Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge CC *much slower* than CS6 - anyone else?

Jun 24, 2013 1:33 PM

Tags: #slow #bridge_cc

We've been using bridge since CS5 as part of our workflow, and have upgraded computers along the way to support the demands of larger file sizes (we now use D800s with 36Mpix files) and software upgrades.

A typical workflow on a top-end Retina MacBook Pro or top-end iMac includes loading full screan previews in Bridge, culling, and opening to ACR and then Photoshop for post-production with a large amount of PS being batch operations. Going from CS5 to CS6 "felt" faster doing the same things we did in each. Upgrading from D700 cameras to D800 camera "felt" slower until we upgraded computers. Now going from CS6 to CC "feels" slower. Significantly. So much so I ran a test on the Retina MBP (latest OS, 2.6GHz quad processor, SSD, etc)

Open & Process Full Screen Previews for 100 NEF Files

CS6: 4 min 15 sec

CC: 5 min 22 sec

Run ACR Adjustments on 100 NEF files as Batch

CS6: 2 min 15 sec

CC: 2 min 51 sec

Run Batch on 100 NEF files with 174-Step Action

CS6: 6 min 13 sec

CC: 12 min 44 sec

To ensure it wasn't just the Retina MBP, I did a similar range of tests on the iMac (latest OS, 3.4GHz quad processor, SSD, etc), and the approximate ratio of slow-down in within the range of standard deviation.

Loading is confirmed to both "feel" slower as well as actually be slower. So, too, is running batches. A lot slower. We're downgrading back to CS6 for now since this is unacceptable. However, the questions remains - is anyone else seeing these slowdowns?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2013 5:29 PM   in reply to Douglas Weittenhiller

I have no data but it appears that every version of PS needs more horsepower and this is the case for Adobe Camera Raw as well.  Just more data to process.  And this is not all of Adobe's making as every camera that comes out the manufacturer develops a new camera raw that is "better" as it has more options.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points