Skip navigation
Forest Ranger Steve
Currently Being Moderated

Audio--narration

Jun 28, 2013 6:17 PM

Tags: #audio

How do I get "Create, Slide show, Audio" to work--My Computer is set up properly and mic is good as I can record narration on other programs?   But not under Organizer, Create, Slide show.  The volume slide just sits there?  Ranger Steve

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 28, 2013 6:54 PM   in reply to Forest Ranger Steve

This isn't a feature in Premiere Elements.

Are you in the Elements Organizer?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 6:58 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

If this is the Slideshow Creator in the Elements Organizer, your options are limited.

You can record audio for one slide at a time.

Or you can record your narration (or music) in a separate program, save it as a WAV file and then browse to add it to your slideshow.

Do you ulimately plan to use this slideshow as is on a computer, or do you plan to put it online or save it to a DVD?

If you'll tell us more about what you're trying to do, we may be able to recommend options.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 7:03 PM   in reply to Forest Ranger Steve

Forest Ranger Steve

What program are you working from Photoshop Elements/Elements Organizer or Premiere Elements/Elements Organizer.

When a version combo of these programs is used they share a common Elements Organizer. But each can be a standalone program which comes with the Elements Organizer. All that being said, where are you...Elements Organizer 11, Elements Organizer 10, or other?

What Windows operating system, including 32 or 64 bit system, are these programs running on?

Now for the specific Slideshow Editor questions

1. In the Narration process there is no slider, just a vertical voice level bar. The narration does not present in the audio bar underneath the filmstrip. The narration is embedded in the slide.

2. If you add media/audio, it goes to the audio bar and Properties to the right of the interface has a slider for the audio bar's audio volume.

So where are you between 1 and 2 above.

What type of a computer microphone are you using? USB or computer jack type?

Excuse me asking but I do not want to take anything for granted...are you selecting a photo or video incorporated into the filmstrip when you are attempting to use the Slideshow Editor's Narration feature?

Let us start and then decide what next if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 8:52 PM   in reply to Forest Ranger Steve

Forest Ranger Steve

The classical question...what are the pixel dimensions of those 150 photos? Those pixel dimensions should not exceed 1000 x 750 pixels in your specific situation.  So, first thing that we have to rule in or out is whether or not you are stressing out the program with photos oversized for the project and the level of your computer resources. Focus here is that DVD-VIDEO standard or standard widescreen will force your work to a frame size of 720 x 480 pixels (NTSC) or 720 x 576 pixels (PAL) no matter how high the resolution of the photos. You will not get better quality trying to use the higher resolution photos as is. All you will do is stress the program to give symptoms such as you present. If you had greater resources you might be able to stretch those "not to exceed" pixel dimensions. But, your Premiere Elements 11 is just a 32 bit application when it is running in Windows Vista 64 bit and as such has all the resource limitations of a 32 bit system.

Another aspect of all this is the audio that you did not hear initially. Where did that audio come from and was it .mp3, WAV? And where was it placed, the audio bar beneath the photos in the filmstrip?

If this is a matter involving the sizing of your photos, we can have you resize them. Are these photos that you have imported into the slideshow 3:2, 4:3, or 16:9? And, what are you heading for DVD-VIDEO Standard 4:3 or DVD-VIDEO Standard Widescreen 16:9?

We are confident that we can work this out, so keep that thought. But, as I continually write, the answers are in the details. So, more details and we will figure this out.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 5:41 PM   in reply to Forest Ranger Steve

I believe that ATR has mentioned the great, free audio program, Audacity, above. That will help you do your narration, and I would then Save the Audio file to PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, which will work perfectly in your DVD Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - the 3:2, 4:3 and 16:9 are Aspect Ratios for Projects, with the latter two being more common for video. The 4:3 is Standard, and the 16:9 is Widescreen.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 1:28 PM   in reply to Forest Ranger Steve

Are these Still Images, or perhaps WMV Video?

The reason that I ask that rather odd question, is that a recent Windows update caused WMV material (that we have seen so far) to be cut off with black in the top half, like the Crop Effect had been mis-applied.

I have not heard of the Bug (thanks MS) affecting other media, but suppose that it is possible. Take a look at the Announcement #1 at the top of the main forum page, to see if you got that bad MS Update.

Just thinking about a behavior, though one that does not fall into what we have been seeing for the last few days.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 1:31 PM   in reply to Forest Ranger Steve

Forest Ranger

Although Premiere Elements 11 in Window 7 or 8 64 bit can allow for a bit more stretching of the classical do not exceed 2200 x 1238 pixels or thereabouts, that 150 now 172 photos at 4000 x 2248 pixels suggests to me that your stretch is a bit too much for your particular computer environment, especially when you cite:

As I near the end of the project (172 slides) all of a sudden a black band covers the top half of my slides on the time line.  The slide shows fully above but I was wondering what this black band means?   Got any ideas?

I take it that you did not resize your photos for this project as suggested. Do you have Photoshop Elements 11 as well as Premiere Elements? You could use Photoshop Elements 11 Full Editor/File Menu/Process Multiple Files for a batch resizing job. There is also a free program call IrfanView that should serve the purpose.

Any chance you have some .wmv video where you are seeing

As I near the end of the project (172 slides) all of a sudden a black band covers the top half of my slides on the time line

There is an epidemic of that going on right now with regard to 1/2 wmv display related to a recently downloaded and installed Windows Update. See Annoucement at top of this forum.

Please review and then we can decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 2:53 PM   in reply to Forest Ranger Steve

Did you pluging your microphone then staring the program, it works for me.

Adobe Pat 206

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 3:26 PM   in reply to Forest Ranger Steve

Forest Ranger

Do you have Photoshop Elements 11 or any version of Photoshop Elements?

If all are 4000 x 2248, that has a 16:9 aspect ratio should lend itself to batch resizing which Photoshop Elements can handle via its Full Editor/File Menu/Process Multiple Files. I will post the how to if necessary..

You are heading for DVD-VIDEO Widescreen Format on DVD disc, correct?

Are you going to be doing any export to a HD file with this same Timeline?

I have another plan that I am trying to work through the details. More soon.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 3:58 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Forest Ranger

Grand plan or major dud. All with just Premiere Elements 11 and your 172 photos at 4000 x 2248 resized to 1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720 (for this example).

Start out with two folders on the desktop....one with the 172 photos (4000 x 2248) and the other empty.

Open Premiere Elements 11 workspace. Click on Organizer Tab at the bottom of the workspace in order to open the Elements Organizer.

Import all 172 photos 4000 x 2248 pixels 16:9 into the Organizer (Files Menu/Get Photos and Videos/From Files and Folders, navigating to the desktop folder with the photos to resized).

Create an Album which will have  172 photos (4000 x 2248) in it in the wanted order.

Highlight all the photos in the Album. Then File Menu/Export to New Files(s) and set up as indicated in the following screenshot.

Ranger.JPG

To get to the Custom Setting, go to Size and Quality section, Photo Size, and click on the arrow to show the drop down list of choices which includes Custom. In that Custom Size dialog, set for a pixel dimensions which is 16:9...could be 1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720 or less but whatever having a 16:9 aspect ratio. Be sure to set location for the created and saved files to that empty desktop folder.

Focus: DVD-VIDEO Widescreen (our assumed target) will have a frame size of 720 x 480 (NTSC) or 720 x 576 (PAL) no matter how large those imported photos are. The widescreen will include a 16:9 flag to scretch for display after encoding. As I said, depending on your computer resources, photos oversized for the project will create project failures in various forms, editing and/or exporting.

Please review the above and let us know if any of that worked for you. If not, we will think about this some more.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 4:25 PM   in reply to Forest Ranger Steve

Forest Ranger

DId you read my post 16, You should be able to do that without Photoshop Elements.

Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements are standalone programs. Each has an Elements Organizer.

When both programs are on the same computer, they share the same Elements Organizer.

So, you are not forcing Premiere Elements 11 to do anything that it cannot in the Elements Organizer that is part of it via clicking on the Organizer tab at the bottom of the Premiere Elements 11 workspace.

If you need more of a step by step, please do not hesitate to ask.

You should do just great, but remember if you are starting from 4000 x 2248 16:9, that is a big drop off when you get to DVD-VIDEO with its 720 x 480 (NTSC) and 720 x 576 (PAL). That drop off also exist from 4000 x 2248 to 1920 x 1080 (Blu-ray).

Please let us know where we can help.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 5:34 AM   in reply to Forest Ranger Steve

Steve (Forest Ranger)

Just to be safe, if you have not already, please check out the Announcement at the top of this forum regarding the 1/2 wmv display related to a recent Windows Update. Once we have that out of the way, then our focus on the photo sizing will  be clearer. Then, we can talk about that Elements Organizer route and others for photo resizing that I mentioned previously.

Looking forward to your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On..regarding 1/2 wmv display related to recent Windows Update

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1252950?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 9:53 AM   in reply to Forest Ranger Steve

Steve

As far as I am aware of, it is only that recent Windows Update that is implicated in the current wave of 1/2 wmv display.

I am not sure what that "Dirver Package ENE (ENECIR) HID Class" is. So best let it be for now.

Until proven otherwise, I think your answer is going to be resizing those 172 photos.

But, maybe a mini test before....

a. In your opened current project, go to File Menu/Save A Copy. Then work with that copy for the following troubleshooting.

b. Open the copy of the project and delete 1/2 of the Timeline content, but leave in the portion where the black exists.

c. Save/Close/Re-open that edited copy of the project. Are those black areas still there?

If the black is still there, then let us talk about the resizing your photos...whether you go the Photoshop Elements, Premiere Elements' Elements Organizer, or IrfanView way. If you want, I will go step by step with you to the finest point in the how to so that you get those photos resized. Please think about it. And, if you would like to give it a try, please re-read the Premiere Elements' Elements Organizer way and let me know where I lose you in that. I will re-write accordingly or go into a IrfanView how to.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 10:08 AM   in reply to Forest Ranger Steve

Steve

Thanks for staying with the troubleshooting.

I am trying to dust off my memory. I am recalling that i devised a scheme a few years back for someone in similar situation to minimize the redo. Let me see if I can recall the plan and how we can impliment it your case.

First, where are these 172 stills saved to the hard drive (the place from where they were imported into this particular Premiere Elements project)?

Were they all in the same hard drive folder at the time of import into Premiere Elements?

More later.

Thanks again.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 3:27 PM   in reply to Forest Ranger Steve

Steve

Recap time.

You say that you have about 172 photos (4000 x 2248 16:9). Those are 172 files. But you wrote

It's all in one file in my C drive under pictures.

Did you mean that all 172 of the photos 4000 x 2248 16:9 are in one folder in Pictures on the Local C drive?

Also are you saying that you got the Elements Organizer File Menu/Export as I described to work for you to do the resizing job? I am not sure what you mean by ."....I can convert multiple slides to smaller (400) size." What did you mean by that? Where are you program and feature wise?

Each of the photos will have a width and height value in pixels. We are trying to get those photos to 1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720 (both 16:9) so that we do not get into any aspect ratio issues. If that 400 is the width or height value for one of your photos, you are aiming too low. And, if you have a photo at 400 pixels width and 400 pixels height, that is not 16:9.

If you can get me those 172 photos as 1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720, the rest is easy getting them into an album. The album is to keep the photos in order. We may not even need that. If you can get those resized photos in order in a desktop folder, then we can get that folder into Premiere Elements. In view of your results with the photos as originally sized, the focus should be on getting them resized.

Please let me know how I can supplement what you already understand.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2013 9:16 PM   in reply to Forest Ranger Steve

Forest Ranger Steve

Many many thanks for that follow up.

Great news indeed. I sense your success coming soon. Regards to your friend for the assist.

Please update us on your progress when you get a chance.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2013 9:14 AM   in reply to Forest Ranger Steve

Steve

Can you post a jpg screenshot of the Timeline showing these photos with black bars? Just to make sure that we are in sync.

I know that you said that you did the deletion of the Windows Update kb that was causing problems for all with regard to 1/2 wmv display. I believe you said that it did help.

But, please check for the Windows Update kb again in the likelihood that it came back. If that is the case, we need to delete it again. But before you do, plan strategy...

a. For now, set Windows Update so that it requires permission from you to download and install any of these Windows Updates to your computer.

and

b. If you can catch it in pending Important Windows Updates, then right click it there and select Hide.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points