Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

"Error compiling movie. Unknown Error." OR program crash when rendering

Jun 24, 2013 2:18 PM

Tags: #error #premiere_pro #render #render_issue #unknown_error #render_crash #error_compiling_movie_unknown_error

When rendering in Premiere Pro CC I get the messge "Error compiling movie. Unknown Error." OR the program crashes.

-Adobe Premiere Pro CC V 7.0.0 (342)

-ASUS Z87-A, Intel Core i7 4 core, 16gb RAM

-450gb+ disc space

-Also installed: After Effects, Adobe Media Encoder

-All recent updates installed

-Windows7 64bit

-I am using all programs through Creative Cloud

-Footage is AVCHD 720p but doesn't work with .mts or .mp4 files

-I am trying to render speed and simple cross dissolves. Neither are working

-This has happened before on a friend's desktop. I was using his machine to edit on while I was in the process of building mine. He got the same error when I was trying to export. I restarted and the issue was fine. Restarting on my machine has not solved the issue. This leads me to think it is a bug in the program?

-I have been running After Effects and it has worked flawlessly.

Help!?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 28, 2013 11:37 PM   in reply to ERP12

When I'm troubleshooting this kind of issue, I do one of the following

• start with a simple sequence and add one variable at a time, rendering or exporting after each step
    • divide the sequence in two and render/export each half; if one half works and the other fails, then repeat with the half that failed.

Does your sequence contain any still images or frame sequences with dimensions greater than 1920x1080?

If you have GPU acceleration enabled, try switching to software-only. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2013 8:05 AM   in reply to ERP12

When I have had this happen in CS5.5, I am usually mixing video file formats on the timeline and one of the clips makes the system unhappy when I try to do an export.  What's weird is I might be able to export an h.264 file, but not an mpeg-2 DVD file.

So if you are working with, say, AVCHD files and you've added an .mov file from someone's consumer camcorder, try exporting just that section and see if you get the error.  If so, you might need to use a program like Handbrake to convert the problem file.

J. D.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2013 11:19 AM   in reply to ERP12

I would also take a look at this Adobe KB Article: http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/error-compiling-movie-rendering -or.html

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 10:39 PM   in reply to Mark Mapes

I really can't understand why this issue with pictures bigger then 1920*1080 has not been fixed yet. The program refuses to render or hangs with big jpegs since cs5. In my opinion a serious NLE should be able to handle these files..

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2013 11:27 AM   in reply to ERP12

I tried all of the options listed in: http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/error-compiling-movie-rendering -or.html, it did not work.

My problem/solution was more simple, and therefore more difficult to figure out. There was some problem with the IN and OUT points in my timeline and as soon as I set it to render the Entire Sequence, it rendered properly.

// MEDIA | samurai //

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2013 6:14 AM   in reply to Mark Mapes

I've done all the troubleshooting there is to do with this error. I might possibly have figured out the cause of these errors, which are killing my productivity. Here's the scenario;

16 or so minute timeline with 12 layers of video stacked up on it. The video zooms into the screen and zooms out (only way to explain the techcnique) but is there in the background. There is also a heavy use of Dynamic Linked AE compositions and some pictures). Sound is pretty simple. When I go to render with Mercury Playback Engine enabled, the timeline render or the export dies. It doesn't matter which one I attempt.

I thought this might be a computer issue, so I switched to a clean machine that's being put in service. Both machines though have nVidia Quadro cards (different ones). Both computers have 32GB of ram and are using SSD drives with plenty of headroom.

When I turn the MPE off by going to software only, it will render at about the same speed as my computer did in 1999 and that was with a special render card.

This is pretty intolerable and I'm believeing that since the timeline will render and the video will export with the MPE through the video card turned off, that it must be a problem with the MPE. The video cards are listed on the acceptable card web page.

Any hope at all of getting this problem fixed...and lots of people I know have this...in the (very) near term. It's a huge bug in the software ecosystem that Adobe is trying to create with CC and really needs to be addressed. "Unknown error" indeed. The system knows what happened if the thread dies.

One other note: This particular video is NTSC widescreen (because of client issues) and there are no HD clips mixed in. It's purely old standard definition video.

Thanks!

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2013 6:56 AM   in reply to stevehaskin@att.net

One other thing to try.  I have had projects with a sequence setting of 29.97 FPS (drop frame) and the addition of a file at 30 FPS (non-drop frame) will cause the "unknown error" on export.  Using the "modify" option on the clip to chane it to 29.97 FPS often fixes the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2013 8:10 AM   in reply to jdmack01

Been there. No joy.

This is a pretty serious bug in the Creative Cloud. I can't deliver my work and that's a bad thing. I can export it as an .avi without using the MPE, but that takes hours. The resulting file size is well over 2GB, so not practical to upload.

Thanks for the idea though.

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2013 6:16 PM   in reply to stevehaskin@att.net

Update: I've found a (very clumsy) work around for this problem.

1. Export the part of the timeline that's giving you trouble. Use the uncompressed avi settings and export both audio and video.

2. Open up a new AE composition in the size of the video you're going to send back to Premiere Pro. Save the composition. It doesn't matter if it's in a new project or an existing project. In my case, it was another composition (of 42) in the project for this video.

3. Dynamically link the composition to the Premiere Pro project.

4. Place it exactly where it needs to be on the timeline.

5. Render the files

6. Export

Overall, this takes less time than trying to export a 16 minute move in 'software only' mode of the Mercury Playback Engine.

Hope this helps anyone who has had these problems.

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 5:15 AM   in reply to ERP12

Cant get to the bottom of this. Seems to be a memory thing.

Forgive if this is already covered.

Error message comes up when renderer reaches graphic. In this big project, if I replace with a 50% sized graphic, we can render ok. I think(see below)

IF I open a new project and slap the LARGE version of the graphic on a timeline by itself it renders just fine.

There is an answer in this somewhere.

I have 27 gig of RAM allocated to premiere and checked activity monitor-plenty of free ram.

Hmmmm. The reason I dont like this sort of error is that I cant pre test any graphics that might cause issues as they seem to be just fine until the project grows. Now I have around 100 graphics clips in my hour long documentary. All graded. Many with motion applied.

OK. So I take motion off one clip. And it renders. Oh, so thats it...! I go back to the previous clip which I had REPLACED with a smaller 50% sized clip that had rendered just fine not five minutes previously. Remove all effects. Now it wont render.

Like the work around that Steve has given, but we are still working on the project and would like a rendered version to watch through before amending.

BTW this was happening on 7.0 and 7.1. Makes no difference.

I have now opened a brand new project. Imported the timeline(full of mislinked files BTW!) and the files causing the issue are good and render just fine.

So it isnt the file size. It isnt the FX. It isnt Motion. Corrupt project? Why just graphics clips? Must be memory issue. They are biggish files, but how big is too big? And why do they sometimes render and sometimes not?

More questions than answers, but hopefully I am getting closer to an answer, or will have helped one of you guys rule out some ideas. Might save you some time.

I have already spent hours upon hours on this, but I am not giving up. Yet.

Dave Armstrong

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 10:59 PM   in reply to stretchdavea

I have recorded o na format 1920x1088,I have had the same problem amd I think I found a way to solve this.

First, add a new sequence with the same format you are outputting, say choose a DV wide screen if you want to output a 16:9 DVD.or any standard preset profile listed.

Then drag the edited sequence onto this newly added sequence,a screen will pop out ask if you want to change the setting, choose yes.

Ctrl+M to export . This works for me , hope will solve your problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2013 2:43 AM   in reply to JerryTaiwan

Thanks for that-I will try it out. You mean to nest the sequence in th enew sequence?

Does it matter what output format you chose?

This is still not good that we have to find a work around!

Thanks again

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2014 2:43 PM   in reply to ERP12

Did you ever get a solution to this? I have almost EXACTLT the same problem!

Asus87-Pro motherboard, 16Gb of memory with a clean install of Win7 64 bit.

trying to render even a simple cross disolved causes the "unknown" error the first time, then a complete crash of Premiere CC the second time.  it is nothing to do with the movie clip, have used plenty - ones that worked before on a previous build machine (older, slower processor).

all that has changed for me is the upgrade to an i7 processor. and it is DRIVING ME MAD. and i can't get any work done, and am literally close to tears in frustration.

any help!?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2014 2:15 AM   in reply to geofftechUK

This is my work around :

open a new preset profile that matches your output format.

Select your working sequence, drag to this newly opened seq, then a pop out screen ask if you wan to change the setting, choose yes.

Now you should be good to output this timeline.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2014 2:21 AM   in reply to stretchdavea

Wow !

Sorry for late reply ! I just see this now and hope this will help the others ,too.

No matter what output format you're choosing, just make sure it's a Adobe Preset profile.

I believe this has something to do with the Cuda,especially you're outputting to a profile that's not match preset profile.

Let me know if you've solve the problem.

Jerry

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2014 2:28 AM   in reply to JerryTaiwan

Thanks for that. The latest error I had, I managed to export ONLY after rendering the sequence. HOWEVER, I changed the to the OPEN CL rather than the CUDA driver. I think this may be part of it.

Whatever the case, its not good enough!! The fact that we have cross platform errors as posted by geofftechUK is an indication that workarounds may be many! That makes it much harder to pinpoint what the hell is going on.! My colleage fount that removing all audio worked. She then had to bring the exported video back in and reexport.

Have a bug report in, but I think this will just keep on recurring. Down to Adobe I feel....

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2014 2:30 AM   in reply to stretchdavea

our replies crossed-interesting you feel its a cuda issue too. As I say, I changed to OPEN CL, but I think that is MAC? You dont want to render without an accelerator, or you could be rendering til Christmas!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2014 2:46 AM   in reply to stretchdavea

Nope, none of this works for me.  I have an OpenCL driver, but not CUDA but it makes no difference. Neither does having a preset sequence.

At 88% in to the render (whether on the original project timeline, or a new one from a preset -      with or without the OpenCL renderer being used) it hangs (first time), and then crashes (the second), on footage & projects that if I copy to my laptop it works fine on.   This is extremely ridculous.

Also, i don't want a 'workaround' i want it fixed.  There is a bug in Premiere.    

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2014 6:57 AM   in reply to geofftechUK

Sorry can't help further.

this is a question for Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2014 7:02 AM   in reply to JerryTaiwan

Try to delete the old peaking file generated .

It solve my problem once or two.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2014 9:27 AM   in reply to JerryTaiwan

Jerry, thx! appreciated... but i installed WIndows 7 on a brand new formatted hard disk.  i install Premiere CC, and start a new project, new sequence, import video.   Do a transition between two clips that causes a 'red line render', and when I render... Crashes! always at 90% into the tender.  so there isn't a 'previous' peaking file!    this is a very severe bug in Premiere...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2014 2:41 AM   in reply to ERP12

Hi,

I have been having this problem and still am having this problem. Here are some tips that do fix it.  I have found lots of issues... ways of fixxing it.  You just can't tell when it is going to happen but try all of these and maybe it will work for you.

1 - Save project.  Close Premiere.  Reboot your system.  Don't open anything else just premiere.  Select in point and out point and hit render.  Easy, yes but sometimes this works for me.

2 - Save project.  Close Premiere.  Go to the folder your edit project is saved in and delete the Adobe Preview Files folder.  Open Premiere, it will notice there are preview files missing.  "Skip All".  Then select entire project and hit render.

3 - If it is throwing up the error message at the exact same point go into your bins and check that there are no files that are not linked.  This is hard to explain but I had a bin that had some bitmaps and I deleted the bmps.  Then when I wa hitting render it kept doing it exact same space.  In my bin it was just showing as the files not being linked (which I hought wouldn't be a problem, but I had to actually delete everything form the bin that wasn't linked to actual footage.  That solved a major problem for me.  I had been trying for about 2 days to do that.

4 - Delete your LUTs if you are using them and ONLY put add them at the very final stage.  It is not good to do the edit with them on as it takes much longer to render.  I delete the LUTs and then hit render and it worked.

5 - Go to your garden, get a brick... smash that into the screen and go to bed!!!  It doesn't fix the problem but will maybe make you feel a bit better!

I am working on a 75 minute documentary for broadcast.  REALLY NOT COOL ADOBE!!!  NEEDS TO BE FIXED NOW!!!  this is not pro software.  I simply can't render the whole project off and I switched from Avid for this.  BAAADDDD!!!! Avid may have its problems but at least you can finish the project.  6 hours I spent tonight just trying to render a preview of 75 min project.  Crashes about 70%.

I also find... 75 minute project.  When I open the project it takes about 45 minutes to an hour to generate all the peak files etc etc.....  I litterally cannot do anything until all the files have loaded in.  I hav about 1000 files.  It takes ages.  I have to sit, wait, not touch anything.. for agaes and ages and ages...  That also needs to be fixed. 

Good luck guys...

and Adobe...

So many people posting this since Sept 2013 and we are not into March 2014.  NOT COOL!!!!!

Sorry I have been using CAPS... very angry

Peace and good luck!!!

PS... Maybe smaller projects (music videos etc) it works fine, I don't encounter this problem at all.

PPS.... Keep the timeline tidy.  Don't layer up unless you need to.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2014 3:02 AM   in reply to screenname_abc

Thanks for all of these tips.  I have been close to throwing in the towel with premiere so many times, however there are so many good things that are just great. HOWEVER, if you cant output your project, then you may as well have not bothered in the first place.

I agree that on smaller projects I dont seem to have as many issues, although on the last project I only had a 10 minute piece to output. It was graded and I had been using direct link.

We just dont have tiime to play bug sleuth. I enjoy problem solving at the best of times, but we all have stupid things like deadlines & clients that dont really care about our software woes.

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2014 3:19 AM   in reply to stretchdavea

So, after another longer-than-an-hour phonecall with an Adobe Tech last night, we found two things:

1. My new Win7 build had a different audio device, and Premiere didn't like it.  Reinstalling the latest audio drivers got a sequence to render which previously wouldn't.   Tip for video : Check your audio!

2. It still didn't work in some cases, until.. we went to 'Sequence' and change the Edit Mode to be 'Custom' and then at the bottom, change the Preview File Format to Microsoft AVI (the default sequence has choseen IFrame only MPEG).    It doesn't seem to matter what coded you then selected  - they call worked.  WIth this, all my sequences then rendered!

The tech told me that this was the case for .M2T files (which i usally record and work with), but I later found that a project with footage shot on a Nikon D5100 with all .MOV files also wouldn't render, until I changed the sequence settings to Microsoft AVI... yes, for .MOV files!  So it's not .M2T specific.

Also, none of this explains why all these projects and sequences worked fine on my old Intel Core 2 machnes, but upgrading to an new motherboard with Intel i7 chip made this all break.

But there you go people.. on a Windows machine, try setting the the Preview File Format to 'Microsoft AVI' and see what it does for you...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2014 3:22 AM   in reply to stretchdavea

No probs, I completely sympathise with everyone who is posting here, such a shame.. a great edit package when it works.  If I had clients breathing down my neck I simply would have no excuse for them and no way of fixing it witthout trial and error that can take days.  There are too many variables.  Murcury Playback.  Preview Files.  Unlinked footage.  LUT's.  It's ridiculous.

I have not tried these but;

You could also select the whole project and copy it.  Make a new sequence and paste it into that and try rendering.

Better still..select the whole project, copy, open after effects, paste into AE.  Re-open Premiere, make an entirely new project > new sequence and paste that back into a new sequence (is that possible?).  if so it might work.

I have not tried these ideas and not sure if it's possible to paste from AE back into Premiere but it might work.

Thinking out aloud.

Good luck everyone.  If you find a definitive solution please post here.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2014 3:23 AM   in reply to geofftechUK

---"Tip for video : Check your audio!"----

haha... nice... I have been editing for 20 years and that's a first

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2014 3:27 AM   in reply to screenname_abc

I am on an old Core 2 duo I think, Win 7.. It's an old machine, 8GB Ram, Quadro 4000.  Mainly using .MOV from Canon 5D and/or .MTS (I forget the file name exactly) from Sony FS700.  It happens on both sorts of files for me.

I do all my project as custom and it still works.  I like the idea of changing the preview file format.  Not tried that.  Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2014 3:35 AM   in reply to screenname_abc

I too think that something changed back in Septembe with an update, 6 months on and it's still not fixed.  Adobe -> YOU NEED TO FIX TH

Good luck, _abc!  Let me know if the Preview File Format work.  it's been a minor miracle for me.. currently going through every projects i'm working on right now (about 8 paying projects, and everyone is chasing me because i'm now so behind!) and so far, so good

Also : buying a new modern soundcard!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2014 7:07 PM   in reply to geofftechUK

I just had this same issue and found an amazingly quick workaround. I moved one of the video tracks that I suspected of being the offender from V4 to V2 and the error message went away and it rendered just fine. Not sure why swapping this order of what was on the tracks worked but it did!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2014 1:56 PM   in reply to tvtruth

I'm having a similar issue as well, and this isn't the first time.  Usually when I get this error it goes hand in hand with a video clip that seems "corrupt" in premiere.  When you hit a certain frame of it the video freezes, audio stops, and you get a somewhat unresponsive computer until you move your curser to a spot on that clip BEFORE the "bad" frame.  I'm not even able to export this latest sequence that I'm having the issue with (rendered or not).  We've had issues like this before where we would check the clip elsewhere in a viewer and it would play through just fine.  Running out of ideas here.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2014 10:27 AM   in reply to JMC27

Hello,

I have the same problem with PP CS6  and right now with PP CC.

After "monitoring the rendering with free software GPU-Z 0.7.7, I discovered that the "Error while compiling movie - Unknown error" appeared when the "UTIL" settings was displayed (PËRFCAP REASON).

This crash might be caused by CUDA (it never appeared with "Soft render only").

The only way I use to resume the rendering is :

- save the project,

- close PP CS6  or PP CC,

- open Pp CC or PP CS6,

- load the project,

- resume the rendering.

Adobe support has no solution or ignore the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2014 4:27 PM   in reply to Jacout13

ADOBE - YOU NEED TO SORT THIS OUT!!!

CAN SOMEONE FROM ADOBE PLEASE RESPOND!!!

WHAT IS YOUR PLANNED FIX?

IS THERE A REFUND or COMPENSATION FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE PAID FOR CC FOR OVER A YEAR AND ARE BLIGHTED WITH THIS?

FIX IT ADOBE!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2014 7:18 PM   in reply to tvtruth

This (moving video to different layers) works for me sometimes.  However I now have a basic edit that has 7 video layers because it won't work on V1, so I move to V2, then the next clip only works on V3 for example, then the next clip on V1, then the next clip on V4 and so on.. up to layer 7 for what should be a very simple edit and export.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2014 7:32 PM   in reply to geofftechUK
    2. It still didn't work in some cases, until.. we went to 'Sequence' and change the Edit Mode to be 'Custom' and then at the bottom, change the Preview File Format to Microsoft AVI (the default sequence has choseen IFrame only MPEG).It doesn't seem to matter what coded you then selected  - they call worked.  WIth this, all my sequences then rendered!

OK...  Have tried this but it's not working.  It's on my final export.  I can preview the footage OK but when I hit export it crashes - error compiling movie.  Anymore ideas?  3.24am and have been trying to export since about 10pm.  My deadline is 9am.

Seriously Adobe..  I am switching back to Avid if this isn't sorted like yesterday!  How can you guys just ignore a thread like this that's been going on for months.  With all due respect I am a professional editor.  I have switched everything to Adobe. Sometimes it works fine then boom.. it just doesn't work and I can't find a work around.

It's a completely unfinished product that's not even in beta.  You are selling and making money out of a faulty product.  You have to fix this!!!

What do I say to my clients "Oh sorry, it's Adobe's fault?"  - You'll lose me my clients!!!  It's MIPTV at Cannes next week, tens of thousands of pounds have been invested into this event for my client.  I sold the Premiere workflow to my clients after 15 years on Avid.  If I let them down with no promo content the financial loss is unthinkable.

Can someone from Adobe please contact me!  You have my details!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2014 7:37 PM   in reply to screenname_abc

As people have said above - clips seem to get corrupted.  They play fine in the preview monitor.  Premiere hangs up on them.  It's completely unprdictable.  This has happened to me on DSLR footage.  .MTS footage.  ProRes footage.  24p.  25p.  Moving the clips to different video tracks sometimes fixes it but then it can go offline again.  Then when one clip is fixed it happens to another.. and another.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2014 7:39 PM   in reply to screenname_abc

This is just an idea and I hope it helps but I've never tried it.  First, I've had some success when I delete the renders of the sequence so that may help.  Maybe save the project as a new version, in a new place (in theory that would keep the renders on the original version correct?) - then try duplicating the seq and killing the renders - and if that doesn't work, I wonder if you killed the renders - used the dynamic link to send your video to after effects, then just saved the AE project, it may work as a mixdown for your video? Again, just guessing trying to help.  Hope it works.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2014 7:45 PM   in reply to JMC27

Thanks for your advice...  I've tried most of that.

Another way of fixing it is to recmpress the original file into a different format (which is hit or miss as other files seem to get corrupt) but that has worked on this edit.  I have three edits to export.  Finally got one out.  Dreading trying the other two.

Thanks again though.

I think Adobe need to stand up and be counted now.  Avid tech support would have had this solved months ago.  Adobe have just gone quiet.  I think it's a consumer product (Adobe) VS proproduct (Avid).  If Adobe want to be taken seriously they need to act seriously.  It's a shame as I don't like to hate on a product at all and have been a big believer in CC but this is simply not on.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2014 10:21 PM   in reply to screenname_abc

Hello,

This error is a shame for Adobe.

I never had this with Avid Studio which is not software for Pro (PP CC

is for Pro).

Two ways to continue render :

- 1) do not use Cuda but soft only : and you will never have this error

but the render might be 10 or 20 more time longer,

- 2) when this error appear :

- save the project,

- close Pp CC (or CS6),

- reopen PP CC (or CS6),

- reload the project,

- resume the render.

It works well for me but this is not a true solution.

I have noticed that this error occurs only with pictures never with videos.

This problem is well known by Adobe :

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/error-compiling-movie-rendering -or.html

but not the "unknown error".

You can also complete a" bug report" or a "wish form"

Another way : quit definitely Adobe and use FCPX (I have scheduled this

migration, right now I am trying FCPX), but I do not know if FCPX has or

not the same problem.

Please note that nobody in Adobe read the forum : they read only the

"wish forms" and "bug reports"

Le 04/04/2014 04:45, screenname_abc a écrit :

>

Re: "Error compiling movie. Unknown Error." OR program crash

when rendering

created by screenname_abc