Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Some weird para styling I can't figure out or break...

Jun 25, 2013 12:00 AM

Tags: #indesign #lockup #line_spacing

I got  document from someone and it comes with many para and char styles loaded. Weird thing is when I highlight some text and use shortcuts to increase the line spacing (I set it to 0.5pt increments in prefs) the linespacing doesn't change until about three increases at which point it jumps up to double or triple line spcing. Then it doesn't increase any more after that when increasing the linespacing number in the tool bar or using keyboard shortcuts.

I have measured using some plain text I typed in another frame in same font as going from 12pt to 24pt (so yes exactly double!). I thought maybe this is because of some combination of frame/column settings/balancing combination so I cut some text out and put it into a new frame in a new doc. Same issue. So I unlinked the Para Style, no change (as you'd expect).

Got me stumped...  here is a link to a simple document with a sample of the text that is effected so. I've unlinked it from styles but they still exist in document.

The fonts in the text are Century School book (or New Century schoolbook is same/simmillar and when I opened my Century in Suitcase InDesign didn't accept it I had to replace Century with Century) and Calibri (yuk!).

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 25, 2013 12:42 AM   in reply to wideEyedPupil

I cannot look into your document because I am not working on a computer where it would be allowed at the moment.

BUt I suppose your paragraph style is aligned to the base line grid.

BTW Your method to changing text sounds not very professionell. You should ONLY use paragraph and character styles. Don't manipulate text without styles. Such a document will get wired and will cause a lot of problems to others which have to work with this document later.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 6:00 AM   in reply to wideEyedPupil

Your link is broken in any case.

+1 to Willi's sentiment about using styles properly. You can remove the current overrides by ALT/OPT clicking on a highlighted paragraph style in the P style panel. You can also create a new style you wish to retain by being in a paragraph with styling and clicking to create a new style. Rename it to something sensible and use it for like paragrapghs after removing the local formatting.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 6:27 AM   in reply to MW Design

I make the initial increments using the keyboard shortcuts then when I'm happy with it I would usually update the paragraph/character style to that piece of text.

However, this isn't about best practices when working on a file.

What seems to be happening here is that it's aligned to the grid.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WS3EE260F6-825E-4ee5-B33 D-9A14C7F7534Ba.html#WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-6dcba

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 7:32 AM   in reply to wideEyedPupil

I can't open your Indd file as it's from a newer version. When supplying files for help you should give both an INDD and also File>Save As >IDML (Or file>export>idml)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 7:59 AM   in reply to wideEyedPupil

wideEyedPupil wrote:

I didn't really understand the meaing of your comment you should ONLY use paragraph and character styles.  Are you suggesting the an entire document never deviate from preassigned leading or font sizes set in the styles.

In the perfect world you'd create a new style for every variation, but most of us let things slip a bit in the real world, especially if the override is only going to be used for one paragraph (it can make some find/change operations easier, for example, if you don't have multiple styles assigned to what is esentially all one class of text, but there are always tradeoffs).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 8:03 AM   in reply to wideEyedPupil

wideEyedPupil wrote:

Sorry Eugene, thoughless of me. I was wondering why adding a line of text and two pointer lines doubled the file size from 600K to 1.2M before. Now I'm wondering how they get it down to 63K for the IDML file!

Image previews... they don't get saved in .idml.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points