Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash CC frequently crashing

Jun 25, 2013 2:24 PM

Tags: #flash #crash #crashing #cc

I'm working on the most basic project you could imagine and Flash CC crashes on me every 5-10 minutes. I can't pinpoint what is causing this as all I am doing so far is making keyframes, making labels, layers, folders, creating symbols, using basic drawing tools, ... BASIC stuff here. I'm just trying to set up my timeline and it keeps dying on me. I'm up to date on updates. My computer is a brand new iMac just a few weeks old, so there isn't much cluttering up my system at this point.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 25, 2013 10:23 PM   in reply to mcstampfunk

Is FlashCC a parallel install with older version of Flash Pro? Even if this is the case it should not crash. But still would like to know.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 6:50 AM   in reply to mcstampfunk

Can you please share the crash log? Since you are on MAC, you should be getting an error report. You can just copy and paste the same here.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 5:45 AM   in reply to dharmk

Hello dharmk and mcstampfunk,

I'm having the same problem with my Flash CS6 (part of the Master Collection). All I doing is going through basic tutorials that I purchased and adding / removing keyframes from the Motion Editor. It's really fraustrating to work like that as you can't foresee the crash coming and you have to save your work after every single modification.

I tried to read the log file but it doesn't seem to open correctly when I tried to open it with Notepad. Maybe it requires a specific tool in order to read it. Anyway I'm attaching a screenshot of the error. I believe that mcstampfunk is having the same error as it seems to me like the same problem. Hope that someone could find a way to fix this. I already reported Adobe for a bug, but couldn't see an option to add a screenshot or a log file to the bug report, although the error message requests it. That is why I replied to this thread.

I couldn't attach the crash log here also because there's no option to add files here but images or videos or a link to an external place. And I don't want to upload the file anywhere else but here because most of the places keep the file for a limited time. I encountered this thread also http://forums.adobe.com/message/4452252 where users encounter and ask the same thing about where do they have to upload the log file (I quote one user from that thread):

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------

6.Mike 237,

Jun 8, 2012 5:44 PM   in reply to sinious

If I go to https://bugbase.adobe.com/ and click 'Add bug', none of the dropdown options relate to the problem that I and asdqwxvb ds are experiencing!

The messaging that you get with the error is so unhelpful...

'Please report this exception by entering a bug with the log file'

How does that explain to me what I'm supposed to do!?

Could someone please give me an email address I can send this file to??

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, here's the screenshot of the FlashPro Fatal Exception error:

Any assistance will be appreciated!

Fl CS6 Crash.jpg

Thanks,

Gal Shemesh

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 9:25 AM   in reply to G.Shemesh

Hi Shemesh,

Please attach the generated mdmp file for analysis. mdmp file is created on your desktop when Flash crashes.

Regards,

Dilip

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 3:09 PM   in reply to Dilipr

Hi Dilip, thanks for the fast reply!

Can you please tell me how am I suppose to attach the mdmp file to this thread? The only things I see that can be added are pictures, videos or links. I would really like to add the logs though I really can't tell how. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Gal Shemesh

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 8:13 PM   in reply to G.Shemesh

Hi Shamesh,

If you have a CC account, then you can upload the minidump to the cc account and share the URL here. Otherwise, can you use dropbox or any such service for sharing the minidump?

Regards,

Dharmendra.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 10:16 AM   in reply to dharmk

Hi again guys,

I uploaded the log files to my Dropbox (thanks for the advice dharmk) . The files can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q8x62q56o6zk594/P41DgX63gL

There are 2 log files of the same problem while working with keyframes in the Motion Editor. The 1st is when I tried to add a keyframe and the 2nd is when I tried to delete one if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks!

Gal Shemesh

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 8:42 PM   in reply to G.Shemesh

Thanks for sharing the dumps Shemesh! It will help us debug the issue further. We'll post our updates soon after we analyse the dumps.

-Dharmendra.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 8:44 PM   in reply to mcstampfunk

Hi mcstampfunk,

On MAC the logs are stored at ~/Library/DiagnosticReports/. You can zip all the Flash CC logs and share with us.

Regards,

Dharmendra.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 12:40 AM   in reply to dharmk

With pleasure dharmk. Anything that would help to fix these bugs. I purchased some tutorials and I'm willing to study them without crashes at every corner. If there's anything else you need please let me know.

Thanks!

Gal Shemesh

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 7:39 AM   in reply to mcstampfunk

I am on Windows 7. I have had the worst experience with Flash ever (been using it since it was called FutureSplash).

In a single 2.5 day project (should have only been 1.5 days), I experienced the following:

• EVERY time I launch the application, it begins the launch process and then crashes without even showing an error message - it just stops launching.
    • The second time I launch it, and subsequent times thereafter, it launches fine.
    • Any time I try to launch Flash by double-clicking a .FLA file it crashes before launching without throwing an error message.
    • During development, it crashes repeatedly - approximately once per hour.
    • I finished the project last Friday and on Saturday morning went in to open the project file only to find it was corrupted and could not be opened.
    • I was able to rebuild the FLA by performing the following steps:
      • Duplicate the corrupted file.
      • Rename the FLA extention to .zip.
      • Open the newly named zip file in WinZip
      • Click the repair button.
      • Rename the newly created zip file to FLA and open it.
      • Viola - at least it is open now - but you will discover the corrupted images or asssets still show up as keyframes but not actually have an object on the stage - you'll have to manually go delete them and recreate them.
    • Exporting a sequence of still images crashed 3 times before succeeding - the process crashed due to insufficient memory yet I have 32GB of RAM in my pretty dang awesome Lenovo W500 and a 3GB Graphics card.

Lastly, the complexity of my FLA file was minimal. It was simple animations and masks - the final product was a video - hence my need to export to still frames.

My Adobe peeps - please help me get this resolved - I am happy to spend hours on the phone screen sharing and letting you control my computer to figure it out. Help me! Help me! Oh lawdy laaawwwd (name that reference for a free biscuit).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 8:06 AM   in reply to RockerDown Studios

Hi RockerDown Studios, We will reach out to you regarding this on email.

Thanks

Sujai

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2013 6:18 PM   in reply to SujaiS

I too am experiencing frequent crashes of Flash CC when I try to do the simplest thing. I am on a Mac.

I find no folder:

~/Library/DiagnosticReports/

Nor do I find any files labeled mdmp.

What can I do to resolve this problem? I can't get a thing done!

regards,

Andy

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2013 10:18 PM   in reply to andyrossdesign

Hi Andy, Will reach out to you on email for investigating this.

-Sujai

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2013 6:47 AM   in reply to SujaiS

I guess I'm not describing the problem correctly. What happens is the app freezes up, and the beach ball just rotates and rotates and rotates. This makes the application completely unresponsive to commands. Also, I cannot force quit the program when it is in this state. I have to completely restart my computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2013 9:02 AM   in reply to andyrossdesign

I am running 15 minutes late

Cheers,

Rusty Worden

919-749-1480

www.rockerdown.com

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2013 10:45 AM   in reply to mcstampfunk

Crash Report (crashes anytime I attempt to open a project and or create a new project):

Process:         Adobe Flash CC [1786]

Path:            /Applications/Adobe Flash CC/Adobe Flash CC.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Flash CC

Identifier:      com.adobe.Adobe Flash CC.application

Version:         13.0.0.759 (13.0.0.759)

Code Type:       X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process:  launchd [138]

Date/Time:       2013-07-23 12:37:39.858 -0500

OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.7.5 (11G63b)

Report Version:  9

Interval Since Last Report:          113363 sec

Crashes Since Last Report:           8

Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  91 sec

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   5

Anonymous UUID:                      8D151AA1-AF5E-4BA4-AA7B-827DAE98E23F

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGABRT)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000

VM Regions Near 0:

-->

__TEXT                 0000000100000000-0000000101798000 [ 23.6M] r-x/rwx SM=COW  /Applications/Adobe Flash CC/Adobe Flash CC.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Flash CC

Application Specific Information:

Performing @selector(dispatchMenuSelection:) from sender DVAMacMenuItem 0x1266b14a0

objc[1786]: garbage collection is OFF

abort() called

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2013 8:01 PM   in reply to studiobrain

This crash log looks similar to the issue reported by few others, which was happening because of the flash firebug plugin in firefox. Please check http://helpx.adobe.com/flash/kb/flash-pro-cc-crash-creating.html for more details. Can you check if uninstalling the plugin fixes the issue for you? If you are still facing the issue then can you please check if there is an mm.cfg file in your home directory. You can post the contents of the same here.

-Dharmendra.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2013 8:05 PM   in reply to andyrossdesign

HI Andy,

My mistake, the correct directory location is ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports. You should have some log files there with .crash extension. You can share the same with us.

Regards,

Dharmendra.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2013 9:11 AM   in reply to dharmk

This was the ticket, strange relation, but I dont even use the firefox plugin so, Im okay without it...

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2013 7:34 PM   in reply to studiobrain

Good to know that the problem is fixed after removing the plugin. We are also working on fixing the real issue behind it.

-Dharmendra.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2013 11:37 AM   in reply to mcstampfunk

I'm having the same problem: Frequent crashes when performing basic tasks.  I've been using Flash CC for two days now, and I've probably had about a dozen crashes.  Very frustrating.

I have Flash CS6 installed as well, and I would like to keep it that way for the time being if that's not the problem.  I don't have Firebug installed in Firefox.  I also don't have any crash logs — my ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports contains only a few .hang files for other (CS6) programs from earlier this month.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2013 12:46 PM   in reply to mcstampfunk

Hey, I had this same problem when I initially bought Flash CC also, but I kept on using it and now it only crashes once every three weeks. One thing I noticed was that when I would press enter it randomly crash at times. For now, just save every time before you hit enter. Hopefully your version will work like mine and the problem will just go away by itself!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2013 2:56 PM   in reply to sapp5

I just started using Flash CC yesterday and it freezes up frequently. Usually after just switching to it after doing something else. LIke just now, after typing my first sentence, I clicked flash and it locked up.

However I have found if I hit ctrl-alt-delete and Start Task Manager, Flash CC starts working again. Then I just quit the task manager. The first few times I clicked end process, but I don't seem to need to do that. It's almost 900,000k in Memory which seems like a lot.

/on windows 7 64-bit SP1

Timm

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 12:13 AM   in reply to Timmato93

Hi Timmato, Since you are on Win 7 can you check if this the hotfix fixes te problem

Link: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5540118#5540118

-Sujai

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 3:04 PM   in reply to SujaiS

SujaiS,

Thank you for your reply. I think overall that has helped. Yesterday I could reproduce the freezes quite easily. After I first installed the patch it was still reproducable. So I rebooted and it is much better. I have however had two freezes where the whole Flash window goes grey except for the top right close box. I then repeat the ctrl-alt-delete and open the Task manager, and close it. I can then click the 'X' in the top right of the window, it asks if I want to save before closing, I click "no" and Flash is working again. I can't reproduce it easily though. If I notice a pattern I will post a reply.

Thanks,

Timm

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 1:15 PM   in reply to Timmato93

Never mind, I'm going back to CS6. I'm not happy with CC.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2013 9:11 AM   in reply to mcstampfunk

Flash CC crashes on me as well between 10-20 times per day, always doing basic stuff in the timeline. Extremly annoying.
    Mac OsX

Crash Reports.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nn985tt473kwmra/Crash%20Reports.zip

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2013 11:17 AM   in reply to mcstampfunk

Adobe, why don't you just call Flash Pro CC something closer to what it really is: Flash Elements CC - and then let us people who actually use your tools for real-life work know when you are bringing out something that is actually an improvement on Flash Pro CS6. I have lost so much time and work on Flash "Pro" CC that I had to go back to CS6, I was astounded that it was released with so many features removed! I haven't been using Flash for a while to develop anything serious, when an app crashes just moving objects around on the screen, I can't imagine how anyone can use this as their main production environment anymore.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2013 12:44 PM   in reply to gindala

Hi all,

Can you check out the FAQ section for a solution to Flash Pro crashes?

http://forums.adobe.com/community/flash/flash_general/faq_list

Thanks,

Preran

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2013 2:33 AM   in reply to Preran

The Faq doesnt really relate to any of the crashes we see here - mostly related to interactions on the stage.

Anyhow here are the correct crash reports, the previous link was corrupt.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nn985tt473kwmra/Crash%20Reports.zip

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2013 5:31 PM   in reply to ManuelJulianDahm

For what it's worth I spend at least 12 hours a day using both Flash CC and Flash CS6 both Mac and PC and they seldom crash if ever. When they do it usually ends up being tied to some errant symbol or element in the Library. I know that doesn't answer or solve your question but not all of us have this problem so perhaps, and I'm just suggesting this it might have something to do with an incompatiblity of your video card, ram, hard drive or some other issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2013 6:47 PM   in reply to Asymetrical

This is astonishingly unhelpful place. Answers seem to fall into two distinct categories:

1) "Hi! I'm a fellow user. I don't have that problem. You're on your own!"

or

2) "Hi! I work for Adobe. Please read this encyclopedia that mentions nothing about your problem in it."

Neither type of response is the least bit helpful, or informative, or even germaine to the trouble I'm having. 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2013 6:53 PM   in reply to juniorspecial

No it's not "you're on your own" but sometimes, there is no magical answer that wisks you into productivity and so I was merely saying that the problem might not be Flash in this particular case that's all. And actually it IS helpful to know that others don't experience it becasue it whittles down the possibilities of problems. Don't get your panties all in a wad, man I was trying to help.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2013 9:21 PM   in reply to ManuelJulianDahm

Hi Julian,

Thanks for sharing the crash reports. This will give us some more insights on the probably cause of the crash. We'll analyze it and post an update soon.

Regards,

Dharmendra.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2013 4:36 AM   in reply to Asymetrical

This error only happens in CC, not in CS6 and it is not related to a certain symbol or .fla. It is though always related to interactions on the stage.

And I doubt it is a hardware issue as my macbook runs extremly stable in all applications and I work a lot with the whole Adobe Master Suite.
    This is a Flash Pro CC issue and downtalking it does neither solve it nor make any of its affected users feel any better.

I can not stress enough how wrong it feels to pay for a product that crashes so much and has me do double work over and over again.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2013 9:24 AM   in reply to ManuelJulianDahm

Hi Julian,

Your crash reports looks different than what we have generally seen so far. Unfortunately, this looks like a delayed crash and the crash logs alone do not tell us much about the actual reason for the crash. Do you have any simple repro scenario, and/or any sample fla which we can try at our end? Meanwhile, we will try to re-create the scenario at our end by looking at the crash dumps but its a very difficult task for this dump.

Also, If possible, can you also record your session and post the video link if the crash is not consistent? We can get some more hints regarding the crash steps from the same.

Regards,

Dharmendra.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points