Skip navigation
Photosoul
Currently Being Moderated

Wrong white balance in Bridge

Jun 25, 2013 1:29 PM

Tags: #bridge #incorrect #camera_raw #cs6 #white_balance

Since I reinstalled my computer I have a problem with displaying Canon CR2 files in Bridge - white balance in just incorrect. When I open it in Camera RAW, for about 1 second it displays still incorrectly, but then colours of the picture change and white balance is correct - I can even see that histogram changes slightly at the same moment. Than it opens in Photoshop correctly too. White balance is set to "as shot". I have PS CS6 and ACR 8.1 as part of Creative Suite 6 Design & Web Premium (all updates are installed). Anyone can solve the problem? I can say that I tried to install Creative Suite on 2 different computers and the problem is in both cases.

Replies
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jun 25, 2013 1:50 PM   in reply to Photosoul

Since I reinstalled my computer I have a problem with displaying Canon CR2 files in Bridge - white balance in just incorrect.

Can you be more specific, Is Bridge showing incorrect WB all the time?

WB for a Raw file is adjustable without problems. Usually Bridge displays the settings you have made in ACR or if they are newly imported it generates a preview according to the default settings of ACR, either the factory default or your own customized saved default settings.

If Bridge shows them incorrectly it is either a cache problem or it reads from earlier exported cache files to this folder.

First try one file and with right mouse click menu choose purge cache for selection. If this helps use menu tools / cache/ purge cache for folder

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 26, 2013 11:16 AM   in reply to Photosoul

Was the exclaimation mark an error flag?  What did it say?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 12:13 PM   in reply to Photosoul

Are you using a custom camera profile or display profile from a calibrator?

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jun 26, 2013 2:02 PM   in reply to Photosoul

4.       The only thing was, that after opening a picture in Camera Raw for about 1 second (until an exclamation mark in top right corner was visible) white balance is a bit different, but then it changes and is ok. And we can notice that histogram changes a little in this moment.

This is as designed, The yellow triangle in ACR top right preview shows a warning that the preview is being build, once build and ready the triangle with exclamation mark disappears to let you know everything is ready.

5.       Next I opened again a picture in Camera Raw and made a small change in exposition. After closing the picture the problem starts: white balance is a bit wrong in Bridge (except in full resolution where the preview is OK!).

Can you provide a screenshot to make more clear for us to see what you see.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 12:18 AM   in reply to Photosoul

What about the display profile?

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jun 27, 2013 1:20 PM   in reply to Photosoul

You can see changes in the histogram.

Forget about the screenshot showing the exclamation mark, it opens the image first in the ACR window using either camera settings or other stuff to show the content and then reads the settings you have applied to build the correct preview. It takes a bit of time to translate this to the image you want to see.

An other point is the Bridge preview, what you seeing in the grey backdrop is not so much color cast as well as artifacts of pixels not showing the correct color, usually before post processing or after to much contrast in post processing (banding etc). A grey area is known to extremely responding to this phenomenon.

Don't know how to explain this correctly to you.

It might be you have to purge cache for selection to test if it disappears (use right click mouse menu - purge cache for selection) and let it build a new cache.

Also might be related to not having synced the color settings in Bridge when having more Suite apps installed from CC.

Or might be due to your screen resolution in combination with preview size.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jun 28, 2013 1:12 PM   in reply to Photosoul

But when I open fool preview in Bridge (space, then left mouse click), after a short time when preview renders, the picture becomes fine. So I wonder what picture is displayed in Bridge non-full-screen preview?

Let's first focus on your preference settings. Try these settings:

In Bridge under Adobe Bridge CC open the Camera Raw preferences.

In the section 'Default Image Settings' make sure the the above 2 are NOT checked (Auto tone and auto grayscale)

It is useful to have checked defaults to specific serial number when you did generate a custom default in ACR and iso specific is only useful if you have saved all different iso settings as different ACR defaults.

Then go to same menu and open Bridge Preferences.

In the section Cache under options have only a checkmark in front of 'Keep 100% previews in Cache', don't use the option to export cache to folder.

Also increase the slider for cache size a bit, somewhere half way or left to halfway should be good enough.

Under Advanced / miscellaneous only have a check mark in front of generate monitor sized previews, leave the other 2 blank.

Then in the content window with the problem files be sure to have no hidden cache folders. Use menu view / show hidden files and search for document icons with BridgeCache and BridgeCacheT. If they are here delete both to the trash.

Then restart Bridge and try again

Also might be related to not having synced the color settings in Bridge when having more Suite apps installed from CC.

Any advice how can I check it?

When you have only PS installed Bridge uses the color settings you have saved in there, otherwise you should sync the Bridge color settings for correct colormanagement.

In PS go to the menu edit / Color settings

Check if your settings are what you want and either read the name already given or save these settings under a proper name.

Then in Bridge use the same route (edit/Color Settings and check if the saved settings file is active in the list (Bridge tells you in this menu if the settings are synced or not so that should be easy to check.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jun 29, 2013 6:40 AM   in reply to Photosoul

No change in displaying colours

I'm sorry to hear that. Don't have grey back drop in studio shot images myself, if you want you can send me the raw file of your screenshot including your settings and I will see if my set up provides the same result.

You can send it using We Transfer  https://www.wetransfer.com at my email address omke at planet dot nl

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points