Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Indesign cc crash on selecting multiple table row

Jun 25, 2013 2:59 PM

Tags: #crash #table_problem #cc #indesign_cc

If i try to select more than a row or the entire column indesign crash and quit. exported to cs6 and opened it works perfectly

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ih8nu2cfc1rjs3/tableproblem.indd

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 27, 2013 7:44 AM   in reply to fxdstudio

Hi,

I'm experiencing exactly the same error - this is on a MacPro4.1 with Mountain Lion. I've repaired permissions and all the hardware checks out. Seems to crash on table selection - also in overprint the redraw on table selections is all over the place (selecting the top row seems to select 2 below it, switching to standard view seems to display correctly). CC seems very buggy, hopefully I can save my work as a template and use CS6 to finish up (going to print in less than 2 hours!)

Worth noting that there is no other program running in the background and it happens from a clean reboot.

Here's the report:

Process:         Adobe InDesign CC [227]

Path:            /Applications/Adobe InDesign CC/Adobe InDesign CC.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe InDesign CC

Identifier:      com.adobe.InDesign

Version:         9.0.0.244 (9000)

Code Type:       X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process:  launchd [118]

User ID:         501

Date/Time:       2013-06-27 15:37:57.208 +0100

OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.8.4 (12E55)

Report Version:  10

Interval Since Last Report:          123663 sec

Crashes Since Last Report:           4

Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  81445 sec

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   4

Anonymous UUID:                      EE196355-9B41-C217-A3F7-7C12613A3228

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000

VM Regions Near 0:

-->

__TEXT                 0000000100000000-0000000100006000 [   24K] r-x/rwx SM=COW  /Applications/Adobe InDesign CC/Adobe InDesign CC.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe InDesign CC

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

0   com.adobe.InDesign.Widgets              0x0000000111d308a3 0x111cec000 + 280739

1   com.adobe.InDesign.Tables UI            0x00000001181d6954 0x118153000 + 538964

2   com.adobe.InDesign.Tables UI            0x00000001181d5fc7 0x118153000 + 536519

3   com.adobe.InDesign.Tables UI            0x00000001181d8b42 0x118153000 + 547650

4   com.adobe.InDesign.Table Model          0x0000000113abca9b 0x113aa4000 + 101019

5   com.adobe.InDesign.Table Model          0x0000000113abc0b5 0x113aa4000 + 98485

6   com.adobe.InDesign.Table Model          0x0000000113aba2a5 0x113aa4000 + 90789

7   com.adobe.InDesign.Table Model          0x0000000113b5404e 0x113aa4000 + 720974

8   com.adobe.InDesign.Text                 0x00000001133d3859 0x113267000 + 1493081

9   com.adobe.InDesign.Text                 0x00000001133e11a9 0x113267000 + 1548713

10  com.adobe.InDesign.Text                 0x000000011340e518 0x113267000 + 1733912

11  com.adobe.InDesign.Text                 0x0000000113409613 0x113267000 + 1713683

12  com.adobe.InDesign.Text                 0x000000011342847a 0x113267000 + 1840250

13  com.adobe.InDesign.Text                 0x000000011342833a 0x113267000 + 1839930

14  com.adobe.InDesign.Text                 0x00000001134220a8 0x113267000 + 1814696

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 7:45 AM   in reply to WestlandDesignDepartment

Is there a dropshadow involved anywhere? If so, get rid of it and try again.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 8:00 AM   in reply to fxdstudio

That does seem to be a known issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 8:53 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Hmm, I have the same problem and there are no shadows involved. Object styles used: Transparency; Bevel/Emboss.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 9:06 AM   in reply to CobaltKobold

Kill all of the transparency and see what happens.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 9:11 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

No luck - however, I then tried disabling the bevel/emboss and that stopped the crash.  As soon as I re-applied the bevel, it started crashing again. Somewhat problematic as I need the bevel to look right, but hopefully this will help some others.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 3:03 PM   in reply to fxdstudio

I've been experiencing the exact same problems when trying to edit a table in InDesign CC. Four out of five times I can select multiple rows without problems, and then suddenly it will crash. This problem has occurred regardless of wether any effects were applied or not.

In the minute before the crash InDesign begins to break down slowly every time in the same way, I know this exactly now since I have had to deal with it about ten times today. I become unable of selecting anything within the table, then I'm unable to select any frames at all, and finally it isn't even possible to move around the document anymore, after which InDesign crashes.

I have tried simply saving a lot in between but it seems that any earlier version of the file that I've been editing gets corrupted after a crash. Meaning that even after I reload an earlier save, that will suffer from the same problems as described above, and so far I have seen no other solution than to start all over again.

With that said, I hope that Adobe creates an update for that soon. As is, InDesign is useless for anything that will require table editing. I would appreciate a notification perhaps in this thread when this problem has been solved.

Many Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2013 3:25 PM   in reply to YXZeller

Same problem. No effects. Just selecting a row does it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 1:07 AM   in reply to fxdstudio

Well, let me join the discussion. I am experiencing the exact same problem. It is really unbelievable to me that Bob Levine says "it's a known issue". Killing the effects on the table solved my problem, but it didn't solve the general problem. If this was 1995, I would understand the complexity of such effects (Corel Draw had these kind of issues years ago, where you could apply all sorts of effects, but then had huge problems with pre-press preparation). Adobe and Bob Levine, please fix this bug, because I am working a lot with tables and it's slowing me down tremendously, not to say that I have to save my work every 2 minutes.

My co-worker doesn't have any problems with the same file on his computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 1:32 AM   in reply to tomo kugy

It's very rare that Adobe staff visit the forums - these are user to user forums - they are not a direct communication tool to get in touch with staff.

You can see that the person is a staff member as it will be noted on their thumbnail image (avatar) beside their post.

Bob is not an Adobe employee, he is merely an InDesign user trying to help other InDesign users.

Bob has not pull at Adobe to make anything happen.

The fact that it is a "known issue" is a clue really that they know about it and are working on a fix.

If your co-worker can work on the file just fine on their computer - then did  you ever stop to think it might be an issue with your installation of InDesign? Your computer specs?

There really is no reason to bate other users who are simply trying to help.

We all have the software, we all exeperience the same issues, and we all try to help each out as courtesly as possible.

In return, we expect the same courtesy and manners as if you were asking a stranger for help, directions, or simply talking to them face to face.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 1:42 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

Dear Eugene,

I am sorry if my reply was a bit harsh, I didn't mean to offend anyone, but I am quite frustrated with this problem. I have created a 112-page Company Annual Report document with A LOT of tables in CS6 about a month ago. Everything worked fine. In the meantime I have upgraded to CC and now I have to create the same Annual Report in another language. And I have problems editing the tables in the oirginal file as well as the new one. I have unistalled and re-installed the complete InDesign CC and it didn't fix the problem. Killing the effects is the only thing that works (for now) and I am sorry to say that this is unacceptable to me. If it worked fine in the previous versions (at least for me), I cannot accept that it doesn't work here.

I am under a lot of pressure from my clients and these kind of problems always warm me up.

Sorry again and keep on good work.

Best,

Tomaz

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 2:12 AM   in reply to tomo kugy

I completely agree - it's not good enough.

We as a community are not happy with this - and several other things.

I suggest that you keep on working with CS6 for this product and use CC for new projects.

In the meantime - uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't really help - as it leaves preferences folders and other setting folders, which are not overwritten on the reinstall.

To combat this Adobe has released a "Cleaner Tool" http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

I admit I don't know if this is apparent to anybody uninstalling or reinstalling.

But I hope that it helps with your issue.

Other troubleshooting steps you can take are

1. Create a New User login for your computer - see if the problem persists
    2. Peters note (post 2) on exporting to Tagged Text to clear corruption http://forums.adobe.com/message/5468925#5468925
    3. Export the file from CS6 to IDML and open that in CC forums.adobe.com/thread/526991

Hope they help

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2013 7:56 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

Hi All,

We regret that you are facing issues in CC.

Recently an update to CC has been posted in which we fixed similar issues that are being discussed here. I have verified with the attached document that it is no longer crashing afet applying the update.

I would recommend that you update to the latest patcher and try again. Do post here if the issue is not resolved even after applying the patch.

Thanks and Regards

Javed

Adobe InDesign Engineering team

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2013 10:59 PM   in reply to Mohammad Javed Ali

Hi Mjavs and all of the others facing the multiple rowe selection problems.

I am prout to say that the latest update fixed my problem. I've tried it on two different documents I've had problems with and it works. Great. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the bug doesn't come back.

Thanks.

Best,

Tomaz

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2014 3:31 AM   in reply to Mohammad Javed Ali

I seem to have a similar problem:

• Selecting multiple table cells crashes indesign. One row or all rows - doesn't matter.
    • When trying to select table or cell styles indesign crashes.
    • Trying to apply paragraph styles crashes it.
    • clearing paragraph overrides crashes ID
    • Trying to synchronise across the book (would affect those styles) crashes ID.

Have tried:

• Converting table to text and recreating table
    • Exporting document as IDML and recreating.

This is a CC original document, although the material came from placing (but not linking) a Word document.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2014 3:41 AM   in reply to Alex_Gibson

It appears my problem was caused by having indents on paragraph styles used in the table AND cell insets on the table cell styles.

The two combined to create a negative space for the text and although ID shouldn't crash because of this, it did.

Where do I post bug reports...?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2014 3:46 AM   in reply to Alex_Gibson

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

But there's zero chance it will be fixed for any version prior to CS6, and virtually no chance for CS6 (whre it would only get fixed if a CC fix can be ported backwards).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2014 6:12 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Hi All,

I believe this issue is fixed. People still facing the issue have you updated to the latest patch by Adobe for InDesign.

If so and you still happen to be facing the issue kindly explain a brief about the issue and submit a bug report using the link

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Please do send in any files that ay be helful for the InDesign team to reproduce the issue at their end.

Thanks

Javed

Adobe InDesign Team

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2014 6:54 AM   in reply to Mohammad Javed Ali

Fixed for which version? And with which patch? We're still waiting on the 9.2 patch....

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2014 7:02 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

We had fixed some bugs relating to table in 9.1.

Please see note by me above mentioning the same.

Hi All,

We regret that you are facing issues in CC.

Recently an update to CC has been posted in which we fixed similar issues that are being discussed here. I have verified with the attached document that it is no longer crashing afet applying the update.

I would recommend that you update to the latest patcher and try again. Do post here if the issue is not resolved even after applying the patch.

Thanks and Regards

Javed

Adobe InDesign Engineering team

Please do let us know if even after this patch you are seeing the issue.

Thanks

Javed

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2014 7:07 AM   in reply to Mohammad Javed Ali

OK, that makes sense. This should have been fixed in 9.1, so it's likely Alex_Gibson is using an earlier version.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2014 1:29 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Actually I am using 9.1 x64, on Windows 8.1. The indesign file was created in that environment.

So there is still a bug in the current version - I have reported it via the form.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2014 10:43 AM   in reply to Mohammad Javed Ali

I'm not sure if it's the same issue, or just a related one, but InDesign CC keeps crashing on me whenever I try to apply a table cell style and clear overrides, or clear attributes not defined by style. This is in a template file we've used with no problems in all versions since CS4 until now.

I'm on a Mac (OS X 10.9.2) and running the latest version of InDesign CC (9.2.1).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2014 9:54 PM   in reply to Erdufylla

Can you share with us the file that you are facing the issue in.

Please mail it to sharewithid@adobe.com

Thanks

Javed

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points