Skip navigation
Express1999
Currently Being Moderated

How do I import actionscript snippets into Flash CC?

Jun 24, 2013 12:36 PM

I have a folder of actionscript snippets that I pull from and I used to use the fly-out menu of the Actions pallet to import them but don't see where I can import a snippet now in Flash CC. I see where to import XML but no regular AS snippets.

Thanks!

Replies
  • kglad
    72,188 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Jun 24, 2013 10:19 PM   in reply to Express1999

click widow>code snippets>click the code snippets panel's options (gear) combobox>click import code snippets xml.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,188 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Jun 25, 2013 5:00 AM   in reply to Express1999

actionscript snippets are in xml format.  that's how you import and export code snippets.

older flash versions also had the shortcuts to import and export script option in the actions panel that did nothing more than open and save actionscript (.as) files.  that feature was close to worthless, because you can use just open (file>open, ctrl-o) whatever actionscript files you want to use, so it was dropped.

again, to do what you want just open (file>open, ctrl-o) whatever actionscript files you want to use.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,188 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Jun 25, 2013 5:45 AM   in reply to Express1999

So the easy way I'm used to doing it, no longer is available.

correct

And I have to open the AS to copy/paste it into the Actions?

yes.

I'm still not understanding why in the older versions, I could import a "script" with a .as ext and now I cannot.

because the actionscript editor is totally new and the import script option offers no benefit over opening your as file and copying and pasting.  at most, you used to save two steps;  you didn't have to copy and paste.

but i'm skeptical that you even saved those steps because, unless you had one actionscript action per file (which would have been a major work-flow stopper), you still had to delete the unneeded parts of your master actionscript file.

the way it should work is you have all your code snippets in one master file and you should copy and paste the needed snippets from your master snippets file to your actions panel.  and to do that you should open your master snippets file in another panel and copy from that other panel to your actions panel.  that would have been a better work-flow in older versions and is still available in flash cc.

My AS is not in xml format.

i understand.

I have a folder of AS that my group use/share and it was very simple and easy to import a script when needed. It worked and we used it a lot. Why remove an option like that?

you're probably one of the few people that ever used that option.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,188 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Jun 25, 2013 6:18 AM   in reply to Express1999

you're welcome.

as i think you know (but just to make sure), you could streamline your work-flow and save time (unless you use only one of the 33 scripts per project) by putting all 33 in one master as file, opening that master in an as panel and copying and paster the snippet when needed.

or, even better, which i think you mentioned, create proper xml formatted actionscript snippets and you can use them in the flash snippets panel.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points