Skip navigation
JayIsForJelly
Currently Being Moderated

MOV. Animation Codec Issues

Jun 28, 2013 3:59 PM

I'm using an intel i7 production machine running Windows 8.

I have both the CS6 and CSS creative suite.

My new job uses a lot of MOV. files rendered out with the Animation codec.

They play fine in VLC player but as soon as I try to play the same file in Quicktime, my machine completely freezes up.

Why ever use quicktime you ask!?..

After Effects somehow uses quicktime to process video information and when I try to edit a MOV. file with an Animation codec in After Effects, again my machine completely freezes up.

I have tested MOV. files that have the H.264 codec, and they run completely smooth.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled quicktime and still the same problem persists.

I assume I'm mssing some Animation codec information, but I have no idea how to fix my problem.

please help!

Thanks,

-JAY

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 28, 2013 8:24 PM   in reply to JayIsForJelly

Animation codec is lossless and was never intended for playback. It's a production codec designed to move files through the pipeline without introducing compression artifacts every time the file is modified. If the VLC player is playing it back smoothly then that's a lucky break because the data rate of an HD Animation Codec movie is higher than the maximum read speed for most hard drives.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 9:58 PM   in reply to JayIsForJelly

As Rick said, animation isn't necessarily meant to play in realtime. The rest is not relevant. There is nothing missing, something is wrong with your QT install like e.g. hardware acceleration not being enabled/ not working... Reinstall, check the relevant system control panel.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 1:16 PM   in reply to JayIsForJelly

What is your OS and your version of AE? Do you have any 3rd party codecs or codec packs installed? What is the version of QuickTime?

I have no problems on any of my machines and I have only heard of random problems involving 3rd party codecs and a few problems with QuickTime pro installations.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points