Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CC won't save my files

Jun 25, 2013 2:10 AM

Tags: #indesign

Hi

I've been working in InDesign for a week now and since yesterday I started noticing that at times InDesign won't undo and I am not able to save my file. I keep hitting command + s while working but it just doesn't save or give an error message. If I go on the File menu all the save and save as commands are grayed out. If you close the file and click on the save button InDesign just gives a message that the file cannot be saved. I have to close the file without saving and redo all the work. Because InDesign doesn't give an error when pressing command + s I would do a lot of work under the impression everything gets saved but it doesn't and I keep losing a lot of work.

Also CC runs very slow. There are times when the program just "freezes" for awhile while InDesign does somethings in the background and only after it is done you can start working again. The pages panel takes ages to load the previews onto the pages and while it is doing so I cannot do anything at all.

Starting to think I should have stayed with CS6.

Replies 1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 25, 2013 2:15 AM   in reply to Jacodbruin

Please supply us with some important information:

• Version of InDesign? CC? Language Version?
    • Version of OS
    • How do you save? Local or on a network place?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 2:36 AM   in reply to Jacodbruin

Are you using any other device with InDesign like Wacom Tablet? Or is there any wacom driver installed on your machine?

Can you provide a little more information on this like:

1) What you generally do when you see that Save/SaveAs gets disabled? Working with Master pages or applyig any styles?

2) When save/save as gets grayed out, Are you able to save it to IDML/Export to PDF?

3) Does all the menu items gets grayed out or is it just with Save/Save As?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 7:18 AM   in reply to Jacodbruin

This sounds very much like a permissions issue of some sort (particularly the part about the recovery data not being saved). Where is the recovery data supposed to be (you can set it in the prefs, and you may want to try moving it from the default location in your user library)?

In theory there should not be a problem working with legacy files, but I recommend that all legacy files be exported to either .idml or .inx (depending on the version) and opeing that in the new version for converting. There seems to be less liklihood of trouble down the road with that proceedure.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 2:58 AM   in reply to Jacodbruin

Have you tried trashing the prefs on one of these machines? see Replace Your Preferences

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 3:15 AM   in reply to Jacodbruin

I have been trying to reproduce this for quite some time now but could not reproduce it. If the file(.jpg) is not confidential, could you please share that, or remove the confidetial content if any and then share it so that I along with engineering team would try reproducing this problem. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2013 1:55 PM   in reply to Jacodbruin

I am experiencing this exact same issue. Working off of files on my local hard drive.

OS X Version 10.8.4
    InDesign CC Version 9.0 (Up to date)

InDesign randomly starts behaving oddly. Won't undo/redo, won't save. I definitely have file permission.

Tried logging out of creative cloud and logging back in. Didn't fix. I installed InDesign CC about 3-4 days ago and it has worked perfectly until now.

The problem seems to start when I resize a text box after copy/pasting from another InDesign file.

Hopefully someone comes up with a fix for this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 10:15 PM   in reply to Jacodbruin

Please send the files @ sharewithID@adobe.com, though it seems that problem is not specific to any file but still I can try it out and see. Meanwhile, If you experince the problem with international version, please update. If you get any clue, when generally it start happening, please update. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 3:51 AM   in reply to Jacodbruin

I had the same problems... this link helped http://indesignsecrets.com/why-is-some-feature-grayed-out-in-indesign. php

Basically - if the file has come from an older version of indesign and said converted in title these features were greyed out. Once I saved it the features were re-enabled. Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 4:48 AM   in reply to Alli_Smith

Thanks Alli for providing the link.

But actually. the problem is that Save/SaveAs gets disabled and then it is not posible to save the files. Did you encounter the file save issue or was there other things that greyed out?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 4:55 AM   in reply to Jacodbruin

Hello Jacodbruin,

Have you encountered the issue again with international version. Could you please provide the files( mail to : sharewithID@adobe.com) with which you encountered it earlier? Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 5:03 AM   in reply to BDinkar

Sorry... I thought I'd solved it for you... I should really read things better.

It was the undo and redo that were greyed out for me.

I noticed this week as we had a new mac in the office that there were upgrades with bug fixes available for all the CC programmes ... as I don't remember to check in with the Cloud I hadn't realised. Just wondered if you'd seen them.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 9:48 AM   in reply to Jacodbruin

I've been having this probelm too. It started about a week after I got my Bamboo Capture tablet, and I was thinking that might've been the cause, but If you don't have any Wacom software and you're having this problem then maybe not.

I haven't found a solution, but I do know how you can stop losing work over it. When the problem occurs and you need to save, export the job to an .idml file. Then you can quit InDesign and when you restart and open the .idml file, all your work will be intact. Then you can save it natively in InDesign.

Still annoying, but it works.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 10:01 AM   in reply to ElWarboGrande

Yeah, I ended up duplicating my file and renaming it and the problem hasn't persisted in any other files yet.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 11:43 PM   in reply to ElWarboGrande

You have mentioned that the save problem started happening with the Bamboo capture tablet. Couple of questions :

1) Did it happen when you installed the driver or when you started using the tablet on Indesign?

2) Could you please provide the driver version?

3) is the problem happening consistently?

4) And lastly, if you can check whether the problem gets reolved with the uninstallation of the driver?

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2013 8:55 AM   in reply to BDinkar

This has been happening to me on a regular basis:

All the menu items greyed out as shown in Jacodbruin's screen grabs above. Plus the Direct Selection tool (the white cursor) not displaying.

I have now narrowed it down to a reproduceable bug between Bridge CC and InDesign CC when dragging an image across from Bridge CC to an InD CC picture box. Upon doing so (often on the second dragged image into InD), the save problem kicks in.

My interim fix has been to export the file as an IDML, something still possible when all other save options are greyed out. Now of course my current fix is to not use Bridge CC.

I'm calling Adobe support today to inform them of my findings. So far Adobe chat support was unable to provide any help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2013 9:06 AM   in reply to Brutalism

I have been experiencing this issue also.

I have no graphics tablet installed (Nor have I ever on this machine), but I find it happens most often when I'm draging and dropping files from Bridge over to InDesign. I save to my local hard drive and all the images I drag are from the same drive.

This seems like such a critical issue with inDesign as being unable to save your files, or undo your changes is a huge flaw in the basics of a program.

I hope Adobe sort this out soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 9:05 AM   in reply to GlennFlanaganDutton

Here is a video of it happening too. This MUST be a critical issue for the InDesign Dev team.

http://screencast.com/t/0YAtcIVR5en

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 5:57 AM   in reply to Brutalism

Hello Brutalism,

I am trying the steps that you have mentioned but still issue is not reproducible at my end. Is this happening with some paricular format files like jpeg, pngs..or with any file? Can you provide the file if it is always reproducble with some particular files? Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 1:19 PM   in reply to BDinkar

The easiest way to reproduce this issue, is to use an Adobe InDesign CS6 file, and try to open it in Adobe CC. When you do, after a few adjustments and changes, you will no longer be able to save the file. This requires you to export to IDML, and rebuild the file. But even that doesn't fix it. You have to do the same thing every time you want to save the file.

This issue has been reproduced it every single time I try to open up a Converted CS6 file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 1:58 PM   in reply to peterson.brandon

Have you tried exporting the CS6 file to .imdl first and then opening that in CC?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 2:17 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

No, because I no longer have access to CS6, since the update.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 2:19 PM   in reply to peterson.brandon

You can have both but you would have to uninstall CC first and then reload CS6 and CC in order.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 2:20 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

Not necessarily true.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 2:22 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Regardless, that's a silly work around. This should be fixed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 3:42 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

So have they fixed the problem of overwriting the shared files with the earlier version if you install out of order?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 5:07 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

I think it's at least been fixed between InDesign CC and InDesign CS6 because the Adobe Creative Cloud lets you install CS6 AFTER you've installed InDesign CC.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 5:24 PM   in reply to Steve Werner

Thanks Steve, good to know.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 8:55 PM   in reply to peterson.brandon

Hello Peterson,

Could you share any CS6( if possible) file with which you are seeing the problem? You can mail the file @sharewithID@adobe.com. Also, Where are you saving the file? local drive or @network location? Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 7:26 AM   in reply to BDinkar

If anyone encounters the issue again, please provide us with the following information :

1. What happens to other documents( in case multiple documents are open) when the save/saveas/save a copy gets disabled? Can those be saved? Or save is disabled across all the documents?

2. Now when this situation occurs(Save/save as gets disabled) on your system, Run the javascript(provided below), and see what error is returned by javascript and provide us that error.

What is required to run the java script( in case you are not aware) :

- Paste the java script at the following location : Users/labuser/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 9.0/en_US/Scripts( create a text document and add the script in it and save it as test.js)

- Open the script panel ( Windows>Utilities->Scripts)

- You will find test.js in the User folder

- From the flyout, select ‘run  script’

You should get some errors in this case. Save the screenshot and kindly provide us with the same.

Here is the java script :

var myFolder = new Folder("~/Desktop/Test");

if (!myFolder.exist) myFolder.create();

app.activeDocument.save(myFolder.fsName + "\\" + "test.indd");

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 7:45 AM   in reply to BDinkar

Note that the script appears to be Mac-centric, which looks like it's OK since I don't see anyone reporting Windows as the OS here...

>> - Paste the java script at the following location : Users/labuser/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 9.0/en_US/Scripts

I'm neither a Mac user nor a scripter, but that seems to imply that everyone is is using an account named labuser and that they are using the en_US version. I think you should be using

Users/<your user name>/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 9.0/<language of your installation>/Scripts

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 7:49 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

You are right Peter. Thanks for the correction. I should have modified before pasting.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 8:01 AM   in reply to BDinkar

No problem. It's probably the only thing I have to contribute to this particular thread.

I'd hate to see someone have trouble installing or running the script though, and not know why.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 3:01 PM   in reply to Jacodbruin

Hum, lost four projects so far.  …no need to mention that i am not pleased, is there?

Found this thread and tried to reproduce the error. And got Lucky! On my OS 10.8.4 machine i did the following:

Opened a new document -> pasted some Text from an different iD CC File and drag and dropped two tiffs from the desktop. The second image then managed to grey out the save / save as from the menu.

The js mentioned above did the following:

Bildschirmfoto 2013-07-17 um 23.34.25.png

I did manage to save previous projects as imdl but could not reopen them.

By the way, did someone else see the strange textbox resize behavior that happens at the same time things go crazy? The Textbox seams to resize but it takes a while for the text to reflow in a jumpy way.

Any help appreciated!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2013 7:04 AM   in reply to BienzBliemer

@all – the above JavaScript (ExtendScript) in post #34 cannot work as expected on Mac OSX.
    At best you will save a file named "Test\test.indd" on the desktop…

Instead I would recommend a slightly altered version:

app.activeDocument.save(myFolder.fsName + "/" +Date.now()+"_test.indd");

See the "/" instead of "\\".

I changed it, so every time you execute it (and if it will not throw an error!), you'll get a new file with an unique file name.

("Date.now()" should be sufficient enough to generate a new sequence of a 13 digit number every time you try).

Or maybe even better: save a copy of your file:

app.activeDocument.saveACopy(myFolder.fsName + "/" +Date.now()+"_test.indd");

All testing on Mac OS X 10.6.8.

@BienzBliemer – I think, the above script(s) will not work in your scenario, because InDesign has not finished something that goes on in the background. A hidden modal dialog that is not answered should not be the problem, because you can start up a script …

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (3)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points