Skip navigation
mike2318
Currently Being Moderated

Indesign data merge and a very arge csv file

Jun 24, 2013 11:25 AM

Tags: #indesign_data_merge_large_csv_file

Hello all,

I have a bit of an issue with data merge. I have about 35 product sell sheets, all with the same categories. I am trying to do this via data merge in indesign (ind cs6). Now the csv file that I am using is very large. It has about 75 columns in it. Some of the columns have a lot of text like the ingredients for each product which can be up to 200 words or more. My problme is that when I create a merged documnet I am only getting the first 6 columns to populate the document.

I have tried everything: taking out all myspaces in the header rows, eliminating all the empty columns etc. Funny thing is when I delete the first 6 columns and try again, the next 6 will populate just fine.

Is there some sort of column imit in the csv file?

I cannot figure this out for the life of me and have read every forum I can get my hands onbut they all seem to talk about business cards, envelopes or building a simple catalog template, nothing that includes this much information to be  merged.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Mike

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2013 11:43 AM   in reply to mike2318

I do an association directory once a year with data merge and it has about two dozen fields ( and the first time I did it I used the client's Excel file with another two dozen irrelevant columns as the source), so no, the number of columns should not be an issue.

Can you show us a screen shot of your template? Are you using the Preview feature?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 12:03 PM   in reply to mike2318

I'd start by changing any field names that use parentheses or any other special characters.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 12:49 PM   in reply to mike2318

How did you create the .csv? Have you also tried Tab-Delimited .txt? Are there any line breaks inside any of the fields (your descriptions, for example)?

Again, are you pressing the preview button before you merge? If you are, try without.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 1:01 PM   in reply to mike2318

Line breaks are definitely a problem. Substitute a code you can use in Find/Change after the merge to locate where they should be and replace the code with the breaks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 1:32 PM   in reply to mike2318

I mean actual line breaks (paragraph return or newline), not line wrapping if the length of a string exceeds the width of the cell.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 1:40 PM   in reply to mike2318

Let's try making a new file with one large frame and just drag all the fields into it without worrying about formatting and see if they all populate.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 1:50 PM   in reply to mike2318

Try pulling just the ingredients field from the test file

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 1:52 PM   in reply to mike2318

What is the file's format in the sense of ASCII, ANSI, UTF-8?

As a last resort, can you share the CSV file via dropbox.com? If you cannot share it publically, consider uploading it to dropbox.com and providing a link to it via a private message.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 2:00 PM   in reply to mike2318

Many/Most text editors will show what the type of text file is, and or allow one to change it.

Mainly a curiosity. But it can affect certain data as they encode the text file differently.

Mike

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points