Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Red & Green Arrow Icon when Importing

Jun 29, 2013 9:53 AM

Does anyone know why I have a red & green arrow icon appear, when I am importing a clip (v 11)?  I then have to repeat the process, and the clip appears.  The first 80+ clips were fine, then this problem started.  This is very frustrating!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 29, 2013 10:03 AM   in reply to 23996645

Welcome to the forum.

Exactly where are you seeing the red-green arrow icon, such as in the Project Assets Panel?

Usually, that will indicate that the media is "pending," meaning that operations are still being performed on the media, during Import. When media is Imported, several operations take place, such as Conforming of Audio, and generation of the PEK (Waveform display) files. If the media is any form of MPEG, or similar, then Indexing is also performed. Depending on the speed of one's computer, and the Duration and complexity of the media, this can happen almost instantly, or take a few minutes. See this article for more information: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3892177#3892177

If that IS Media Pending, I would just go get a cup of coffee, and let the various operations complete.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2013 1:04 PM   in reply to 23996645

There is something missing from the picture that you paint for your issue.

Road Tested...

Premiere Elements 11

Windows 7 Professiona SP1 64 bit

Dual Core, 3.2 GHz, 8 GB RAM

223 jpg photos each unedited with pixel dimensions of 3264 x 2448 pixels. All 223 jpg placed in a folder created on the computer desktop.

From there the folder (as a folder) was imported into Premiere Elements 11 with its Add Media/Files and Folders and from there automatically into Project Media.

a. If I dragged the unopened folder from Project Media to the Timeline Expert view, the jpg photos were placed as ordered on the Timeline (none missing, all in order).

b. If I had opened the folder in Project Media, all 223 jpgs photos as 223 thumbnails, each displayed with the image of the particular jpg. It took a 1 for the Timeline thumbnails to populate with images going from left to right across the Timeline (given that the Video Track Display Style was set to show all Thumbnails as the Track Display Style.

Again, however you ordered those photos in the Desktop folder would be the order maintained in Premiere Elements when the folder got there. Another way to maintain photo sorting is to create an Album in Elements Organizer, order the photos in the Album, and then import the Album.

So please review what you have been doing to find at what is happening. From what you said you want to do and what I have just described, you do not need Premiere Pro.

What I have described in often in use by those with much more than 170 photos when doing a Time Lapse project in Premiere Elements.

Where are those 170 photos in folder being imported from in the Add Media/Files and Folder process?

Please let me know if I have misinterpreted your goals and results.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2013 2:45 PM   in reply to 23996645

My 170 clips are all in a desktop folder, sorted correctly in date/time order.

On a Windows machine, the Desktop Folder has some special properties.

I would create a sub-folder, below your Project's folder, called MPEG_Files, and then Move the Clips from the Desktop Folder to that sub-folder, and test.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2013 2:49 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

One additional quick question:

Do you happen to have active, real-time anti-virus, or anti-malware scanning running?

If so, I would turn those OFF for the test.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2013 2:58 PM   in reply to 23996645

Will those 170 mpg clips important into the Elements Organizer 11?

If so, why not this scheme..

In the Elements Organizer 11 import your 170 mpg files via its File Menu/Get Photos and Videos/From Files and Folders

When they are all in the Elements Organizer, create an Album and place all 170 clips in the Album. Once the mpg files are in the Album, put them in the order that you want. Next highlight them all at the same time, click anywhere in the highlight, and select Edit with Premiere Elements.

You should find all 170 mpg files on the Timeline Expert view in the order that you want them.

Have you tried that?

If so, what are the problems

a. mpg files cannot be imported into the Organizer

b. you are dealing with large total duration

c. other

I have another idea which may go nowhere but I am going to try it out first before posting it.

Please let us know the pros and cons of the Album route. I road tested it with a large number of MPEG4.avi files from my camera.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 2:05 PM   in reply to 23996645

Michael

Thanks for your follow up and looking forward to your progress.

Just so I am sure what you are following up on, my suggestion was to use the Elements Organizer's Album concept for arranging your mpg files followed by use of the Elements Organizer's Edit In Premiere Elements command to get the ordered mpg files into Premiere Elements Timeline ordered.

I do not recall seeing that approach or comments on it in Hunt's posts. Maybe I missed it or maybe you are following up another approach that he mentioned?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 3:41 PM   in reply to 23996645

Michael

Let us see what we can do with the Elements Organizer 11 on Windows 7 64 bit.

1. Have you gone through the drill of deleting the preference file for the Elements Organizer. If not, the path to the file to delete is:

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Organizer

and in the Organizer Folder is the psa.prf file that you delete.

Be sure to have Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives On.

There is another possibility with some ifs...

If you can get into the Elements Organizer 11 and if you can open its File Menu/Manage Catalogs, you could try to create a new catalog, repair/optimize the current one.

However, when you write the following, that sounds to me like major overload. Do you gain any measure of success importing all but in  smaller batches into the Elements Organizer?

my photographs folder is 170GB and the video folder is 269GB.

But getting back to your original description of "170 mpg video files", just how many MB or GB do they represent? Is the 269 GB video folder = 170 mpg video files that this is all about?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 6:47 AM   in reply to 23996645

Michael

You mentioned that Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements were both closed last night. By that I am assuming that you mean closed the usual way from within the program. If that is the case, please check the Task Manager/Processes to make sure that these programs are really closed after you have closed them from within the program. I know that you said previously that you had been down that road, but my question now relates to the specific latest instance that you observed.

If it were not for your large media involved, I might rush to a memory leak issue, either with Premiere Elements and/or Photoshop Elements or another of your computer programs (maybe Firefox if that is your browser).

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 3:48 PM   in reply to 23996645

ATR makes an important distinction with "Task Manager/Processes."

There can be certain modules, or processes, that are running, and can only be seen from the Processes Tab. In the Programs Tab, they do not show up, since they are only part of a program, and not the official program, itself.

Since you did not specifically mention "Processes," I wanted to make sure that you had seen exactly where ATR was directing you to look.

Going back, I had a little Adobe application, Version Cue. It came with several of my other Adobe programs, and would launch by default, at bootup. I had a few issues with it running, when trying to do updates, and a few other operations in my Adobe programs. The first few looks into Task Manager did not show Version Cue, but when I went to Task Manager/Processes, there it was. As I did not use it, I just disabled its launching in MSCONFIG, but spent a few minutes puzzeled about how it could be running, and not showing up in the main Task Manager Tab.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 6:32 PM   in reply to 23996645

When you talk about having backups, do you have a backup for the catalog as well as for photos and videos originals on the computer hard drives?

What happens if you create a new catalog instead of degrading the current one?

Premiere Elements 11

Elements Organizer 11

File Menu

Manage Catalogs

...that will put the current one aside for the time being, while you start a new one.

Have you been there and done that? Do you see any down side to that?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 7:00 PM   in reply to 23996645

Michael

If I am understanding you correctly, you created a new catalog via the Elements Organizer File Menu/Manage Catalogs. When you create a new catalog, the program is not transferring your photos and videos into the new catalog. The old is being phased out (but not killed). The new catalog will be an empy new one with no media unless you opted to import the sample music with it automatically.

If you are 10 minutes into some new catalog activity, I am assuming that is the program phasing out the old which has a large inventory.

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 7:44 PM   in reply to 23996645

Michael

How adventurous are you, and are you willing to take the consequences good or bad?

Based on your latest report, the size of the catalog appears to be prohibiting from creating a new empty catalog for further work.

Since you have opted out of backing up your catalog (at this point, I am not sure if it will be possible), please think about the following the worse case scenarios.

Your current catalog's name can be found in Elements Organizer 11 File Menu/Manage Catalogs/Catalog Manager dialog.

Go to

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Catalogs

and in the Catalogs Folder find the name of your current catalog. Send it to the Recycle Bin.

Then go back to the Elements Organizer 11 File Menu/Manage Catalogs/Catalog Manager dialog and try to create your new "empty" catalog.

Weigh carefully, hopefully affording you and your media protection against worst case.

What do you think?

ATR

Barring any unforeseen glitches, you should be able to Restore your previous catalog from the Recycle Bin.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 8:26 PM   in reply to 23996645

Michael

It is just the catalog with links to the originals. It should not touch the originals.

But you have so much there. I am not sure if this go as smoothly as expected. Expect the worse. But protect the originals at all costs.

And, what I wonder is if the Recycle Bin will accept it.

Check the file size of this particular catalog in the Catalogs Folder in route cited, before doing any deletion to the Recycle Bin. You can set a maximum size for Recycle Bin, but....

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 10:17 AM   in reply to 23996645

Michael

Have you gotten to the point where no way are you going to get 170+ mpg video files into the Elements Organizer (even in its cleaned up state) either in one batch or in small batches at a time to get all of them into the Organizer?

Please verify that at this time the core of the issue is not the order of 170+ mpg video files in the Elements Organizer, but just getting the 170+ into the Elements Organizer.

Can you do the following, for now forgetting about the ordering the video files...

Place all your 170+ mpg video files (or copies of them whichever is safer) in a desktop folder.

Open Premiere Elements 11, use Add Media/Files and Folders and its Add Media dialog...highlight the folder, click Import Folder.

It might take a while, but can you import that whole folder into Premiere Elements' Project Assets. If you can, drag the folder (do not open) just drag the folder to the Timeline. What happens...success or failure?

If that works, then click on the Organizer Tab at the bottom of the Premiere Elements workspace into order to get to the Elements Organizer interface. Are the 170+ mpg videos there? Or, crashes or other failures?

If success to this point, the fine tuning details to follow.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 11:26 AM   in reply to 23996645

Michael

When files are imported into the Premiere Elements workspace, they are copied to the Elements Organizer. I was counting on that as a back door to get into the Elements Organizer.

That seems to have worked in that you said that you had icons with the hourglass in the Elements Organizer after the folder import into Premiere Elements. But, did you have a thumbnail with hourglass to correspond to all 170+ or just a few like 28 to 30 in the Elements Organizer?

If you have all 170+ thumbnails in the Elements Organizer, but with hourglass that is another aspect of this to be dealt with (hopefully).

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 12:17 PM   in reply to 23996645

Michael

Sounds like you would be better served by using the desktop folder to import into Premiere Elements as a folder and keep the Elements Organizer out of the equation. In that type of scenario, you would depend on storage of the originals at a hard drive level in your own organized folders/files devised structure.

I do not know if you have the time or interest, but, if you had 170+ jpg photos and tried to get them into your Elements Organizer, do you have the same issues as if you were using those 170+ mpg videos?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 3:16 PM   in reply to 23996645

Michael

I just imported 324 jpg photos (each with pixel dimensions of 3264 x 2448 pixels, each with file size of 3 MB).

It was so speedy that I had to be quick to get at the Task Manager CPU readings. Apparently there was a peak of 100% but only momentarily then back to 2% or less. I think the good news is that your CPU spiked at 100% and did not remain at that level. How long did the CPU remain at 100% and how long did it take for your photos to get completely incorporated into the Elements Organizer 11?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 8:34 PM   in reply to 23996645

Michael

I am going to try to get a close look at the following which is the Elements Organizer 11 Help PDF to see if there are any claims about video limitations in the Elements Organizer.

http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/elements-organizer_reference.pdf

I will try to get my comments back to you on what I find or do not find in it sometimes tomorrow.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points