Skip navigation
JMK22
Currently Being Moderated

New Computer with Upgraded Software

Jun 27, 2013 10:17 PM

I have a new computer with the Photoshop and Premiere Elements version 11 installed.  On my old computer I was using Photoshop version 5 and Premiere version 3.  I am able to backup my tagging in the organiser, but it simply won't import into the new version.  Do I need to uninstall version 11 on my new computer, upgrade the old computer and then somehow transfer this to the new computer for everything to work properly.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 28, 2013 1:08 AM   in reply to JMK22

Ask in the PSE/ PRE forums for specific procedures. It may however simply not be possible due to the huge version jump.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 28, 2013 1:40 AM   in reply to JMK22

[Moved the discussion here for better help]

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,867 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jun 28, 2013 3:18 AM   in reply to JMK22

From PSE6 onwards a different database was introduced. But it is possible to convert the catalogs from earlier versions and even from the very old Photoshop Album software. The Photoshop Elements Organizer is now called Elements Organizer as it is shared by both PSE11 and PRE11.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/common-catalog-issues-upg rade-elements.html#main_Diff_Elements345

There is no need to uninstall from your new computer. There are two possible methods depending on the number of files you have.

(1) Install another copy of PSE11 (not PRE11) on your old computer (you are permitted two installations) and during installation agree to upgrade your old catalog. You can then use backup and restore if you have an external hard drive. The back up from the PSE11 organizer on your old machine will make a physical copy of all the image files and the catalog (your tags and collections etc) although I’m not sure whether collections get converted to albums. When the back up is completed you launch the PSE11 Organizer on the new PC and  start the restore process.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/backup-restore-move-catal og-photoshop.html

(2) If you are only interested in preserving your tags, you could select all the thumbnails in the PSE5 Organizer (Ctrl+A) and from the File menu choose:

Write Tag and Properties Info to Photos

Wait until PSE5 completes writing the metadata and then copy all your pictures folders to your new PC. Then use File >> Get Photos & Videos >> From Files & Folders and agree to import all suggested key words etc.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,867 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jun 30, 2013 1:08 AM   in reply to JMK22

I would try writing the metadata using the PSE5 Organizer (method 2) and then move your folders to the new computer and the tags will move with the images.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points