Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can't save a .wav file in CC after import & creating markers

Jun 27, 2013 6:44 AM

Tags: #save #.wav #audtion #cc_version

Hello,

I am stuck!

I have imported a .wav file into Audition CC, set a couple of markers and want to save the file but I can't!! What am I doing wrong?

The file's properties are:

Screenshot_27_06_13_11_37_PM.jpg

I only option I can see is if I select the whole file and then I get an option to Save Selection As.

I don't really want to do this.

Am I just missing something obvious here?

Ben.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 27, 2013 8:21 AM   in reply to Benjamin Waller

When it "can't" save, is there an error message or anything?  The first think I could think of is if you were going beyond the 4 GB limit of WAV before you go into RF64 territory (the markers are different there).

As it currently stands, 11:11.214 (671.214 seconds) * 96000 samples per second * 2 channels * 2 bytes per sample = 257,746,176 bytes = 245.8 MB, so you're not there and that's probably not the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 9:12 AM   in reply to Benjamin Waller

We'd need to know the specific experience or error message that occurs when you try to save the file.  Is the file on disk read-only? 

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,591 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 27, 2013 3:06 PM   in reply to _durin_

If the only thing you've done is to add markers to the file, you won't get an option to save it unless you have a check in the 'include markers and other metadata' box. If you don't do this, you'll only get the 'save as' option, because the file itself hasn't changed so it doesn't need saving again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2013 8:23 AM   in reply to Benjamin Waller

I just had the exact issue that Benjamin had with a file I was just now working on in Audition CC (Build 732 which is the newest version): Save and Save As... were both grayed out. The only way to save it was to quit and then I was prompted to save. When I reopened the file the save options were available.

Thanks for posting about this.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2014 2:48 PM   in reply to Benjamin Waller

I've just experienced the exact same issue. Brand new WAV file, I added a couple markers and even deleted a few seconds of audio off the front of the file. All of my Save options are grayed out, as are all of my tools except for the Select tool. I just thought Audition was being stupid and I had to select the parts i wanted to cut out instead of having the razor tool available. After closing, getting the prompt to save, and then opening again, everything is working okay.

Between this, and issues I keep having with Dreamweaver, I'm really beginning to look in other directions for software tools. Adobe's quality has been really going downhill in the last few years. Bugs like this used to be fixed within weeks. Here we are 9 months since this post was made and the bugstill exists. My Dreamweaver bug has been existant for six months and cripples a feature of my operating system (disable feature or experience bug).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2014 3:05 PM   in reply to TyBaldwin

We have a bug open for investigation on this issue, but until today we've only received 2 reports, neither of which have been able to reproduce it after restarting.  We have not been able to reproduce it during testing, either, but have kept the bug open to track until we can get more information. 

A few quick questions:

Did you experience this issue on a Mac or Windows system? 

When you say "Brand new WAV file" do you mean you recorded it within Audition, or was it created by a different application and opened in Audition?

If it was opened in Audition, did you launch Audition first and then open the file, or was it an action on the file or from another application which launched Audition and opened the file without any additional intervention?

Thanks,

Durin

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2014 3:30 PM   in reply to _durin_

Mac OS X 10.9.2

MacBook Pro Retina 15" Late 2013 w/ nVidia GT 750M

Adobe Audition 6.0 Build 732 (64 bit)

Downloaded WAV file from internet in a ZIP. Unzipped it. Played it in iTunes. Quit iTunes. Right clicked the file and chose Open With and Adobe Audition CC. I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've opened Audition on this computer, since I just recenly upgraded from an older MacBook. Edited the WAV, had the issue. Read the forums, closed and was prompted to save. Saved and then it finished closing. Right clicked on the file again and chose Open With and Adobe Audition CC. Now the file gave me the option to Save or Save As depending on how much further I edited the file, which was just cutting out more of the track. The razor tool, though, still not available. Had to put the cursor where I wanted, then used the Shift and Home buttons to select the beginning part of the track and the Delete key to remove it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2014 3:38 PM   in reply to TyBaldwin

Thanks for the details.  I'll add them to the bug and spend some time digging into this one again.  It certainly appears as if there can be a state or timing issue when Audition is launched via Open With whereby some flag isn't set indicating a file is open.  I'm curious if, for anyone reading this in the future who might be experiencing this issue, you create a new file in Audition (File > New > New Audio File) if the Save options are suddenly available for that first file.

As for the disabled tools, many of the tools are only available in certain editing modes.  When just viewing the Waveform in the editor, only the Selection tool is available.  If Spectral Frequency View is enabled (Shift+D or the view button in the toolbar) then the Lasso, Marquee, Paintbrush, and Auto-Heal tools are available.  Razor, Slip and Move Tool are only enabled while editing a session in Multitrack.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points