Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CREEP!!!! It's creepy!!!! Need help figuring it out.

Jun 26, 2013 8:46 AM

I have a 92 page booklet. It is printed out so pages are 8.5" x 7" printed on legal paper to be saddle stapled in the middle when completed. How do I adjust for creep? I see a setting for it. I have CS5 version. I will not be able to download a plug in....etc. Needs to be a quick, simple, not over-the-top technical solution.

But wait--there's more--I actaully set the REAL book up as 8 1/2 x 11 inch pages. I then just printed out at 65% and it fit pefectly on the legal size and looks nicer. It is the creep thing that is the only problem. I need to get this done or I risk the possibility of not going on vacation and losing my cottage deposit. No stress here, eh?

Thank you.

Replies
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jun 26, 2013 2:04 PM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

Don't shoot me - but I think a plugin would work wonders for you

ImposrPro was a great plugin until Quark bought it 10 years ago.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jun 26, 2013 2:25 PM   in reply to Brenda VT Labor

How do I adjust for creep? I see a setting for it.

The creep amount changes depending on the thickness of the paper—you'll have to experiment. It's automatically adjusted until there's none at the center spread.

So 20pts. looks like this for the cover and back—there's 20 pts between the pages:

Screen Shot 2013-06-26 at 5.18.52 PM.png

And there is none for the center spread:

Screen Shot 2013-06-26 at 5.19.04 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 26, 2013 3:19 PM   in reply to Brenda VT Labor

This is exactly why Adobe strongly recommends against attempting to do booklet-making and other imposition within InDesign itself. This is the domain of high-end imposition software working upon the exported PDF file (logical page order, not spreads) that takes into account the attributes of the specifications of your final “print product” (how it is put together including binding). the print device characteristics, and the dimensions of the physical sheet being printing upon and its thickness.

You shouldn't be committing to such parameters in a layout program which in fact is InDesign other than making sure that your page margins can accommodate worst-case situations.

Print service providers that require that you do imposition are not service providers! They are lazy blame shifters!

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jun 26, 2013 4:17 PM   in reply to Dov Isaacs

I think the OP is printing in house

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 26, 2013 4:46 PM   in reply to Rob Day

If the OP has need for this type of sophistication, then he should investigate Acrobat plug-ins that handle imposition if the printer's RIP cannot handle it.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points