Skip navigation
Maliyan_Journey
Currently Being Moderated

June 2013 - New Laptop for PElements

Jun 24, 2013 8:45 PM

Tags: #hardware #laptop

It is June 2013. Looking for suggestions for a new laptop to run Adobe Premiere Elements.Any suggestions? In the order of $1000 AUD is about as much as I'd want to spend (less of course is always welcome).

Presuming need good NVIDIA card as priority. Guy in local retail otulet suggested:

ASUS S550CM-CJ021H TOUCH

This is within the budget and is a good 'gaming' ultrabook apparently (ie graphics, processing, RAM). Open to any useful  suggestions.

Ta

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 25, 2013 5:29 AM   in reply to Maliyan_Journey

Good gaming computers do not necessarily make good editing computers. But, considering your specs, this computer should give you plenty of power for editing video.

http://dicksmith.com.au/product/XC8625/

Though the key variable is, of course, what kind of video you're editing. What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what resolution and format is it?

The biggest challenge is that this is a laptop, which tend to be built for portability rather than power. In fact, laptops often run much slower than desktops that use virtually the same hardware! But this system  should still give you plenty of power for editing virtually any consumer video format.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 25, 2013 9:27 AM   in reply to Maliyan_Journey

Welcome to the forum.

I feel that the most important aspects for editing video on a laptop are:

1. Multiple, separate physical HDD's, or SSD's. Two physical discs will spread the I/O load, and three would be even better, but it can be a tough search to find laptops with multiple drives.
    2. Video card - well, not the card/chip so much as driver support. nVidia is great, as is AMD/ATI. So long as one has at least 1GB VRAM, the card/chip is less important, but the driver support is crucial. That is why I do not recommend the Intel video chips for a video-editing rig.
    3. Installed RAM. With a 64-bit OS, having a minimum of 8GB RAM is important. I think that filling the MoBo's slots with RAM, whether 12, 16, 24 or 32GB, will be better. Note: depending on the RAM used by the MoBo, the max. RAM will differ a bit, say with a max of 24GB for some, and a max of 32GB for others. It just depends.
    4. For AVCHD, or any H.264, I recommend an i7 Intel processor, but many users get by with a fast i5. I would not go below a fast i5.

I also like a 17" screen, but then my eyes are old and tired, and many get by nicely on a 15" screen.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I just got this laptop, and it's a screamer, but not within the stated budget: http://www.adkvideoediting.com/systems/viewsystem.cfm?recordid=118

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points