Skip navigation
matt9969966
Currently Being Moderated

Messed up characters in Firefox browser

Jun 29, 2013 12:20 AM

Tags: #firefox #issues #touch_up_text_tool #acrobat_9

Hey all,

 

I've tried to Google for this answer and have come up short. If you look at this following manual that I have retouched...

 

[URL removed at Original Poster's request]

 

If you view it in Firefox (using the Firefox browser), notice how the characters on say, the footer of page 6 (and most footers after that), some headers or other text I've changed are now suddenly messed up. Some characters are switched out with random numbers or look completely garbled altogether. If you download/save the file and view it in Adobe, the issue goes away. My friends I've tested this on come up with the same scenario. I have tried embedding the fonts using Preflight but it only makes things worse. The viewer in IE seems to handle it just fine.

 

Some quick notes:

- The purpose of what I'm doing is touching up manuals originally created at a manufacturing plant overseas.

- I'm using Acrobat Pro 9.5.5 which came with my CS4 suite and should be up to date.

- I'm using the TouchUp Text Tool to make these edits.

- The fonts in question are simply ArialMT and Arial. Substitutions do occur (since my system recognizes it as Arial and not ArialMT) but there's no difference in the print itself.

 

Any help is greatly appreciated -- it's such a frustrating problem. Is there some way to optimize for anyone using Firefox? What is all of this stemming from??

 

Thanks in advance --

Matt

 
Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 28, 2013 12:06 AM   in reply to matt9969966

    Recently - last few months, I think - FireFox did a big change. Before that, to show PDF files, they used Adobe Reader. Now, they have their own PDF viewer built in. It is new, and has plenty of bugs. You could usefully report this bug to FireFox, since some of your users will certainly hit this. Nobody seems to have produced a "what to avoid" list.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 30, 2013 3:19 PM   in reply to matt9969966

    Have you looked at the PDF properties to be sure ALL fonts are embedded. If not, you might be able to use the preflight script to embed them all. That may be the issue, particularly when you are using Open Type fonts.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 2, 2013 7:16 AM   in reply to matt9969966

    As TSN mentioned, it sounds like your browser plugin is having problems with the Open Type fonts used in your PDF. Sorry I can't help more.

     
    |
    Mark as:

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

  • 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points