Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS7: I'm stuck in an alternate universe!

Jun 26, 2013 2:20 PM

One in which Adobe is still releasing a desktop version of our favorite page layout app:

cs7.png

I've only handled two bewildered questions about this today. You know, like this: "But Jooooel, you said there wasn't going to be a CS7. I thought you were on the inside track!"

The other question was much better. I like the screenshot:

jw.png

Say it ain't so, Theun.

Anyhow: is this the error message you get when you try to open an InDesign CC/InDesign 9 file? Do you figure that a fixed you-can't-open-it message is already slated for the next CS6 update, or should I bother to file a feature request?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 26, 2013 2:37 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

What's in a name? The error should say version 9.0 and it would have covered

all possibilities. Still better than the old plugins mess we used to get.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 3:11 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

Joel, I assume you are being facetious, right?

The fact is that the decision to end the run of the Creative Suite was made exceptionally late in the InDesign development process (just a few months prior to the actual release) - much later than Adobe would normally allow any text strings to be modified - and that the team needed to scramble to fix as many messages as possible that referred to CS and revert to use of the base product numbering scheme (the first release of InDesign coming out under the Creative Cloud scheme is InDesign 9.0); that numbering scheme never went away but is was quite subservient to the CS release number.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 3:44 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

By the time they would get to it, the marketing wonks will come up with a totally different scheme, perhaps giving releases names like Fred or Gloria!

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 3:48 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

Joel Cherney wrote:

[..]

So, what do you think, Dov? Is this one worth a feature request?

My script is easily fixed. Since Adobe announced there will never be another new version (only updates), all I have to do is check if the internal version is >8. If so, my script will show "Version: CC".

(I know, people will complain they have "CC".)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 4:01 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

I like Fred better! 

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 3:35 AM   in reply to Joel Cherney

(Nudge to Adobe) It's not that much work: http://jongware.com/binaries/identify.zip has been updated to reflect the current scheme of InDesign names.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points