Skip navigation
RippleEffect2002
Currently Being Moderated

Sony VG-10 - Premiere CS6 does NOT seem to like it

Jun 26, 2013 5:10 PM

Tags: #sony #premiere #playback #issues #cs6 #timeline #vg10 #vg-10

Been working with CS6 for a while now and footage from both a Sony NX5U and an AX2000. Absolutely NO issues whatsoever. But I recently got a VG-10 as I had been doing some stuff with my Canon 7D and LOVE the DLSR look. The VG10 footage is gorgeous but I've run into an issue; Premiere does NOT seem to like the m2ts files from the VG10 (NO ISSUES WITH M2TS FROM OTHER CAMERAS). I can edit it for a little while, maybe half hour, then the timeline starts freezing. To be more accurate, the VIDEO freezes. Sound plays fine but the picture lags. Takes a while to refresh. I thought it might be the computer so I tried it on my other edit suite and got the same thing. The only solution I've found is to convert the VG10 footage to MP4 files and then there's no problems but this is a pain in the ***.

Anyone had this issue and found a better solution than converting all the VG10 footage

BTW the computer are both Win7 64 bit, both have 24GB Corsair memory and GeForce GTX260 video cards.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 26, 2013 11:51 PM   in reply to RippleEffect2002

Hey Ripple, I don't work with STD MPEG-2 but I do run a NEX VG-20EH with WIN 7 64 SP1 (GTX690) and Production Premium CS6. Given that I have a very similar setup, I thought I would run some tests and I cannot reproduce your case with MPEG-2 even with Dynamic Linked clips to AE. Are you running WIN 7 SP1? And why convert to MPEG-4, why not shoot in AVCHD (AVC HD - PS, FX, FH, HQ or LP)? All these AVC HD formats are MPEG-4 (AVC/H.264). Also check Preimere Pro's Audio Hardware settings are set to WDM Sound. I've found that certain ASIO drivers will freeze the timeline.

Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 6:32 AM   in reply to Aaron Mulqueen

This may have nothing to do with the issue, but how do you import the files into Premiere? Best to copy the entire folder structure of memory card to your hard drive without alterations, then in Premiere, use the "Media Browser" rather than "Import". The keeps all the metadata intact and helps with playback for some formats.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 11:15 AM   in reply to RippleEffect2002

That's a common misconception that one needs to "fix" the clips BEFORE importing to Premiere. Actually does more harm than good for some users.

I rented an AX-2000 a couple weeks ago to shoot 6 dance recitals of 2.5 hours each. To get the clips into the CS6 system, I simply copied the entire contents of each SDHC card to unique folders on my video hard drive, then used MEDIA BROWSER in Premiere CS6 to import. Media Browser simply showed me ONE long clip in the bin and when I moved it to the timeline, again one long seamless clip, no glitches at the "invisible" seams or anything. Nothing could be simpler. Keeps perfect sync with the other camera, which was recorded as ProRes using Ninja 2.

That's the beauty of Media Browser, that it looks at the metadata and knows how to properly handle spanned clips properly behind the scenes, so that you don't have to worry or do extra work. Please try this workflow and see if it fixes the issue.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 2:03 PM   in reply to RippleEffect2002

RippleEffect2002 wrote:

the cameras (all 3) only shoot in the M2TS format

Hey Ripple, I cannot speak for the other cameras you have but the NEX VG series handycams do shoot in formats other than STD MPEG-2. In fact STD MPEG-2 on a NEX VG handycam is the lowest recording quality. NEX VG-10, 20, 30 and 900 support AVCHD (MPEG-4) with these onboard HD quality settings - PS, FX, FH, HQ and LP all of which are AVC/H.264 (MPEG-4).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points