Skip navigation
Onur Orhon
Currently Being Moderated

System file associations - cannot select Bridge.

Jun 24, 2013 12:31 PM

Since I upgraded to CS6 last year, I can't seem to change my file type associations to point image files to open in Bridge, and it's driving me crazy. On a Windows computer, I right-click and select "open with", then browse and choose Bridge.exe, but for some reason the selection doesn't persist, and I'm back to whatever was originally assigned for that file type.

This started happening when I uninstalled Adobe CS4 on my system. I have a feeling in the registry the path is still pointing to the old folders that are no longer there, (or something like that) but I don't know how to fix. I thought upgrading to CC would fix it, but it didn't.

I would appreciate if anybody has any ideas.

Thanks,

-Onur

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2013 1:19 PM   in reply to Onur Orhon

Yes, uninstalling an older version can foul up file associations.

Also, bridge is a brower, not a application to open image.  You need it to be CS6, not Bridge.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jun 24, 2013 1:22 PM   in reply to Onur Orhon

I would appreciate if anybody has any ideas.

Not a windows user but  first try to reset the preferences for Bridge, hold down control key why restart Bridge and check 'reset preferences' then try again.

If you are unsure about a correct uninstall you might consider to run the Adobe Cleaner Tool:

You will find it here including instructions for how to use it, read carefully!:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 3:30 PM   in reply to Onur Orhon

Did you try what I suggested?  What does jpeg, tiff, etc. try to open in?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 8:26 PM   in reply to Onur Orhon

Absolutely not, I do not understand what you are trying to do.  As I stated in my first post  "bridge is a browser, not a application to open image.  You need it to be CS6, not Bridge".

So what are you trying to open in Bridge?  You already have it open to select an image, so how can you open it again?  Must be missing something here.

If you want to open Bridge you just click on the icon.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jun 25, 2013 7:34 AM   in reply to Onur Orhon

It was really convenient being able to launch it from within a folder full of images, instead of starting it generically, then browsing to that folder. With me so far?

I'm with you so far but don't agree about being convenient

Never used Bridge this way because Bridge is the first application I start and it is the central place for my work as photographer. On a Mac I tried what you always did, in Finder choose info for a selected DNG file and set Bridge as application to open it in.

It accepted this and double click on it did start Bridge. However my problem is that I always use stacks to organize my files in the content panel for a better oversight. The dng file I selected in Finder was part of such a stack and opening it the way your would like to use works but did unstack al my files in the content panel.

There is a longstanding problem with stacks ungroup them selves every now and then so I don't know it was a coincidence but I'm not giving it an other try…

As said many times before, so many users so many workflows.

Using Bridge CC on a Mac with OSX10.8.4 I still have the ability to select Bridge as default application to open a file in. I have no reason to believe this should be exclusive for Mac so the problem is likely to be found on your side I'm afraid

Don't know anything relevant about Windows, for a Mac you could try to repair permissions, try an other users etc but that is no help to you at this moment.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 9:07 AM   in reply to Onur Orhon

Onur Orhon wrote:

In windows, (or OSX, doesn't matter) you know how you can associate files with applications? So when you are in explorer (or finder), you double click a file and it opens in the app you associated it with?

If you want to associate a file to Bridge outside of Bridge, then as you surmise, you have to use the OS File Associations.  THat is is control panel/programs/default programs/set associations

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 11:15 AM   in reply to Onur Orhon

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\op en\command

I just changed it to: "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Bridge CC (64 Bit)\Bridge.exe" "%1"

Does anyone know what the equivalent Path and File in OSX 10.8.4 might be?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 11:17 AM   in reply to CameraAnn

If you are having the problem might try the Apple permission and disk check utility first.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 2:41 PM   in reply to Curt Y

I have done ALL of that  — several times over! And to no avail.

There must be a Mac OSX equivalent to the Windows file ( there are several possibilities  — but I would like to know which file is actually the culprit.

It's not life-treatening (because I changed all Associations manually in Bridge CC to point to Ps CC and I almost never open files from the Finder) but I would like to squash this bug once and for all.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 11:44 AM   in reply to CameraAnn

Update on this issue:

Concerning Ps CS6 seizing Dominance:

I did try UNinstalling and then re-installing Ps CC 14.00 but Ps CS6 still retained "Dominance" (meaning that it was impossible to change System Permissions to recognise that all PSDs should always be opened from the Finder in Ps CC).

Finally I uninstalled Ps CS6 from this HD and now CC has established "Dominance".

Bridge CS6 was NOT removed from my HD when I uninstalled Ps CS6. (You need to keep Bridge CS6 until Adobe replaces the the AOM Panel in Bridge CC.)

Also, choosing the Default File Associations in Bridge CC, now correctly sets all Photoshop-related Associations to Ps CC instead of Ps CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 12:40 PM   in reply to CameraAnn

You should not have to uninstall CS6 to fix file association problems, in fact that can cause file association problems.  For some users a registry fix is needed.

You may have been working in CS6.  Remember, if you stop subscribing to CC you have nothing.  Make sure you keep installation disks of CS6 with s/n.

A better option is to deactivate CS6. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jun 30, 2013 1:28 PM   in reply to CameraAnn

Finally I uninstalled Ps CS6 from this HD and now CC has established "Dominance".

Ann,

Come to think of it, the difference between your set up and mine about upgrading was that I had already the Creative Cloud subscription version of CS6 installed, hence my upgrade to CC went smoothly??

Then that would mean that somehow perpetual CS6 and Creative Cloud CS6 are getting a different treatment using the ACC for upgrading the Cloud versions??

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 2:13 PM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

There seems to be a problem in the way in which Creative Cloud handles Systems which are using multiple licences.

It would be so quick and easy to re-install Ps CS6 should I ever have a need for it that it just makes more sense to simply eliminate it at this time.

My other apps. from the CS6 Suite seem to be able to co-exist successfully with their CC counterparts but most of them will probably be heading to the trash in the next few days anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2013 2:43 PM   in reply to Onur Orhon

I also had a similar problem, which also required a Registry Modification to fix. Once again, Backup the Registry (Export - All) before making changes.

My fix allows Adobe Bridge CC to open instead of Adobe Bridge CS5.

In my case, Bridge already was the default program to open JPG and TIFF, just as I have been doing since CS4. I upgraded to CS5 and it still worked. When I upgraded to Photoshop CC, Adobe Bridge CS5 was still opening. I could go to the system file associations, browse to the Adobe - 64 bit Bridge CC - Bridge.exe and select it - but it would still show as Bridge CS5 and would only open CS5.

So, I modified the registry as follows:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\Bridge.exe\shell\open\ command

- this key was pointing to Bridge CS5 exe.

- changed the (Default) to : "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Bridge CC (64 Bit)\Bridge.exe" "%1"

Now right click on any file in Windows Explorer and some other places, opens Adobe Bridge CC at this folder, as desired.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points