Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can wave warp effect in PE9 play more than once?

Jun 25, 2013 8:14 AM

Tags: #premiere_elements_9 #text_effect #wave_warp

I am using PE9 and I want to apply the wave warp text effect when the text rolling from right to the left. The problem is the wave effect stopped before the text gets to the destination. So I wonder if there's any way to extend the waving effect as I want?

These are my settings:

Untitled-1.jpg

Many thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 25, 2013 9:01 AM   in reply to RGB2CMYK2

Why not add keyframes to the Wave Warp effect and vary its properties between keyframes so that it's constantly in motion?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 3:25 PM   in reply to RGB2CMYK2

RGB2CMYK2

I am not completely clear on what you are asking. Could you clarify?

1. What is the duration of the file over which you want to place this Title with the Wave Warp Effect - which is destined for a right to left movement with a presumed start off screen (right), end off screen (left)?

2. What is the present duration of the Title with the Wave Warp Effect?

From what I am understanding, it sounds like the title is not long enough to cover the file below it.

I find the alternative read that the Wave Warp stops waving and presents as un waved Wave Warp more unlikely.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 8:18 PM   in reply to RGB2CMYK2

RGB2CMYK2

I have something that I know should work. Let us see if it matches my expectations and yours.

1. Given a 30 second clip at the beginning of Video 1.

Click on the T icon (Add Default Text) at the bottom right of the Monitor in order to open the Titler. A title file will be automatically placed on Video 2 at the position of the Timeline Indicator which, in this case, is at the start of the Timeline.

By default the duration of the title file will be 5 seconds. With the mouse cursor, drag out the title file so that it extends the same length as the clip on Video 1. Both Video 1 and 2 content should have the duration of 30 seconds.

2. If the Titler is not opened, double click the title file on Video 2 to open it in the Titler. Create your still text so that it extends from the left edge of the frame to the right edge of the frame.  I placed the text just above the bottom rectangle of the Safe Margins. Click Done to close the Titler. (I never did ask just how much text use need to get into those 30 seconds.)

3. Select the title file on Video 2 and open its Property Palette/Motion Panel expanded and its Position property. At the Position level are two adjustable readouts, the first is for the from right to left or left to right position (we will call that Y) and the other for up and down position (we will call that X). X remains fixed. In this test it read 240.0.

a. Right click the Monitor and select Select followed by Title's name to make sure that you will be moving the correct file. Move the title file to the right until its last letter goes off screen right. Record that number from the Y. In my case the value was 1078.5. Then move the title file to the left until its last letter goes off screen left. Record that number from Y. In my case the value was -353.8.

b. No doubt in determining these Position readings X got messed up and is not reading 240.0 any more. So, type in 240.0 for X so that our text will be at the up/down level that we decided on.

c. Now that we know those numbers, we are going to keyframe the Position property for the title file. Given our fixed up/down position X's 240,0.

title file is highlighted, its Properties Palette/Motion Panel expanded opened, Timeline Indicator at beginning of Timeline.

Click on the Toggle Animation Button located at the far right of the panel that reads Motion. The button looks like a stopwatch.

Type in so that Y = 1078.5

take the Timeline Indicator to the end of the Timeline content.

Type in so that Y = -353.8

Render the Timeline by pressing the Enter Key of the computer main keyboard.

Then apply the Warp Wave Effect (Edit Header/Effects/Video Effects/Distort/Warp Wave). Render the Timeline contents.

I tried various maneuvers to avoid distortion in the Wave Warp motion in the matching up of Video 1 and 2 durations and the only key that I have found so far is to equalize the durations beforehand.

I will think about this some more. I suspect a lot might depend on the nature of your text message crawling from right to left on the screen. But for 30 seconds I am thinking that it cannot be all that long. In my case, I just repeated the word Plants in the crawl.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 11:01 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

If I read RGB2CMYK2's post correctly, the desire is not to complete the Crawl from off-screen right to off-screen left, but to have it come in from off-screen right to end up centered, in a 25 sec. time span, where it will be held in that Position for the additional 5 sec. of the Duration. Similar, but with the continuation of the Crawl to off-screen left.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 11:32 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt

The title with the wave warp effect moves from right to the middle and stop there at the 25th sec and then stay there for another 5 secs. What happened is it stopped waving after 5 seconds but the curvy text became still and moves from right to left for another 20 secs.

The part there about "moves from right to the middle and stop there at the 25th sec" are not consistent for this 30 sec piece since I did not see "stop there at the 25th sec" as "middle". So I took "middle" to represent movement of the title away from the right as it went left.

Consequently, I am not getting the same read that you are. So, we will await clarification and comments from RGB2CMYK2.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 11:41 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Hm-m,

Maybe we are reading this line differently:

The title with the wave warp effect moves from right to the middle and stop there at the 25th sec and then stay there for another 5 secs.

If the Duration of the Title is 30 sec. to match that of the underlying Video Clip, and then the Position changes from off-screen right to "the middle and stop there at the 25th sec.," then "stay[s] there for another 5 sec.," the full 30 sec. Duration will have been used, no?

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 1:01 PM   in reply to RGB2CMYK2

RGB2CMYK2

Thanks for the video.

Please confirm what I think that your video and you are trying to tell us.

25 seconds title

30 second video

You want the text to wave in from the right to the center of the scene and stop. Is that correct?

if so

what is the duration of the pause?

At the pause, do you want the text to look waved or unwaved?

After a pause waved or unwaved do you want the waved or non waved text to continue off screen?

Thanks.

Back to the drawing board.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 1:15 PM   in reply to RGB2CMYK2

RGB2CMYK2,

Thank you. That is what I thought that you wanted.

The one aspect that I had NOT picked up on was the Wave Warp stopping, but about 03 sec. farther along, than it now stops.

Appreciated,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 4:25 PM   in reply to RGB2CMYK2

RGB2CMYK2,

I have not had an opportunity to explore your Title, but hope to within a few hours, and will report what I find.

Your desire seems quite simple, but I might find out that it is not as easy, as I think that it will be.

One possibility might be to Cut the Title on the Timeline, basically separating the Wave Warp, and Crawl portion, from that part, where the Title is stationary, without the Wave Warp. If necessary, one could add a Cross-Dissolve between those two "pieces."

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 4:49 PM   in reply to RGB2CMYK2

RGB2CMYK2

I have just spent few hours working through what I thought that you seek. Please check the YouTube video that I just uploaded from Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 to see if I have met your specifications. The Wave Warp text exists for 6 seconds of the 30 seconds footage. My latest interpretation is that you did not want the text to exit after it un Wave Warp'ed. I can get you the version where it does exit.

Please check it out and then let me know how close or far away I am from what you want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWbhdJ5V3vE

If that looks like what you want I will post the details.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 5:30 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

That is what I interpreted the need to be.

I wonder if when the Wave Warp ends, Cut and a Cross-Dissolve to the static, centered Title would get rid of the abrupt end?

Also, I am not sure if the Effect>Wave Warp can be Keyframed, near the end of the Crawl, to "ease into" the static Type? I will explore that later tonight.

Just thinking,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 6:32 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt

So far I have found that any transition introduction in my workflow took away rather than enhanced the effect.

As for the ending, I did not look into its fine point since I wanted to make sure that I had grasped the concept of what was needed. Then again going from that one segment will depend on the creative plan of the user in what is to come in the presentation. Here I am talking the end end (@30 seconds).

From what RGB2CMYK2 has written, it would appear that most is under control except for the timing on the Wave Warp'ed and Non Wave Warp'ed Section.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 6:37 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

RGB2CMYK2

Please check out the same Timeline as in post #14 YouTube video to see if you can see any difference between the video displayed in this post and the one in post #14.

http://www.youtube.com/edit?ns=1&video_id=4Zlzt5-3HgY

Details to follow.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 7:35 PM   in reply to RGB2CMYK2

RGB2CMYK2

The following are the details of what I have just done on those two lastest YouTube videos representing how I have interpreted your further explanation of the task that you seek.

Given 30 second video on Video 1 and goal of title with Wave Warp text for 6 seconds and still version of the title for the remaining 24 seconds.

Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1/Windows 7 64 bit

NTSC DV Standard Project

Create your title in the Titler "The Versatile Nomad Welding Table" so that it extends from the left side of the  to the left side of the frame.

Stretch the title on the Timeline so that its duration matches that of the video on Video 1 (that is, 30 seconds).

Highlight the title file and go to its Properties Palette/Motion Panel expanded and Position property with its Y and Y values (as I indicated in a prior post) the X value (up and down) will remain fixed while we vary the Y value (left to right or right to left).

We need to determine ahead of time...Position readings

a. Y when the last of the text just exits at the right edge (in my case = 1080)

b. Y when the text goes from right to left and its beginning just touches the left edge. (in my case = 358).

Next move the Timeline Indicator until the time indicator reads 00;00;06;00. Make sure the title file is highlighted and use the Split Clip Tool to cut the title file at that point.

Next for the keyframing of the Position properties for the 6 seconds segment.

After initiating the keyframing in the Motion Panel expanded, enter 1080 for Y. Assure that X is still 240

Hit Page Down and hit the back arrow once to get to the end of the 6 seconds segment. Now enter 358 for Y. Assure that X is still 240.

Render the Timeline content.

With title file highlighted apply the Wave Warp to the title file via Edit Header/Effects/Video Effects/Distort/Wave Warp.

Render the Timeline content.

Highlight the still title portion (24 seconds) of the Timeline content and make sure the the Y value = 358 and X = 240.

At this point, everything looks fine to me in going from Wave Warp to non Wave Warp text. I think that a video transition does not enhance. But what you could try is an Ease Out for the second keyframe of the 6 second segment. To do that,

Highlight title file

Properties Palette

Motion Panel Expanded

Click on Show Keyframes icon at the top right of the Properties Palette to get a 2 section view of the Motion Panel expanded area.

Look to the Position property line. You should see 2 keyframes there (right side). The first keyframe is easy to see while the other is tucked away at the right edge of the line. Right click what you can see of this second keyframe, select Tempral Interpolation, and then Ease Out. I do not think it makes a big difference, but see what you think.

I have repeated this procedure several times to road test it. And I have proof read the above several times. But check out each step. Please let me know if you see anything that look like a typo or something that you need clarification on.

In my prior posts, please refer to the two YouTube sample videos produced with the above.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 8:49 AM   in reply to RGB2CMYK2

RGB2CMYK2

Thanks for the follow up.

Great news that you are moving forward with your project.

Interesting effect. Thanks for the opportunity to join in the help.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 11:09 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Sorry for the delay, but things got busy around here.

I did a test of the Wave Warp, that is here: https://vimeo.com/user17132571/review/69257757/697966120b

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 11:11 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

I added a 3 sec. Cross-Dissolve between the end of the Wave Warp and the static Title portion.

I left the end on the static Title, with no Dip-to-Black, as RGB2CMYK2 did not specify an ending Transition.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 11:44 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Here's a 01 sec. Cross-Dissolve between the Wave Warp Title and the static Title.

It has also been down-rezzed to Vimeo SD for faster downloading.

https://vimeo.com/user17132571/review/69263153/b2a86d23d2

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 12:14 PM   in reply to RGB2CMYK2

RGB2CMYK2,

Are you sure about those settings?

I tested with those, and the Wave Warp just distorted the Text, but did not produce a "wave" of motion.

Even when Rendered, that Text just Crawled across the screen, with not "motion" to it - just a distorted "wave."

Let me know, and I will try any settings that you direct.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 12:29 PM   in reply to RGB2CMYK2

Oops, my bad!

When I made those changes, I had toggled the Effect off. When I set the Keyframes for it, to the first Frame of that Title, I did get "wave motion," though obviously slow.

I will upload the output video, and post the link.

In the meantime, here is my Timeline and the Wave Warp settings and Keyframes:

Wave_Warp.png

Back in a minute.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 12:36 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 5:43 PM   in reply to RGB2CMYK2

I agree that the Wave Warp that I ended up with, looked quite different, than what you had shown. I am not sure why, as I matched your setting perfectly.

When I first used your settings, I had the CTI at the END of the Title, so those changes did not apply properly, hence my question. It was just OE on my part. [I am more used to the Keyframing of Effects in PrPro, so have to pay closer attention, when in PrE.]

I'll keep that test Project, and play around with it a bit, to see if I can get a "wave," similar to what you show.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points