Skip navigation
Beelzy-the-bub
Currently Being Moderated

Flash CC not compatible with Flash 6 (buggy swfs)?

Jun 24, 2013 2:28 PM

Tags: #bug #flash_professional #cs6 #swf_freeze #swf_error #flash_cs6

I recently started a new animation job and the entire studio is using Flash 6. I wanted to get some extra work done at home, so I bought Flash CC under the assumption that I could use the files again at work. I completed a scene over the weekend, no issues, brought it in to the studio this morning and the file refuses to export a swf. As soon as I attempt to test the scene, Flash freezes for a good ten minutes, and the .swf eventually comes up lacking all tweens and some keys, with symbols missing colours and parts, and once the .swf is closed, the .fla now has all of the same issues (tweens gone, symbols messed up). Before exporting the .swf, the file looks just as it should. All tweens are there, all symbols look fine, the thing scrubs perfectly. The act of exporting the .swf seems to be what causes the issue.

Studio tech guy suggested it might have something to do with CC's publish settings, but I'm looking at them now and they're the same (with the exception of Actionscript 3).

I further tested the scene in my old CS 5.5 Flash and it worked flawlessly in that. Only 6 seems to be having issues.

Any thoughts?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 25, 2013 1:27 AM   in reply to Beelzy-the-bub

Flash 6 is too old to understand current FLA file format. Did you mean Flash CS6?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 3:21 AM   in reply to Beelzy-the-bub

Are you using AS2?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 7:33 AM   in reply to Vinod Menon@Adobe

Can you share a sample FLA. I will analyze it at my end and check what is going wrong.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 10:17 AM   in reply to Beelzy-the-bub

By the way, Flash CS6 is still available for download from Creative Cloud https://creative.adobe.com.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 6:31 PM   in reply to Beelzy-the-bub

Flash.CC does not support AS2

You will need CS6 or older to edit AS2 .fla files.

Really stupid IMO

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 10:06 PM   in reply to Beelzy-the-bub

Just to understand. You are opening a fla created in cs6 in flash cc. You are working on it in cc and then you trying to open it in cs6. Is this the issue. If so, we may have to check what are the specific features that you are using and check whether there are any compatibilty issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2014 6:38 AM   in reply to Beelzy-the-bub

I confirm this bug.

My workaround was:

Open the Flash CC file on Flash CS6.

Before anything, go to File >Save As and choose to save the .FLA in the Flash 5.5 format.

It will fail for the first time. Just try it again.

All animations start to work properly again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2014 8:52 PM   in reply to Cabana Criação

Can you check the blog: http://nipunasthana.wordpress.com/2013/12/10/flash-cc-cs6-compatibilit y/

Please confirm if running the JSFL on the original CC file solves the issue when re-opening in CS6.

-Sujai

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points