Skip navigation
blue_pills
Currently Being Moderated

Keeping tiff transparencies in InDesgin

Jun 27, 2013 9:06 PM

Good People,

First let me say I've tried searching for this answer but haven't found it. But if I missed it please direct me to the proper place and I'll go there.

I've created an image of a bottle in Photoshop that has a "reflection" of the bottle underneath it. That reflection fades to a transparency with a gradient mask I made, and to create the illusion further I've taken the opactiy of the reflection (it is it's own seperate layer) down to around 60%. In Photoshop this looks great, but when I export the PSD file to a tiff (preserving the transparency) and place it in InDesign I get a...well, I get a mess. My transparency and gradient disappear, and instead I get a hot mess underneath my bottle. I've tried a million different settings, flattening the image before saving as a tiff, etc. But so far I feel like a chump when I try and get something nice to show my boss.

Any ideas? I'm including a crude representation of what I'm trying to do in case my rambling above isn't very clear (it's late and I just got home).

Any help is appreciated with the force of a thousand suns.

Help.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 27, 2013 9:23 PM   in reply to blue_pills

There is no need to save as a TIFF - just import the Photoshop .psd file directly into Indesign.

-Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 10:22 PM   in reply to Bill Byers

There definitely is an advantage to TIFF with either ZIP or LZW compression, transparency maintained, and maintain layers over PSD in this case. The file will be much smaller in most cases than the corresponding PSD file.

If you truly have a transparent background, that transparency will be maintained from TIFF assuming in fact you did save with maintain transparency option. (I do this all the time quite successfully!)

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 6:34 AM   in reply to blue_pills

A screen shot would help. Also, where are you viewing this? In ID? If so, make sure high quality preview is on and that your link is up to date. If you're seeing it in a PDF, make sure you're viewing in Acrobat or Reader and not Mac Preview.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points