode value:

Safari001.jpg

(4) Select one of the Font Variations on the right and observe the font with that glyph:

Safari003.jpg

(5) Return to InDesign and open the Glyphs panel (Type > Glyphs). In the menu select the font, in this case Charcoal CY. From the menu of glyphs for that font, select Symbols. Double-click to insert the symbol.

InDesign001.jpg

(6) To reuse the glyph, include it in a Glyph Set.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points