Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Two versions of InDesign CC by default?

Jun 26, 2013 3:28 PM

For some reason, when I choose to install InDesign CC, by default it

seems both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions are installed.

I don't want two versions. The 64-bit one is sufficient -- I have no

need for the 32-bit version.

But there doesn't seem to be any way to uninstall the 32-bit version and

leave the 64-bit version.

Is that true?

Ariel

Window 7-Ultimate, 64-bit

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 26, 2013 3:33 PM   in reply to [Ariel]

Yes it is true and no, there is no official way of uninstalling the 32-bit version (i.e., via an uninstaller). You of course can easily hide the 32-bit version by deleting (or better, moving elsewhere) the Start Menu item for that version.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 4:00 PM   in reply to [Ariel]

Conceptually, you could delete the entire 32-bit application directory for InDesign 9 32-bit.

However, I suspect that when the updater hits your system and it doesn't see that directory or even if some of the files are missing, you will probably need to do a total reinstall of InDesign to fix that issue and then apply the updates after which you might be able to delete the directory again.

I do understand your use of SSDs and the need to conserve space. (All my disk drives on both my desktop and notebook systems are SSDs - once you go with them, you can't go back to rotating media other than for cheap backup drives!)

I believe that in the long term, once plugs-ins are widely available for the 64-bit versions of these applications (Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign) and 32-bit only versions of hardware and OS are gone, Adobe will only offer the 64-bit version. But that could be a few years (and releases).

In the meantime, anything you do other than hiding the Start Menu item, you do at your own risk of having to do some real nasty reinstallations whenever any updates are available.

Sorry!

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 5:01 PM   in reply to [Ariel]

You are not alone in your displeasure. I've made my voice heard and I

suggest you do the same via feature request/bug report. This is flat out

silly at this point. There's no need for 32 bit versions anymore.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 5:25 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

If you don't use plug-ins, that may be the case, but if you do and your plug-in vendor is slow in creating a 64-bit version (some of the plug-ins are entire ecosystems!) but can hack together a quick recompile of their 32-bit plug-in to work with 32-bit InDesign 9, you certainly want/need that 32-bit version.

What should be the case is that the 32-bit version be an optional install. Please submit a feature request. If enough paying users complain, maybe they will listen (Adobe employees aren't necessary listened to on these issues! )

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 6:13 PM   in reply to Dov Isaacs

Dov Isaacs wrote:

What should be the case is that the 32-bit version be an optional install.

That is exactly what I'd expect and what I would want.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points