Skip navigation
Sal Passanisi
Currently Being Moderated

Capture handwritten signature directly into a PDF from a mobile device

Jun 28, 2013 10:56 AM

Is it possible to capture a handwritten signature into a PDF document rendered through a browser on a tablet or mobile phone?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 28, 2013 1:13 PM   in reply to Sal Passanisi

Sal which Adobe software or service are you attempting to complete this action in?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 2:31 PM   in reply to Sal Passanisi

Moving this discussion to the Acrobat Creating, Editing, and Exporting PDFs sub-forum.

Sal if you are not referencing Acrobat X or XI please post back and I can attempt to move the discussion to a forum which might be able to assist you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 3:03 PM   in reply to Sal Passanisi

Sal this would be the correct forum then if you are using Acrobat X or XI.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2013 1:48 AM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Are the customers using Acrobat or Reader? A hand written signature requires the pencil tool that I do not think is available in Reader. Also, the pencil tool is a bit strange. If you are not careful as you use it (like when dotting "i" and crossing "t") you end up moving what has been written to date. The erase feature of the typical pen does not work as expected either. So it is not an easy annotation tool to use and never has been (why a lot of teachers use PDF Annotator to grade).

More typically, the signature would be done with the signature tool that provides a digital signature. In a legal sense, I think you would find the digital signature the better option (I am a lawyer to get a legal opinion of the digital signature versus a drawn signature in a PDF). The signature tool will work with Reader, but I am not sure what is required for a customer to create a digital signature.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2013 8:36 AM   in reply to Bill@VT

Good to know - the current "pencil tool" is the same tool that was for "free draw" back in the days of Acrobat 5. As a "pencil" or "pen" for either block write or cursive write it is, effectively, useless.

Now, it you want to draw (some what like with an etch-a-sketch) it is dandy.

Be well....

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,664 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 29, 2013 11:08 AM   in reply to Sal Passanisi

Can you provide more information on what tablet/mobile device will be used? It makes a difference since what is available is somewhat OS dependent. Also, the PDF won't normally be opened within the browser window, except maybe for Windows devices. Rather, it will open in a PDF viewer (Reader, PDF Expert, built-in viewer, etc.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 3:34 PM   in reply to George Johnson

The pencil tool that CtDave mentioned is possible, but it is not very useful for text. I don't know any other way to write on the PDF and so you might find it unacceptable. The issue of the browser window versus the actual Reader or Acrobat may also be an issue. Digital signatures are ideal, but for your application it is probably a bit hard to use since they have to be created for effective use and you may have customers who would not want to do that.

It might be useful to just open a PDF and see what you can do with the pencil tool and the signature tool to see if you feel it will be an issue. Trying it yourself may save you a lot of time asking the question in different ways here. Once you think you are looking at what you want, then some folks here might be able to help you further.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 5:52 AM   in reply to Sal Passanisi

Let us know what seems to work for you (assuming something does do the job). The information will be useful for the future.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points