Skip navigation
pamelarproof
Currently Being Moderated

"project appears to be damaged and cannot be opened" message

Jun 26, 2013 9:29 AM

What is causing my recent projects to not re-open? And what causes this "project appears to be damaged and cannot be opened" issue?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 26, 2013 9:36 AM   in reply to pamelarproof

Hard to say. How are you attempting to open these files? Are you using File/Open Project, for instance?

Are these projects that were created on the same computer and with the same version of the program you're using now?

Is it impossible to open every one of your projects or just one or a few?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 10:44 AM   in reply to pamelarproof

Welcome to the forum.

Along with Steve's questions, if you navigate to the AutoSave folder for each problem Project, are you able to Open one of those?

That will not address "what's happening?" but might allow you to finish a Project, or two.

Note: AutoSave is FIFO (First In - First Out), so check the Date/Time of those AutoSave files to find the lastest one - #3 might be newer than #5, etc.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 5:26 PM   in reply to pamelarproof

I/O = Input and Output. It usually referrs to the system's HDD's, but can be used for the keyboard, the mouse, a tablet. Still, the most common use of the term is related to the HDD's and their controller.

I would list your computer's full specs., paying special attention to all of your HDD's, their controller type, their speed, their size and free-space, and how you have them allocated. Also, if you have partitioned any of your HDD's, please list the details.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 7:47 PM   in reply to pamelarproof

pamelaproof

Just saw your thread and thought that I would contribute these comments....

a. As asked by SG, what version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

b. I am jumping ahead of the classical questions on your source media, project settings, computer environment and the like to cut to the damaged project aspects of issues. In that regard have you read the Adobe Tech Note that addresses troubleshooting suspected damaged projects?

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/troubleshoot-damaged-proje cts-premiere-elements.html

c. But you cannot escape the answers being in the details. Best not to take anything for granted by the person asking the question nor the person asking the questions. SG started off with some important questions. I do not see answers to those questions yet in order for him and others to sort through to an answer for you. Please answer his questions before mine so that we can rule factors in or out as asked.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 11:19 AM   in reply to pamelarproof

Just to rule out this possibility, when you installed the larger HDD, did you also set that up in your computer's BIOS (from SETUP), or just in Windows?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 11:45 AM   in reply to pamelarproof

If a competent tech did the installation, then they should have done all proper settings, both in the BIOS and in Windows. It's always worth just asking for verification.

Good luck, that probably has no bearing on why your PREL's are becoming corrupt.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points