Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is anyone experiencing extreme slowdown when using LR5?

Jun 25, 2013 1:54 PM

Tags: #lr5

After using LR since it was born I tried the LR5 Beta and was very impressed with the new features.  Having had great success with the Beta I downloaded the full LR5 update several days ago.  The new functions like Spot Removal, Grad Filter, Adj Brush, etc. are proving to be a problem.  For example, when I try to do a spot removal the cursor takes forever to activate and when it is on the screen it jumps all over the place.  Most commands for these new features appear to be delayed by 3-5 seconds.  After a number of restarts (LR5 & the computer) with no improvement I made sure all apps were closed, kept history to a minimum and did anything that I thought could solve the problem.  I had saved LR4.4 so I started that to edit the same photos that were not working with LR5. Worked peachy-keen.  I am suspecting that something happened between the Beta and the final LR5 realease. Nothing else had changed on my end. My LR5 is totally useless to me at this time and unless someone can tell me how to fix it I will be searching for a refund. Hopefully, whatever the problem is can be resolved in 5.1 or......

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 25, 2013 6:51 PM   in reply to wg&cc

Is anyone experiencing extreme slowdown when using LR5?

No (or should I say "rarely", and when it happens, I restart Lr and all is well - often accompanied by excessive ram usage when it occurs).

R

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 3:17 PM   in reply to wg&cc

Yes, unfortunately I have collected similarly bad experiences with LR 5.0 in terms of 'speed'.

I process pictures taken with Nikon D700, producing NEF files of roughly 15 MB in size. The slowness of the 'outdated' LR 4 is widely known, particularly in case of using its Spot Removal, Grad Filter, and Adjustment Brush functions. (My PC is not a slow machine with its 64-bit Intel Core i7-3770K processor, 16 GB RAM, and 240 GB SSD, running under Windows 7. Nor the 1920x1200 resolution of my monitor should give excuse for retarding my workflow by Lightroom.) Nevertheless, LR 4.4 slows down extremely only when the size of the XMP side-car file grows above 1-1.5 MB.

After reading so many speed-related complaints about the previous versions of LR I expected that the new upgrade version would be substantially faster. (In my view the somewhat extended functions themselves do not provide defensible reason for using the 5.0 stamp and collecting additional money from customers whithout also solving some long-existing problems, such as slowness.) Instead, 5.0 seems to be a serious step-back in this regard... It is much slower than 4.4 even without using the above-mentioned old/new functions. 5.0 becames absolutely snail-paced already when the size of the XMP files reaches only 100-200 KB...

I had now other choice than changing back to 4.4, which is 'ligthing-fast' - but only in comparison with 5.0. I simply do not understand what Adobe had in mind when launching this software...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 11:13 PM   in reply to wg&cc

Have either of you tried optimizing the catalog in Lr5? File > Optimize Catalog

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 7:55 AM   in reply to Pete.Green

Yes, and it did not help.

Although I use catalog optimization with LR 4 regularly, to tell you the truth I do not understand the need for this 'support' function. In my view any catalog should be established and kept in an optimal structure - I mean automatically, without any intervention by the user.

In addition, the application of such a manually activated function would make sense only when working with a large number of photos. But I have found LR 5.0 to be slow from retouching the very first picture, even if the catalog contains only a few dozen pictures.

My problem with a particular LR 4.4 catalogue and some associated questions are detailed here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1243134. The majority of these may or may not be valid for the catalogs of LR 5.0, too.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 3:11 PM   in reply to wg&cc

Hi WG,

I myself used this method with LR 4.3 and it did help. After experiencing the problem quite frequently I changed my mind and concentrated on regular checking and saving of the XMP files, and creating new catalogs with the 'updated' RAW+XMP stock. I must admit that this is an absolutely non-elegant workaround, but at least it protected my retouch work.

Nevertheless, as I explained above, my basic problem is that when starting to work only with a small number of images and applying only a small amount of adjustments, how can it be that LR 4.4 is substantially faster (pardon me, much less slow) than LR 5.0.

The Preferences directory related temporary solution is supposed to be necessary only after a considerable use of the catalog. Anyway, you may be faced with such a situation - so I wish you good luck. Nevertheless, be careful with it, because this method was explained quite long ago, and I do not know whether it will work with 5.0, too.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 5:26 PM   in reply to wg&cc

I just upgraded from LR4.4 to LR5 today and converted my catalog. LR5 ran like molassis. It even got stuck in a loop in the Library module when I was adding keywords ... and I had to kill it with Task Manager. I rebooted and restarted LR5 as the only running app, and still very, very slow. Super disappointed. LR4.4 ran the same catalog lightening fast, never an issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 4:29 PM   in reply to wg&cc

If you turn SoftProofing on (toggle with S, or it's under the View menu), does the lag disappear?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 6:10 PM   in reply to Pete.Green

Pete,

I recently upgraded to LR5 and the entire program is slow from open to whatever I try to do.  I get a (Not Responding) in the top of the toolbar and the screen turns completely white at times... Lightroom 4 ran just fine and I have exceeded all the system requirments (dual core processor, 16gb ram, 1 tb drive, etc).  I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times, reset all preferences, check Task Manager and hardware isnt working to near its capacity, performed Catalogue Optimization, Backed up LR several times, everything I can think of and the program keeps locking up.  When I uninstall back to LR4 it workes just fine.  I am running the trial version but this isnt giving me a reason to purchase.  When I run Lightroom it is the only program thats on.  I have also restarted the entire computer several times.  Please help

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 3:23 PM   in reply to GPP1974Photo

Any response??? Im still having the same above problem 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 11:48 PM   in reply to GPP1974Photo

I perfectly understand your confusion. As explained in two posts above, I collected similarly bad experiences with LR 5.0, although my hardware is pretty fast. In lack of any useful explanation/advice I had to fell back to 4.4.

As I mentioned earlier, I have speed problems with LR 4, too. At the time of raising that issue I had also been left without real solution. The offered workarounds did not help. Adobe's developers are aware that on 'certain' hardware LR runs slow but the reason is unkown. (They do not even spell out what is meant by 'certain'...)

In summary, unfortunately I belong to the same group of disappointed users, like yourself...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2013 7:39 AM   in reply to Hobbyshooter

I'm also having speed (or lack of it) issues with LR5.  I have 33K of images in the catalogue running on a MacPro 2x 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 20GB of RAM and NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB graphics - no slouch!

I've updated my entire library from 4.x and it would be too difficult to go back now - but LR5 is way too slow for a professional environment. I don't do weddings, but when I have a commercial job that needs to be completed 'yesterday', I can't afford the downtime and this slowness IS downtime.

If Adobe doesn't fix this soon, I'll be moving over to Aperture - and if I do that, I'll probably abandon Adobe all together.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 3:39 PM   in reply to Mike Guilbault

Same problem and I have only 300 images in my catalog.

I had two files in my catalog folder ... I don't remember the exact names of those files, but they were some kind of temporary files. I deleted them and now LR is working extremely slow.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 4:33 PM   in reply to Mike Guilbault

I transferred my catalog and image folders to a brand new HD with over 90% free space.  It helped for a few minutes it seemed... but then slowed right down to a snail's pace again once I got into two or three image processes.  Cloning and Brush tools specifically, although zooming, scrolling and just about everything else is too slow too.  Heck... I deleted an adjustment brush and the 'poof' took almost 15 seconds or more to actually POOF!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 4:42 PM   in reply to TurgayOrhan

In your catalog folder there should be a catalogname.lrcat file which is your LR catalog database.

There should also be two FOLDERS called catalogname Previews.lrdata and catalogname Smart Previews.lrdata.  If you delete the Previews.lrdata folder then LR may be rebuilding previews for each folder when you go into it which could slow things down.

If you have LR open, then there should be two other FILES called catalogname.lrcat.lock and catalogname.lrcat-journal.  The .lock file is so LR knows it’s open in case you try to open up that catalog with a second copy of the program while the first is already open.  The –journal file is where the database management system for LR stores things while you’re working in LR so if something goes wrong partial updates can be rolled back to keep incomplete results from polluting the database. 

Hopefully you did not try to and hopefully you wouldn’t be able to delete either of these files with LR open.   If LR was closed an you saw these two files then that means LR was ended prematurely, perhaps with Task Manger before it had a chance to remove these two files.  Depending on why those files were there, in other words why LR stopped prematurely, something may be slightly corrupted, now.  You might want to do a Backup and make sure the optimize and integrity check options are enabled.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2013 3:14 AM   in reply to ssprengel

No, I did not delete any necessary catalog file.

I deleted two temporary files which I have never seen before.

And after rebooting my computer, it started to work normally again.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 3:52 PM   in reply to wg&cc

As I posted earlier I have continued to have huge issues with LRv5 slowness, "app not responding", lots of lag between keystroke and results, etc.  Yesterday I upgdated to LR5.2 RC and WOW the problems are all gone.  Very responsive.  Imported 500 pics and it breezed through them like I had expected with v4. Used Develop Mode without any lag. Finally!

UPDATE - Now I have to edit this and say that the lag and goofy behavior is creeping back.  What are your experiences?

Message was edited by: Scott_In_MillCreek

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2013 8:05 AM   in reply to Scott_In_MillCreek

I'm cloning out several things (probably 3 dozen) and LR5 has become very jerky.  Can hardly position the cloning brush.  I've tried updating from 5.0 but I get the reply that LR5 is up to date.  Windows version on an Intel i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz with 6GB RAM and HHD with 89GB free memory.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2013 12:10 PM   in reply to wg&cc

When I have multiple adjustment brushes/radial/graduated filters...........LR5 is unbelievably slow.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2013 12:12 PM   in reply to kamaaina63

I though upgrading to 16gb ram from 8gb was going to help.  Nope.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2013 12:25 PM   in reply to wg&cc

I am experiencing the same extreme slowdown. Espec with adjustment brush and healing brush. Virtually unuseable.

iMac i7,10.8.4,16GB ram.

vince

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2013 4:10 PM   in reply to wg&cc

This is absolutely ridiculous.  I just created a new adjustment brush, then made a few strokes on different parts of the image, upped the exposure to see the result, and discovered it painted a few of the areas and then had straight lines across the image as if i dragged without letting go of the mouse.

Crazy lag.  

What should be taking me 15 min of editing, is taking me 45 min.

Is Adobe doing anything about this???

(win7, quadcore i5-760 @ 2.8ghz, 16gb ram)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2013 6:04 PM   in reply to kamaaina63

I had that problem working with a large tiff that had many corrections with cloning out objects (probably 3 dozen) – lag in positioning brush was so bad I could not accurately put brush on photo.  Also there have been times where white streaks appear after something has been cloned and one time a grey swath the width of the brush was left after cloning out wires.  I sent pictures of the problem to Adobe.  Have not heard back yet (8 days).

Gary Ray

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2013 6:11 PM   in reply to kamaaina63

Actually, I did have one reply (Adobe Forums) about the jittery movement of the brush on my Windows version on an Intel i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz with 6GB RAM and HHD with 89GB free memory:

·         1.  <http://forums.adobe.com/message/5585333#5585333> web-weaver <http://forums.adobe.com/people/web-weaver> ,

<http://forums.adobe.com/message/5585327> http://forums.adobe.com/4.5.6/resources/images/status/member_46x12.BW. pnghttp://forums.adobe.com/4.5.6/themes/adobe_forums_global/images/cus tom/plus.three_28x12.BW.png

Aug 11, 2013 11:27 AM    <http://forums.adobe.com/message/5585327#5585327> in reply to garyeray

Report <http://forums.adobe.com/message-abuse!input.jspa?objectID=5585333&obje ctType=2

Yes, it does sometimes. Keep in mind that cloning / healing is very processor and memory intensive, and that Lr is not designed to do lots and lots of cloning on one image - your three dozen is probably pushing the envelope. Also with 6 GB of RAM you are at the lower margin for running Lr smoothly.

There are two possible remedies:

a) Delete the history by clicking on the small x in the header of the history panel.

If you don't want to delete the history:

b) When you notice that Lr becomes sluggish close down Lr and open it up again.

Guess I’ll add more memory – it’s cheap.  No answer from anyone about the white streaks or gray brush stroke left after cloning – and this happened when not a lot of corrections had been made.

Gary Ray

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2013 3:51 PM   in reply to garyeray

@garyeray.......upgrading my ram from 8gb to 16gb did not fix a thing.....fyi.

I honestly don't think upgrading system memory or proc would fix the adjustment brush slowness.

I think LR5 has some serious memory leakage issues or something else in the software that is creating this slowdown.

@Adobe....please please please update us on this issue and fix it.

I guess the quick fix would be: not to use LR5 for any kind of adjustment brush, and just do them in PS.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2013 4:15 PM   in reply to kanakakai74

In my experience, there may be a problem with the "noise reduction section" of the detail panel.

LR is always slowing extremely when using the noise sliders (not for any others when just using noise sliders) after one turn of before/after.

I hope this may help for fixing the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2013 4:35 PM   in reply to TurgayOrhan

@TurgayOrhan.....

THANK YOU!

I ZERO'd out the all noise values, and adjustments are working fast again.

i created a preset to ZERO out the values, and another preset to put my default values back in.

Huge tip!  Thanks again!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points