Skip navigation
Jane Howitt
Currently Being Moderated

problems with Ctrl+T in CS6

Jun 29, 2013 4:44 AM

Tags: #photoshop_cs6 #ctrl+t

My friend is trying to learn Photoshop CS6 and keeps hitting problems. Normally, I can sort things... but not this time.

Whenever she tries to use Ctrl+T to change sizes she just gets a message that says there are no pixels there to select.

I've put the same images into my Photoshop on my Mac and there's nothing wrong at all... So why is she having promlems?

She's on Wondows 7 and CS6.

I'm using Mountain Lion and CS5

Replies
  • JJMack
    6,011 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jun 29, 2013 5:58 AM   in reply to Jane Howitt

Ctrl+T is the shortcut for free transform.  Free transform can transform different things and some things can not be transformed.  So transform is not always a valid option and sometimes transform will fail. If free transform is recorded into and action the free transform step may fail  on some documents.  Common reason Free transform fail are thing like: The background layer is the current target in this case transform is not valid for the background layer does not support transparency so the layers transparency is locked there are no pixels that can be transformed.  An empty Layer can not be transformed for it has no pixels data to be transformed.  You friend is having a problem using Ctrl+t because  the current document state do not meet a requirement that transform requires.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,011 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jun 29, 2013 9:01 PM   in reply to Jane Howitt

Jane Howitt wrote:

Could it be something to do with the document setup?

BTW, is there another way of resizing something in PS apart from Ctrl+T?

It is most likely something she is doing.  You would need a screen capture that includes the layers palette when she get the error message to see what the current Photoshop target is.

Other operations do change sizes of things.  For example if you add or remove canvas the background layer size will change pixels will be added or removed from it. The other layers sizes remain the sane but their relative position over the canvas will be different. They may even seem to be cropped because the canvas size is acting like a clipping mask.

Selecting outer areas of a layer and clearing those pixels will change the layer bounds it will be cropped, be smaller.

Rastersizing an layer with a layer style like a drop shadow will add pixels to the layer content. 

There may be more just think of what must be done to do something and ask you self did the number of pixels in the document change during an operation.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,930 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jun 29, 2013 9:31 PM   in reply to JJMack

The 'No pixels' error can mean that the selected layer is empty, but it can also mean that there is an active selection, and no pixels are inside that selection on the selected layer.  I don't think a locked layer would result in that error message if you try to use Free Transform. In fact you tend not to get any error message. 

If you are certain that there is no user error, and the image still won't play nicely, try selecting all but the BG layer (if it is empty), right click and choose Duplicate layers.  Then choose New, and copy them to a new image.  I have have several times used this to get out of a messed up image file.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points