Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Subclips inconsistent behavior; not always working correctly in Premiere Pro CC

Jun 24, 2013 1:33 PM

Tags: #pro #premiere #soft #errors #bugs #hard #clip #subclip #boundaries #cc #trimmed

I load a clip into the Source panel.  I set in and out points and then CTRL + U to create a subclip.  I have "Restrict Trim to subclip boundaries" turned off.  (Thank you Adobe, I've been waiting for "soft" subclips forEVER!)  The new subclip appears in my Project panel with the correct name and duration (as well as a white audio icon to indicate that it has not yet been used in my project).  Now, I drag that subclip into my sequence.  But the entire clip (a 5 minute interview), from which the subclip was derived, is loaded onto the timeline.

This has been working correctly for the last hour, and now it has stopped working.  It appears that for the moment, subclipping is dead to me. 

Help?!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2013 2:02 PM   in reply to cscooper2013

I just repro'd the same behavior on mac 10.8.4. I'll look into it. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 8:38 AM   in reply to cscooper2013

Actually the repro turned out to be usr error in my case. I dragged the sourc clip in to compare to the subclip, forgetting that it still shared the same in/out points at that point. I tired it on additional systems and was unable to repro your steps. I triesdi ti wiht just standard mov clip, nothing that had been merged or modified. If you would like to send me a test clip, I can try the steps again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 6:02 AM   in reply to cscooper2013

I can't get subclips to work on merged clips.

1. Brand new project

2. Import video AVCHD

3. Import mono WAV audio from lav mic

4. Create sequence and manually sync clip - (note that video is a subset of audio clip)

5. Merge clips

6. Open new (merged) clip in source

7. Make a subclip

8. Open subclip

The subclip is time shifted from where it was set, to a seemingly random offset.

FYI brand new iMac, i5, GTX 675MX, Premiere Pro CC, everything with latest updates.

PS Occasionally when I am trying to do this, it just completely crashes with this error:

[/sirreel64/releases/2013.02/shared/adobe/MediaCore/Backend/Make/Mac/. ./../Src/Clip/AudioClip.cpp-959]

At this rate, I'll be downgrading to CS6 tomorrow.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 12:20 PM   in reply to thepossibility

I succeeded in creating a subclip from a merged clip, and the subclip starts at the correct frame. Please provide more specifics about how you merged--what did you use as the sync point? If you didn't use the In Point as the sync point, then what's the offset between the start of the video and the audio, and does that correspond directly to the offset in the subclip?

I too hit a crash while testing this, but at a different place (InsertEdit4PointInfo.cpp-74). I've taken note of both crashes and will write them up.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 11:40 PM   in reply to Mark Mapes

Thanks for that, Mark.

I've done a little more testing, and the problem seems to be related to merged clips where (for me) the audio is longer than the video.

Here's a screenshot of some testing I did:

'Screen Shot.png

Let me talk you through the project browser:

- At the top there are the source video and audio

- I then made bins for a trimmed sequence version and an untrimmed sequence (what I mean by trimmed is that the audio was chopped down to the same duration as the video, after syncing)

- I did the syncing on both manually. For the untrimmed clip, the audio leads the video by 1:29:04.

- I then made merges of both

- I then made subclips of both

Remarks:

1) The trimmed versions seem to work fine, though I haven't done serious testing. At least the media start and end make sense.

2) The untrimmed merge "Merge (untrimmed)" is showing a Media Start of 23:57:04:10, which is just wrong. First of all this is a 'negative' time number (C++ signed/unsigned int math coding error?), secondly, it doesn't seem to match anything because it is an offset of -2:55:14, when the video offset is +1:29:04.

3) When I open "Untrimmed.Subclip001" (as shown in the Source window) it shows a start time of "23:57:04:10" (the very beginning of the "Merge (untrimmed)" clip) instead of "23:58:33:14" which is where I'd set the in point for the subclip (and is shown in the Media Start column). What plays back is, indeed, the very beginning of the untrimmed clip. This is also the case with "Untrimmed.Subclip002" which had an In point set at 6:00:00.

4) The Subclip Start times shown are totally broken. I really have no idea where it is getting those numbers from. On the other hand, the End times seem to be ok (if you again ignore the fact that I have an end time of "23+ hours" on a clip that is 1 hour long.

5) The Audio In and Out Points shown don't make any sense to me. They're all just a little bit off the other numbers that are shown.

Lastly, the source video is AVCHD 1080p24 from a Panasonic GH2 and the audio is 48kHz 24-bit mono from a Zoom H4n

I hope this helps with your diagnosis.

Looking forward to your feedback.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 2:27 PM   in reply to thepossibility

Thanks, that's great info. I'll investigate next week upon returning from the company shutdown.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 5:57 PM   in reply to thepossibility

the source video is AVCHD 1080p24 from a Panasonic GH2 and the audio is 48kHz 24-bit mono from a Zoom H4n

I actually completed a project using that exact media recently, so I opened it up and made a subclip from the Merged clip and sure enough, dragging that to the sequence brought the entire clip, not just the subclip.

So I did it again, this time checking the "Restrict" box, and guess what...the shorter subclip came over.  And I was able to drag beyond the initially set bounds, so even with that box checked, it is still a 'soft' subclip in the sequence.

Either I don't understand that checkbox, or it ain't working right.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 7:55 PM   in reply to thepossibility

I reproed exactly as reported, including the elements that Jim added. Bug report has been logged.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 3:47 PM   in reply to cscooper2013

When he sets a "hard" subclip, it works, just as it did in CS6.

Actually, no.  When I set a hard subclip by checking the Restrict box, it actually creates a properly functioning soft subclip, which hasn't existed in Premiere Pro since 1.5.  (It got 'broken' in CS2, when they were changed to hard subclips only.)

I can't imaging why anyone would want a hard subclip, so I'm happy to just check that box and start using subclips again. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 10:35 PM   in reply to cscooper2013

To be clear, this bug is limited to subclips created from merged clips--specifically merged clips where the audio starts before the video. As far as I'm aware--and I worked extensively on subclips last cycle--soft subclips from other sources are functioning as expected.

@cscooper: you're right that there are similarities between this bug and the multicam bug in that both involve PPRO getting confused about reference points in the content. But I doubt they're actually related. For one thing, the multicam bug is fixed in the updated released today, whereas the subclip-from-mergedclip bug is not.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2013 8:05 AM   in reply to Mark Mapes

I am also expierenceing this problem with subclips.  When can we expect a fix?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2013 12:00 PM   in reply to patshen@mac.com

I've not heard mention of it for the October release, so...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2013 5:11 PM   in reply to cscooper2013

This is still a problem in 7.1. Unfortunately, the subclips I created (from merged clips) maintained the proper in/out points initially. I specifically tested them because I've had this problem before. I say “unfortunately” because I went ahead and used subclips to break down a long series of interviews, since subclips seemed to be holding. Now I've discovered that none of the subclips have retained any of the edit points I set. The entire clip plays (or most of it anyway, with seemingly random variations). It should be noted that some of the tracks did contain audio that started before the picture.

That's a day I would like to have back.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2013 11:22 PM   in reply to Mark Mapes

I'm having the same issue with my merged clips. Subclips are not being made, i'm essentially just creating multiples of the original merged clip.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2013 8:46 AM   in reply to cscooper2013

I am also struggling with this problem. Now I am prerendering the clips. Are there any news when it is going to be fixed or over workarounds?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2013 7:59 AM   in reply to Timur_C

I caught a rumor of a December update, but no data on what will be included.  (Or even if it's for PP.  It may be an AE update only.)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2013 1:44 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

The issue detailed so nicely in Post #7 is fixed in the CC7.2 update. Thanks again to thepossibility for the great report.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2013 8:22 PM   in reply to Mark Mapes

Sweet - no worries Mark.

Always a pleasure to help when you know you'll be listened to!

Merry Christmas!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2014 9:35 AM   in reply to Mark Mapes

Im having the same bug with the 7.2.1 version.

The video is working but I cannot listen to the audio in my merged clips, the audio in the timeline is color gray, like if is not detecting it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points