• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to use Baskerville bold italic font in iOS?

Engaged ,
Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I want to use bold italic Baskerville. No matter what I do, it always shows up as regular in the device (without bold or italic). My code works fine on desktop.

I've tried using TextFormat class properties, which work for fonts like Georgia or Helvetica, but it doesn't for Baskerville.

textFormat.font = "Georgia";
textFormat
.bold = true;
textFormat
.italic = true;

I've also tried using the official iOS name of the font which is "Baskerville-BoldItalic" nothing.

I've listed all the fonts using this

var allFonts:Array = Font.enumerateFonts(true);

And it only lists the regular fonts, no bold or italic versions.

Any ideas on how to make Baskerville render in bold or/and italic?

TIA

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried setting the font to "Baskerville Bold Italic" with the bold and italics flags set to false?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I have tried all possible combinations...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I asked this one specifically because I am using that name with the Text Layout Framework on an iOS app and it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the Textfield class, and TextFormat class. I do not want the extra overhead of using TLF.

Anyway I will try with TLF and get back to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it seems I'm out of luck. I'm using Flash CC, and there is a bug. I cannot import the class, because some SWC is missing.

import fl.text.TLFTextField;

And that throws the error:

1017: The definition of base class TLFTextField was not found.

I've already filled a bug report in bugbase...

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3586600

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait a minute...

Are you using an Embed font or a Device font?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I'm talking about all device fonts on iOS. I am using the text layout framework with device fonts. I am using FlashBuilder though, not Flash CC, not sure what SDK or swc libs you get with Flash CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well the answer is simple. TLF text has been deprecated... and removed from Flash CC.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flash/cs/using/WSb03e830bd6f770ee-4b0db644124bbdb363d-8000.html

So I cannot use TLF text. Great.

Do you have any experience with embed fonts in iOS? I'm under the impression that embeding is not very good performance wise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I don't know exactly how you are using fonts or text in your app, but TLF can still be used, it is part of apache-flex with newer builds

http://flex.apache.org/

But I don't know anything about how/if it integrates the way you need in Flash CC.

I don't see a problem with the embedded fonts I use, but my apps are also Stage3D not Flex components, using TLF to render text lines at the text engine Sprite level, not with Flex components.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info.

I'll go with the embed route then, and cross fingers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Could you please open a new bug report on this over at bugbase.adobe.com? Once the bug has been added would you mind posting back with the URL so that others affected can add their votes and comments?

Thanks,

Nimit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 28, 2013 Jun 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, here is the bug report https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3587210

BTW, I have tried embedding the font, and I got a new problem.... I've described my new problem in the flash forum and in StackOverflow.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5457958#5457958

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17356240/as3-font-embed-height-issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines