Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Still Image Slideshow Looks Awful... Export Setting?

Jun 27, 2013 4:15 PM

Tags: #premiere #slideshow #render #bad_quality

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to export a video that's basically 1 minute of high res images (taken on a Nikon D800 & D90) that fade from one to the next every 3 seconds, and a piece of music plays behind it.

I don't care what the final file size ends up being. I just need to export this video and have it look perfect. On my computer monitor however, so far in about a dozen combinations of file format / preset, they look completely pixelated and awful. The best I've gotten so far was an Mp4 (forget the exact preset I used, but I'm sure I could figure it out), but even that doesn't even look close to perfect on my computer monitor, and I'm sure once it's displayd big on a big widescreen TV it will look even worse. If I just display the images they look great (they're really high res after all), so it's obviously something with the various export settings...

Can anyone provide any help / insight into what good settings would be for a project like this? Again, file size doesn't matter at all. Not trying to save space. I just want this slideshow to look as good as if I was just flipping through a bunch of images on the computer in a image viewer...

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 27, 2013 5:47 PM   in reply to musicbydavidrosen

Start in Photoshop.  Set up a script to batch resize the images down to HD resolution (1920 x 1080), or near abouts.

In PP, create an AVC-Intra sequence using the AVC-I 100 1080p24 preset.  Add the images to that.  Add music and adjust as necessary.

Export using an H.264 HD 1080p 23.976 preset.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 8:12 PM   in reply to musicbydavidrosen

It'll probably be fine.  PP can resize the images.  It's just that PS does it a little better.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 8:30 PM   in reply to musicbydavidrosen

Panasonic is the only manufacturer of AVC-Intra cameras, and they only make one model that's 'affordable' at about $5,000.  So no, it's not a commonly used format round these parts.  I just happened to know that the preset would work for your purposes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 10:30 PM   in reply to musicbydavidrosen

Before you nominate Jim for sainthood I have a quick story to tell.

I just now put some pictures into Premiere Pro that were 4608X3072 and I dropped them on a sequence of the same frame size (by dropping them on the "New Item" button). Then I dropped that sequence on a 1920X1080 sequence and used motion to scale them down. I then exported to my usual 1080p YouTube settings and the pictures are as sharp in the video as they are in Bridge.

I used a DSLR preset for my project, and the new 1080p sequence uses I-Frame only MPEG for previews.

i am not saying to not do it Jim's way. In fact, if you do not plan on panning around your images, using Photoshop to scale the images is the fastest and easiest way.

However, it is not really necessary to scale them all the way down, and if you are panning, then certainly they need to be closer to full size.

Now, your camera shoots 7360X4912, a lot bigger than my little sensor can shoot, so you might want to resize to 50% or even 60% of the original size if you want to pan. Just know you don't have to go all the way to an HD frame size.

Also, I don't doubt that the AVC-Intra setting works great, but my DSLR setting does not cause me any problems.

Just to give you something to think about.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 9:31 AM   in reply to musicbydavidrosen

DV is standard definition.  So yes, the video will look pixelated when enlarged.

Both Jim & Steven's suggestions are HD.  Stick with HD.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points