Skip navigation
E.Donnelly
Currently Being Moderated

Copper Wire

Jun 27, 2013 8:44 PM

Tags: #illustrator #problem #help

Hello,

Below is an image I am trying to create using illustrator cs3, the wires are all a shiny copper gradient. I have tried so many different ways to do the transition from the circle to the straight wire and I cannot find any that really work. Any suggestions? Remember I am on cs3 : )

Logo Idea.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 28, 2013 12:43 AM   in reply to E.Donnelly

E,

Presuming a simple colour transition as it appears, you may use a blend, if you:

1) Select the Compound Path with the ring to the right and the straight part to the left and Object>Path>Offset Path with a negative value that gives you just a narrow band in the ring part, colour it very pale, the outer path darker;

2) Maybe adjust the straight part of the inner path to get a slightly broader band with the inner path reaching into the transition between ring and straight part;

3) Object>Blend>Options>Smooth or a suitable number of steps, then Object>Blend>Make.

You may try without 2), then Undo and apply it if needed.

Always work on a copy of the original artwork.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 12:50 AM   in reply to E.Donnelly

do you mean the curve between them or the lighting? for the curve, i drew the circles and the straight separately and used smart guides to get the curves between them in a vaguely right place. for the lighting, this uses a blend between the initial shape and a minus-value offset path:

blend.png

edit: so like Jacob said.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 1:10 AM   in reply to dougofakkad

Hi Doug.

Sometimes, the order of posts is really a matter of chance (and rifts in the time space continuum). I had just been away for almost an hour before seeing the thread.

And judging by the time of the OP, E is probably over there and will only see this thread again in quite a few hours.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 1:25 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

i had this topic open, but was momentarily distracted by some real work. jobs really get in the way of being properly productive sometimes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2013 1:20 AM   in reply to E.Donnelly

E,

You should be able to reproduce what Doug and I have suggested.

The outer shape of the fused wire part in the O(riginal) P(ost), as is the corresponding outer shape in post #2, is the Compound Path mentioned in Step 1) in the first post. This should have a solid dark copper colour.

If you follow the instructions, step 1) will lead you to have an inner path, which you can adjust as described in Step 2). This should have a solid and very pale copperlike colour (or be white).

Step 3) tells how you can combine the outer and inner path to get the colour transistion in the form of a blend between the two path and their colours.

The width of the inner path determines whether the wire will have a fully rounded o r a more flattened appearance, as you can see in both the OP and in post #2; obviously, there will be a flattening of the fuse area, but either or both of the parts (rings shape and straight) of the wire may be fully rounded.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2013 8:57 AM   in reply to E.Donnelly

Ever since Adobe decided to force its customers to rent software, I'm much less inclined to effectively add perceived value to its products by posting demos. So be aware, the operative word here is "perceived." The same general methodology demonstrated below works in most any mainstream vector drawing program.

Setup:

Swatches palette: Define four GLOBAL Swatches:

• Black: 100%K plus significant components of CMY
    • White: 0C, 0M, 0Y, 0K
    • Midtone: ~70%K. Think of this as your base color.
    • Highlight: ~30%K

Notes:

• In step 4, MAKE SURE your blended paths have the same number of anchorPoints and corresponding directions.
    • In step 7, NEVER go nuts with Blend steps. It’s just a waste of data. You never need 256 steps. Note that in this exercise, I’m only using 5 steps.
    • In step 9, add interest by killing some of the symmetry. The shinier the metal, the more reflection detail. One of the most powerful ways to add reflection detail is to simply alter the directions of blended Grad Fills. It can do in seconds what many beginners waste hours on, thinking the only way to get such effects is to resort to Mesh Grads.
    • In step 13, the first of the other bars was made by duplicating the whole Blend object, directSelecting each of the four paths, and using the minus pen tool to remove all but the four outermost anchors of each path. That quickly gives me a bar with the same grads and Blend. Then duplicated that bar, scaled horizontally; flipped a copy for the top bar.
      For the inner bulge, drew a vertical ellipse, applied the same Grad Swatch, changed it from Linar to Radial, then downscaled the ellipse vertically to make it circular, thereby at the same time giving the Radial Grad an elliptical, rather than circular shape.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 3:14 AM   in reply to JETalmage

that is such a good little lesson. several things there that would never have occured to me.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 9:35 AM   in reply to E.Donnelly

What error does it give you? One path may be set to a clipping mask. Look in layer panel and make sure they are both simple paths.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 10:14 AM   in reply to E.Donnelly

Looking in the layers panel is the easiest way to see exactly what is going on. With the paths selected, view the layer panel and see where the selected objects are. You can then drag them out of their current group or release a compound path using the object menu.

You can also cut and past above (cmd/control F), to ensure they are not part of another object.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 10:58 AM   in reply to E.Donnelly

With the compound path selected, choose "Object>Compound Path>Release".

With the compound shape selected, click "Expand" in the Pathfinder panel".

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 12:04 PM   in reply to rcraighead

This was a fun exercise, in other software. Mainly done with bitmap plugins.

EMBLEM.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 12:10 PM   in reply to Mike in British Columbia

Nicely done. Are you saying you did NOT use Illustrator? What "other" software?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 1:03 PM   in reply to rcraighead

I used Corel draw and photo paint, plus alien skin plugins, nothing else.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 1:07 PM   in reply to Mike in British Columbia

Well, that's quite a bit. What does each package cost and are they available on Mac?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 1:10 PM   in reply to rcraighead

Photo paint comes bundled with Corel draw. The plugin is probably a hundred bucks. So total about 600 dollars.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 1:12 PM   in reply to Mike in British Columbia

And "no" they are not available on Mac. If they were, I would be seriously looking at them.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 1:15 PM   in reply to rcraighead

Actually, they are currently talking about doing another Mac version, but not now, that is correct.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 1:41 PM   in reply to rcraighead

I did that.

Ei.jpg

It was a fun exercise, in other software. Mainly done with some plugins.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 1:44 PM   in reply to Kurt Gold

Nicely done. Are you saying you did NOT use Illustrator? What "other" software?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 1:50 PM   in reply to rcraighead

I used FreeHand and Excel, plus some crafty plugins, nothing else.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points