Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Indesign CC Hangs During Printing...

Jun 24, 2013 7:52 PM

I have large files that I print out for a client regularly and they are generally between 500-2000 12"x18" pages in InDesign. With CS6 I had to print 30 pages at a time then relaunch the ID before sending another 30. If I tried to send more or didn't close out the program I would get garbled data on the printer. With ID CC I am now able to send around 100 pages at a time and I never get garbled data. The only problem is that if I send much more than 100 it just hangs with the print box on the screen. I even left it overnight and it hadn't moved past 132 pages in the most recent case. I was only running with 6GB of RAM in the machine, which I upgraded this afternoon, but I would think that virtual memory would be used if it was needed more memory. I haven't tried printing it since I upgraded to 48GB of RAM. Any thoughts on this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2013 7:58 PM   in reply to Keith Wing

My only thought would be to export a PDF, and if it makes it completely through the export, print from Acrobat.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 11:34 PM   in reply to Keith Wing

Try to reset the preferences of indesign cc

Steps for MAC / Windows : (So here you need to delete the Version 8.0 folder)

take the help of this link:

http://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-l ocations.html

Or

Try to export the indesign (.idml) file to .Pdf and then try to print and see.

Anup sahu

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 7:10 AM   in reply to Anup Prasad sahu

It's very unlikely that replacing the prefs will make any difference. This really seems to be a print spooling problem more than anything else. I completely agree with Mike about exporting to PDF first to print, even if it's necessary to do that in chunks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 7:18 AM   in reply to Keith Wing

I very much doubt RAM has anything to play in it - when I was doing a 3,200 page book I only had 2gb RAM and everything worked fine.

I suggest looking up the latest driver for your Printer and updating that. Even see if they have a "postscript driver" that you can install.

Also when Printing make sure you go to Graphics and on the Images>Send Data> set that to "Optimised Subsampling" and on the fonts make sure you select "Subset" and tick "download ppd fonts".

If your printer is an older version you may need to switch from Postscript 3 to Postscript 2 - you should try changing these and the above settings to see if there's any difference.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 1:14 AM   in reply to Keith Wing

Nesting PDFs inside the .indd and exporting a new PDF is perfectly acceptable and a standard technique.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points