Skip navigation
ric.morris@comcast.net
Currently Being Moderated

Rolling title flicker in PE11 DVD playback

Jun 26, 2013 10:54 PM

Tags: #flickering #still_image #title_roll

Hi. I'm a mostly successful user of PE11 for Mac (graduated unceremoniously from PE10). This question is about flickering despite the flicker filter being fully deployed. It seems this phenomenon is harder to suppress in PE11 than in 10?

Specifically... some JPEG and TIFF stills retain considerable flicker even on high anti-flicker setting. Some of these are 600 dpi+.  Should the dimensions of stills be a certain value?  If so, what?

A soft flicker along horizontal lines seems hard to suppress in video also. SD from Canon camcorder, 24 fps, transferred as mp4s, and dragged as such into the timeline. The flicker does not appear pre- or post-render but appears on late-model flatscreen TV when played back on DVD.  Could this be a DVD burn problem or even a TV problem?

Rolling titles created within PE11 appear to be flicker-filterable, but the flicker seems scarcely reduced on DVD playback (white titles, plain font, reasonable slow speed, abt 40 pitch).

Preset: NTSC, 16:9 (can provide more if needed)

I saw a similar post by a PC user from 2012 but the thread apparently died before it was resolved.

Thanks a ton in advance!!

Ric

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 27, 2013 5:18 AM   in reply to ric.morris@comcast.net

Any photos you use in Premiere Elements should be resized to no larger than 2000x1500 pixels. (The resolution doesnt matter, so most people use 72 ppi.)

Larger photos do not give you better results. In fact, the often give you problematic results, as you describe. They also slow down the program's performance and often crash it.

You can also reduce flicker in pictures by right-clicking on them on the timeline, selecting Field Options and then checking the option for Flicker Removal.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 7:06 AM   in reply to ric.morris@comcast.net

Ric

I am strictly an Elements Windows user, so I would ask some of the following questions from that perspective as I view your Premiere Elements Mac situation.

a. Does your Premiere Elements have an Anti-Flicker slider (0 to 1.0) in

version 10: Properties Palette/Motion Panel expanded

version 11: Applied Effects/Motion Panel expanded

If so, have you used it for what you are calling flicker?

b. Are your photos all from cameras? Are any freeze frames from video? If the latter, De-interlace may be in order.

c. I have not run into rolling titles that filter so please describe how you are creating these rolling titles...Add Image, duration of title, font style, font size. How are you telling the different between the rolling title flickering versus what is below it in the tracks flickering? Or is there nothing below it?

d. Something to look into

The flicker does not appear pre- or post-render but appears on late-model flatscreen TV when played back on DVD.  Could this be a DVD burn problem or even a TV problem?

If you play back a store purchased movie in DVD-VIDEO format on this TV, do you see this flicker?

Just some thoughts for now.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 9:38 AM   in reply to ric.morris@comcast.net

Ric

Thanks for the follow up.

Just a quick note or two...

You can right click the photo in Premiere Elements 11, select Field Options, and then Always Deinterlace to determine if that has any influence on your Timeline Freeze Frame content.

It used to be (before Photoshop Elements 11) that one could select Edit in Adobe Photoshop Elements in Premiere Elements and get sent to its integrated Photoshop Elements Full Editor where De-interlace could be applied via Filter Menu/Video/De-interlace. The Filter Menu/Video/De-interlace seems to have disappeared from Photoshop Elements 11.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 11:08 AM   in reply to ric.morris@comcast.net

Ric,

While others work on the "flicker," I have two comments:

DPI/PPI is meaningless in Video, and only matter with direct display on a computer monitor, or when printing.

Serif fonts can cause flicker, as can fonts with thin ascenders/descenders. I use a Bold, san-serif font, or even a Black san-serif, depending on what I need from a typography standpoint. I try to never use serif fonts, and no thin fonts, like University Roman.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points