Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Epub page size

Jun 29, 2013 9:57 AM

What document page size do I use for my people readers to have the best viewing... Suppose  one page is one big .jpg?  For the internal pages what's the best size to use. I have pages that are just an jpg.  Other are combination of text and photos. Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 29, 2013 10:21 AM   in reply to 999Rick

It depends on what EPUB device you're optimizing for. Generally, aiming for about 600 x 800 pixels is what I've heard is an optimum size for an image when you want it to fill a page. But as for document page size, that really makes no difference: Since the text reflows, it will vary depending in the device viewing it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2013 6:45 PM   in reply to 999Rick

You'd be sizing your images in Photoshop. You'd save them, probably as JPEG or PNG, and anchoring them into your InDesign document. They will retain the pixel dimensions when you export to EPUB.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 12:40 PM   in reply to 999Rick

I went through the same situation recently. I was testing my epub in an Ipad. What I was trying to achieve was to avoid an image to split when reading the book in landscape mode (Ipad two page view).  I basically did it by trail and error. But it will be interesting to know from more experienced users how to avoid it. I'm curious to know how resolution would affect the size. It's my understanding that the size of your image depends on its resolution. Let's say a 600 x 800 pixels image will be different size at 200 ppi than at 300 ppi.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 2:18 PM   in reply to 999Rick

I think my case is a little different that yours. I was using a book file made for printing to export to epub. So I had to tweak some things. But, if you start from scratch with just epub in mind, then what you are saying applies, I think.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points