Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

What programs should I use to make an interactive ebook for ipad?

Jun 28, 2013 4:46 PM

Tags: #ebook #interactive #children

What programs should I use to make an interactive children's ebook for ipad?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 9, 2013 1:05 PM   in reply to Cindyjoy4

Hi Cindy,

I'd recommend using a combination of InDesign and Animate. Depending on your creative, you can take advantae of the text and layout features in InDesign and add advanced animation with Animate. You will need an Apple Developer account to create applications, but you can push applications through InDesign/Application Builder directly to the app store.

Sarah

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2013 10:16 AM   in reply to Cindyjoy4

Adobe has a DPS add-on for InDesign (http://www.adobe.com/products/digital-publishing-suite-single.html) and it handles all the page transitions as well as swapping between portait and landscape. I think the way most people work is the pages are built in inDesign and regions of animation from EA are added second. But if every page had full screen animation, I suppose you may want to build your pages in Edge first.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2013 9:28 PM   in reply to Jerry Witt

I'm going to chime in too! Say all our pages are illustrated and imported into Edge, where interactivity is programmed. Should we work at the iPad's resolution, or is there something adaptive that makes it happy across all platforms (iPad retina & non-retina, iPhone5 & iPhone4?) Thanks! Very curious.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2013 11:15 AM   in reply to Cindyjoy4

Hi, Cindy-

Depending on how you made your book, you may be able to isolate that endpoint in a fresh composition to see if there's a problem with the assets.  The size limitation on the iPad generally relates to the platform limitation on decoding really large files, so you might want to fiddle with that, particularly in making sure that your images aren't larger than 1024x1024.

Hope that helps!

-Elaine

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points