Skip navigation
sspete
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CS6 bleeds disappearing when saved to PDF

Jun 25, 2013 10:30 AM

I've created pdfs from my InDesign CS6 files perfectly until recently. Documents with bleeds are now losing the entire bleed and appearing white when saved to pdf.

Test—Opened a new InDesign document and placed a solid block of color in various sizes, positions and coverage areas.

Result—When a 3-sided bleed covers half or a little more of the page it will print. The color block will not print if the bleed covers 3/4 up to and including the entire page.

I have read numerous discussions. Tried modifying slug and bleed in both the InDesign file and in exporting to PDF and nothing seems to work.

Using: InDesign CS6 (8.0.1), Acrobat X (10.1.7), OS (10.8.4)

Thank you to anyone who can shed some light,

Pete

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 25, 2013 10:39 AM   in reply to sspete

I think we need soome screen shots to show us the problem...

Embed them in your post using the camera icon on the web page:

CameraIcon.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 10:52 AM   in reply to sspete

OK, that's extremely odd, and it falls into the sort of oddness that could be corrupt prefs. Try this: Replace Your Preferences

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 11:10 AM   in reply to sspete

First, it doesn't look like your items to bleed actually extend off the page.

Are the items on the page on a layer set to not print?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 11:21 AM   in reply to sspete

What do you see in ID when you turn on Overprint Preview?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 3:00 PM   in reply to sspete

Have you tried this in a new user account? Have you tried booting your Mac into Safe Mode?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 5:59 PM   in reply to sspete

OK, trash the prefs agina inthe original account, then delete the stuff in John's list here: Adobe Forums: InDesign crashes at startup

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 11:29 PM   in reply to MW Design

MikeWenzloff wrote:

First, it doesn't look like your items to bleed actually extend off the page.

Are the items on the page on a layer set to not print?

I have to agree with Mike. I can see that the blue and yellow frames do not appear in the PDF, but is this really a bleed issue? If I wanted to illustrate a bleed problem, I'd place the frames so that they bleed, and look to see if they stop at the page area in the PDF. I can't see (in your PDF screenshot) what the size of the page is, although it looks a little out-of-proportion to the page size in the ID screenshot, so the PDF may be larger (which you would want when printing with bleeds), but there are no crops to indicate the page area either.

As to the frames not appearing in the PDF at all, can you answer Mike's question about whether the frames are set to be non-printing in Window>Attributes>Non Printing:

Screen shot 2013-06-27 at 1.22.10 AM.png

…or if the layer is set to non printing:

Screen shot 2013-06-27 at 1.21.47 AM.png

You can also switch between Normal mode and Preview mode by going to View>Screen Mode, or by tapping the W key. Non-printing items won't show in Preview mode.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)