Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

3F files in Photoshop and Lightroom

Jun 24, 2013 7:32 PM

Does any one have an advice on how to use 3F files created with flexcolor software in photoshop CS6.  I have installed the Imacon 3F plug-in but can can only open the 3F files when I remove the camera RAW plug-in.  Is there any way you can have both installed for it work.  Also can anyone tell me if it's possible to import 3F files into Lightroom 5.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2013 11:45 PM   in reply to Aussiescape

Hi,

What platform are you using? With the Imacon plug-in correctly installed, you should be able to choose the Imacon 3F format from the format option pull down menu when opening the files with Ps. You can save out a flattened copy as a TIFF for working with it in Lr.

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 11:24 PM   in reply to Aussiescape

Hello,

you can refer to this blogpost about opening FFF files on Photoshop bypassing the Camera Raw alert.

Basically, instead of dragging and dropping in PS, you have to File - Open, select the File, and within the Open dialog (bottom row, "Format" dropdown menu), pick the "Imacon 3f" filetype.

This way you instruct Photoshop to treat the file as a proper .fff (which is nothing but a tiff with proprietary extra tags).

Anyway, refer to the above mentioned post for any additional info or just ask here!

Kind regards

Davide Barranca

www.davidebarranca.com

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 1:14 AM   in reply to Aussiescape

Hello,

actually I used to remove the ACR plugin, then (later on) I've discovered that even if the ACR plugin is in place, the Format trick in the Open As dialog works.

Voila_Capture43.png

Davide

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 11:52 PM   in reply to Aussiescape

Hello Robert,

not as far as I know... ACR is getting quite sticky!

Another thing you could check is the version of the 3F import plugin - Hasselblad doesn't update them frequently, but you can try downloading it again from their website.

And as a general precaution, you might reset the Photoshop preferences, just in case (press the Command + Option + Shift keys while clicking in the PS icon in the dock to start the application, and confirm the next dialog asking to trash the preferences)

Davide

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 11:59 PM   in reply to Aussiescape

Hi Robert,

At least for Mac, and likely for Win too, you need to have the Imacon 3F plug-in version 1.4, as opposed to the 1.3 version that's available on the link Davide provided.

I tried both versions on OSX 10.7.5, and noticed both the behavior change, as well as, 1.4 works with CS6 because it's been compiled for x64.

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 12:05 AM   in reply to SG...

SG... wrote:

You can save out a flattened copy as a TIFF for working with it in Lr.

Please disregard this comment. I was not clear on the metadata headers and special info stored there, needing to stay with the file. Flattening and saving as a TIFF would remove those and the file would not round trip correctly with the FlexColor software.

There 'may' be a Lr solution for handliing these file. I'll ask the Lr team if they have more info to provide.

thx,

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 12:56 AM   in reply to SG...

Steve,

my blogpost doesn't directly hosts the plugin (Hasselblad doesn't allow free download, you must be registered). I've linked in my blog an Hasselblad partner website who is licensed to host and offer it to download.

I've signaled the version issue to the website owner (who is btw a friend of mine and well known 3F expert).

Davide

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 1:02 AM   in reply to Davide_Barranca

Hi Davide,

Sorry, I mixed up your blog post with Roberto's. Thanks for letting him know that the current versions there would benefit his readers by updating.

cheers!

steve

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points