Skip navigation
jcee6464
Currently Being Moderated

How to switch to the 32 bit version of CS5(trial) on Mac?

Jun 27, 2013 10:28 PM

Tags: #cs5 #mac

Hello,

So, I just downloaded the trial version of photoshop CS5 and its currently running the 64 bit version. I want to be able to make gifs so I need the 32 bit version. I've been scrolling through the forum and it seems that the soln given doesn't work since I have the trial version. Any idea how I can get the 32 bit version during my trial period?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 27, 2013 10:56 PM   in reply to jcee6464

You don't need the 32 bit version to make GIF files -- 64 bit Photoshop can also save GIF and animated GIF just fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 10:32 PM   in reply to jcee6464

You had left out the "Import Video Frames To Layers" part, which is quite different from just "saving GIFs".  That's a whole 'nother story.

In the Mac world, the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of CS5 are just one and the same binary.

You choose which version to launch by checking or unchecking the appropriate version in the Get Info dialog box of the application icon.

First, quit Photoshop.  In the Finder select the application icon (NOT the folder in which it is contained !) and do a Get Info on it:  Command+I:

32_bit_launch.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2013 11:39 AM   in reply to jcee6464

This is still not working for me. I'm running CS5.1 on a mac OSX 10.7.5. I've clicked the 32-bit checkbox, on the app icon itself, not the folder...then I go to File>Import>Video Frames to Layers and still get the pop-up: Import Video Frames To Layers is not available in the 64 bit version of Photoshop. Please use the 32 bit version instead.

help!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2013 8:57 PM   in reply to evejweinberg

Did you relaunch Photoshop?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2013 9:01 PM   in reply to evejweinberg

evejweinberg wrote:

…I've clicked the 32-bit checkbox, on the app icon itself, not the folder...then I go to File>Import>Video Frames to Layers and still get the pop-up: Import Video Frames To Layers…

Duh!     You need to relaunch Photoshop first, of course! 

As a matter of fact, it's best to check the 32-bit box after quitting Photoshop, while it is not running.

Oy! 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2014 9:25 AM   in reply to station_two

I have clicked on the application and get info but it does not give me an option for clicking on anything. It just shows a box for shared folder and under that is another box that says Locked but it isn't highlighted and you can't check it.

Now what?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points