Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Starting with Encore - A Bit Stressed and Panic Stricken

Jun 26, 2013 10:12 AM

Hi Guys

I'm using CS6 Master Collection on a Win7 (SP1) PC (over in PAL land). Believe it or not this is my first atempt at authoring to Encore (been outputting for the web for several years and the softewre I used to use doesn't work on Win7!)

I've just had a real rush job and I need to put it on a DVD this evening (GMT) that plays as a loop for a stand at a trade show. Is there a quick easy way? I'm exporting from PremierePro as an AVI (or should I export as MPG 2?) which is 18 minutes long. I do not need menus or any fancy stuff; I just need to whack the DVD into the player and let it play as a loop.

Any advice would be welcome as I've run out of road and need to get it on disk in the next few hours and my nerves are getting a bit freyed.

Regards,

Graham

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 26, 2013 10:23 AM   in reply to glaustin

In Encore, make a timeline for the video. Make it first play. Set the end action of the timeline to itself.

Two methods for export.

Export from Premiere as MPEG2-DVD. You will get two files: m2v and a3c. From Encore, import "as timeline" and select both files.

OR

From PR, do not export, select File -> Adobe Dynamic Link -> Send to Encore. This will open Encore. Just make a timeline as above.

If your source is high def, dynamic link (DL) is more likely to cause problems. At the first sign that DL isn't working, use the export from PR method.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 10:27 AM   in reply to glaustin

Also, The tutorial list in message #3 http://forums.adobe.com/message/2276578 may help

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 10:51 AM   in reply to John T Smith

In your other thread, you identify your material as HDV. If you go the DVD route, you will be downrezzing, whether using the MPEG2-DVD export or DL. Use an upscaling player and you will get your best quality. If the player they are using is DVD, you have no choice but to downrez.

Or use a bluray disk and player. Export to H264-bluray.

Same authoring workflow: create timeline in  Encore, end action on timeline to itself. Burn to BD-R. See if that gives you what you want.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 12:28 PM   in reply to glaustin

Some people have problems with Dynamic Link... do what I said in your other message thread, I think it was #2 in what I posted

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 12:51 PM   in reply to glaustin

The image in the monitor will look better than what you will see once it is downrezzed to DVD size. Make sure you are looking at the monitor set to 100% (not "fit" or 200%) so that it is not over-enlarged.

You will not know what you have until you are looking at the disk playing on the player/TV.

Try it both ways and see what you get.

It is short so transcode time is not an issue, right? If it is, use a short section with movement as your sample.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 3:09 PM   in reply to glaustin

I don't know why the quality is so poor. I imported the MPG2DVD version (which is 720x576, upper field first) and just resized from fit to 100% and it looks... worse

Try the DL also. It will max the quality.

In the "end action" I see my movies name, chapter 1. I assume that's what I choose?

yes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 3:32 PM   in reply to glaustin

Post a screendump of your export settings in Premiere.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 4:13 PM   in reply to glaustin

Don't worry about the Encore preview quality. It is worrisome, but if you get good results from the burned disk, you get the job done.

The test you want is on the equipment that will be used. If they are using a small HD TV (or larger even more so), you want an upscaling player. Test it on the combination they will use.

Ann's suggestion is to look at whether you are getting the best quality out of your export settings. This is critical. When you have a disk with very little on it, Encore's automatic setting will normally max the quality. But, as noted above, it may not do a good job on down rezzing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 10:49 AM   in reply to glaustin

Congrats on your success, and thanks for letting us know.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2013 8:42 AM   in reply to glaustin

I would go for VBR2 2.8, 8, 9 and export with Max Render Quality if you do not have GPU hardware.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2013 7:30 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

Ann, for a 19 minute only-video-on-the-disk situation, why not just go CBR 8?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2013 7:44 PM   in reply to glaustin

my card is a Nvidia FX3800 so I should be OK without max rendering,

For quality, GPU export for sure:

http://www.precomposed.com/blog/2013/06/ame-vs-premiere/

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)