Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I get RTL support in IND CC?

Jun 27, 2013 5:21 AM

Tags: #indesign #in #arabic #support #rtl #hebrew

Hi There,

I uninstalled InDesign CS6 and when I tried to install it back in Adobe App Manager I don't see it. Instead there were InDesign CC available. So, I install it. However the InDesign CS6 I had support RTL languages such as Arabic and Hebrew. I need it for some project that are still in work.

Now, for my surprise, InDesign CC do not have such thing. I am sure I did something wrong but I cannot understand what.

Please help me to solve the issue.

Regards,

Sebastian

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 27, 2013 5:58 AM   in reply to sebdea

To reinstall CS6 if you have the Creative Cloud installed, go to: creative.adobe.com.

Click on Download Center. Scroll down to InDesign and click Download. About the middle of the InDesign CC page, under the heading "In This Version" there is a popup menu where you can choose InDesign CS6.

In either version, to use RTL, you need to use the World Ready Composer. However, to properly punctuate RTL and compose stories, you also need to use an additional plugin like World Tools (which probably isn't available yet for InDesign CC).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 6:09 AM   in reply to sebdea

Just a second. It's very easy to download the Middle Eastern version of

InDesign CC (and all the other apps).

Open the Creative Cloud app on your desktop. Then go to Preferences (the

cog-wheel icon)>App, and under the "App Language" dropdown, select the

version you want. If you want Hebrew, select English תומך עברית

That's it. Now when you install the application, the version you have

asked for is installed.

Ariel

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 7:03 AM   in reply to sebdea

Sebastian,

Please delete your auto-signature and personal info when you reply by email. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 8:27 AM   in reply to sebdea

Just adding my two cents..

You can certainly use the rtl text with InDesign CC English version too, although many capabilities that you will get installing the ME version will not be there the basic working can be implemented.

All you need to do in go to Indesign preferences -> Advance Type

Change the composer to - > Adobe World Ready paragraph Composer

Then once you enable your keyboard to type a rtl language and select a font such as adobe Arabic or adobe Hebrew you can type RTL in Indeisng CC.

Hope it helps

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 8:32 AM   in reply to Ankit Kanwara.

However, based on what I watched of Diane Burns' excellent Lynda.com video on Multilingual Publishing on Lynda.com, turning on the Adobe World Ready Composer is not sufficient to handle punctuation correctly (it appears at the wrong side of a line), and doesn't handle RTL story text flow properly. You have to have the addition of a plug-in like Harbs' World Tools to have all the features of the ME version.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 9:59 AM   in reply to sebdea

Hi Sebastian,

Yes, you normally would only want one version of InDesign 9 (CC) on your

computer, so it's best to uninstall it, and then reinstall the ME version.

Steve, since now with the Creative Cloud everyone can get the ME version

with RTL support of InDesign for no extra cost, I think the workarounds

you're mentioning are moot points. Anyone who wants the best available

options for setting RTL texts should simply install the ME version of

InDesign CC. All the features of the regular version are there, plus a

whole bunch of extra things useful for RTL texts. Nothing is lost, only

gained.

Ariel

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 2:21 PM   in reply to sebdea

You can have both CC and CS6 products installed at the same time. Here's how to reinstall the CS6 versions:

To reinstall CS6 if you have the Creative Cloud installed, go to: creative.adobe.com.

Click on Download Center. Scroll down to InDesign and click Download. About the middle of the InDesign CC page, under the heading "In This Version" there is a popup menu where you can choose InDesign CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2013 9:40 AM   in reply to Ankit Kanwara.

I desperately need some help here. I have InDesign CC installed with App Preference set to English תומך עברית and have set it up to work properly with the World Ready composer.

My problem is that I cannot find the options to change charcter direction. My help searches show it in the paragraph palette and the character palette but I don't see it in either place. Is there something else I need to activate to show character direction options?

Please advise -- this is urgent as I have a job to finish where I cannot properly change character direction.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2013 7:58 AM   in reply to Cyndee M

Hey Cyndee,

If you have the ME version it should say "Middle Eastern Version " if you click Help -> About InDesign. So make sure you have the right version

Secondly it is the Paragraph panel and not the Paragraph Style panel which has the option so make sure you are looking in the right place. You can refer to the help document that has explanation of the ME features in InDesign.

Let us know if that helps or not.

- Ankit

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 2:51 PM   in reply to Ankit Kanwara.

Thanks, that was it, I found it on my own. Despite the fact the App Preference had the right language setting, that version had not been downloaded. Now I've got it installed and all is fine.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points