Skip navigation
TradewindCreative
Currently Being Moderated

Plugin/Action to separate multiple objects on single layer into multiple layers

Jun 24, 2013 7:50 PM

Tags: #action #plugin #separate #layer #multiple #objects #single

I couldn't think of a more simple way to describe what I'm looking for.

Imagine a layer containing 10 squares, each square is isolated (none are touching). I need a quick way to put each of those squares on its own layer. Is there something already built in, or can someone suggest a plugin or action? Thanks in advance!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2013 10:07 PM   in reply to TradewindCreative

A two step operation.

Crop and Straighten Photos will isolate your "10 squares" into individual files.

These can then be assembled manually into a multiple layer file.

Close the original document.

Window > Arrange > Tile.

Using the Move tool drag the image from one document to another. Repeat with the remaining images. Close all but the layered file. Done.

Note: The second step could be automated with File > Scripts > Load Files into Stack... if you were prepared to save the individual files first.

loadStack.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 10:45 PM   in reply to TradewindCreative

I forgot to mention Crop and Straighten is under the File > Automate:

cropAndStraighten.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,925 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jun 24, 2013 10:54 PM   in reply to TradewindCreative

DAR,  Am I missing something?  select the files in Bridge and

Tools > Photoshop > Load into Photoshop layers

Is the trick here to automatically create a matix so that none of the 'squares' in the original layer overlap?  Way beyond my capabilities. :-(

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,925 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jun 24, 2013 10:57 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Wow.  I have never used Crop & straighten, and it just worked some magic when I tried it.  I made a VERY random patern of square shapes on the same layer, and used C&S, and it took two seconds to turn them into individual image files.  I am seriously impressed!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 11:13 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Yes, youre missing the fact that the OP stated the images are on one layer and are not touching.

"Imagine a layer containing 10 squares, each square is isolated (none are touching). I need a quick way to put each of those squares on its own layer. "

The trick is to get them off that layer into separate layers.

The feature was designed to separate scans of multiple images way back when we had to use flatbed scanners to digitize prints.

Depending on the content of the layer one could also simply select the white space between the objects, inverse the selection, Command J.

Then using the lasso tool make a loose selection around 1 object, Shift + Cmnd + J. Return to the layer and repeat with each object.

However, there may be issues with the forst selection or there may be a benefit to having each object as a separate file for later use.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,925 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jun 24, 2013 11:29 PM   in reply to David Rogers

It was your comment about using a script to automate loading the seperated individual images into a layer stack I was referring to.   Of course, they would need saving to disk before using Bridge > Tools > Photoshop > Load into Photoshop layers.

Were you thinking of a script for stacking the open files into one image without saving?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 11:45 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

I wasnt thinking of a script at all. Merely pointing out the limitations of the current script.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 12:07 AM   in reply to TradewindCreative

Its definitely about the abstract shapes and the fact that if you were to draw a grid they are actually overlapping. Hence the selections containing partial characters.

Question: Do you need transparency around the characters or would a rough cut out on a separate layer work?

If they are on a semi transparent layer does that mean the white space in the image is on a layer below? IE. The white space visible here is actually transparent?

This may be the simplest option:

Depending on the content of the layer one could also simply select the white space between the objects, inverse the selection, Command J.

Then using the lasso tool make a loose selection around 1 object, Shift + Cmnd + J. Return to the layer and repeat with each object.

If the white space is indeed transparent then thats your answer. If transparency is not key, then that is still your answer. It should take less than five minutes.

However, if full transparency of the characters is key and edge selection was importantant then I may just be looking for the exact font and use the characters as selection tools.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 12:33 AM   in reply to TradewindCreative

Sorry, I am late to the thread and did not read all the posts but have you checked out the Split to Layer Script over at

http://photoshopscripts.wordpress.com/

?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points