Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Fluid grid not very. Fluid.

Jun 25, 2013 10:08 PM

I was under the impression (incorrect) that one advantage to the fluid layout was that I could control the layout for different resolutions/devices.  Arrange things for the desktop, a different design for the phone, etc. Changing the poistion of one would not effect the other. Even remove  undesired elements. For example, a video on the desktop would not show on the phone.

When I arrange things for the smallest layont - say a phone, the other layouts change as well. For example, it my logo is on the right on the desktop, I want it on top on the phone. Can't do it. Move it on the phone layout and it's now on the left on the desktop. If I delete a DIV for the tablet, it's deleted in all three layouts. I can have a video in my desktop - no bandwidth problem. But I don't want the video on the phone. Can't do that without a lot of hand-coding.

At this point, as cool a concept as the fluid layout tool is in Dreamweaver, it's not very useful in practicality. Way too limited.

Or am I missing something?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 25, 2013 10:41 PM   in reply to RickChicago

You are missing something!

Maybe you should have a look at the Foundation framework and some of the templates.

Open a template and play around with the width of the browser window.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 26, 2013 12:34 AM   in reply to RickChicago

Sorry, I guess I am the wrong person to answer questions related to the DW Fluid Grid Layout, I had a look at it when it was first introduced and absolutely hated it. I do believe that the current version has been improved; but I still have my doubts based on the history of Spry, ADDT and the Server Behaviours panel where Adobe decided to no longer support/maintain these.

You say that you have been using Bootstrap, in that case have a look here http://www.dmxzone.com/go/21759/dmxzone-bootstrap/

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points